E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
jallantaylor

My Ride: E46
front end popping.. cheap strut bearings?

Hi all..

I recently replaced most of my front end..

upper/lower control arms and bushings, outer tie rods, end links ...installed HD bilstein struts and new strut bearings..

It seems good at first, but I did notice it was a little "squirrelly" when I backed out one day and cranked the wheel hard..

I had it aligned and drove it hard, hitting lots of road breaks to make sure it has no weak spots...

and a month or two later (I do not drive a lot) I am noticing the front end pops when I am coming into a corner and hit a rut or something. It sounds like typical play in a worn suspension.

I figure A) I must not have gotten something torqued properly.. or B) this is karma for buying the cheaper strut bearings last minute.

Any ideas? It will be very difficult to look at it or get it to the shop.. trying to get some thoughts before I get to it.

thx!
jallantaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Amhague

My Ride: 330xi
What brand did you get? I'm having a similar issue and I wonder if it's the meyle strut bearings.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Amhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
mr ilia

My Ride: 98 323is, 04 325ic
A) I must not have gotten something torqued properly

Check your sway bar links. Likely loose.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
inebriation

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I had cheap strut bearing fail on me when I did my strut tower repair. My strut towers were not flat on top causing premature wear on them and it blew. Check for flatness in your towers and if they are bulging, use the wood and hammer trick and install strut tower reinforcement plates also to stiffen up your front.

I'm not saying that is your problem but its worth a quick check. Just pop your hood and run your finger from the outside diameter of the top of the strut tower towards the center bolt of your strut and check for any deviations.

The last time I had popping up front while cornering hard it was my speed sensor wire hung on my brake dust cover....
inebriation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Definitely check your endlinks. I had something very similar, that I couldn't track until I had the car in the air and no load on the front end. My driver side endlink was slightly loose and I couldn't tell while it was on the ground.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #6
jallantaylor

I have re-torqued this crap twice.. still making a pop. I am kinda frustrated at this point. I dont think there is any way something is not torqued tight enough. It could be possible that something is too tight - but how could that cause a pop?

The noice is light - generally i notice it when turning the wheel (say, to the right) and touching the brakes. Normally, I slow down a little more as I am making a turn. Does the brake + turn combination put pressure on particular components?

What is the purpose of this infmaous strut bearing anyway?
Old 11-01-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
jallantaylor

pop and alignment

update;

Recently put new tires on and had it aligned.

I noticed that when I was driving and turned the wheel slight right/left I could let go and it would continue making the turn. I figured the tires/align would fix this... it didnt.

probably unrelated to the popping noise - but thought I would throw it out there. I noticed the time stamps on the alignment machine did not match the times that they should have provided the "before" spec and the time they provided the "after" spec. I wonder if they even did an alignment??

Not sure how to read this crap - but I uploaded the specs and the part from the manual if anyone cares to help me understand what it means..

Still a pop - on right angle turn either direction. Finally able to look at the thing today so will look at the bearings etc. What is the "bulging tower"? the lower part of the strut housing?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW Scan.pdf (3.94 MB, 10 views)
Old 11-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #8
jallantaylor

Note: I would expect the wheel to return back to straight after letting go - not continue the turn. As it is - the car is a lot of work to drive. You have to bump it over a little if it drifts - then you are drifting the other way.. its a continual adjustment of steering to keep it between the lines.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #9
inebriation

Sounds to me like your steering rack might be the culprit. Have you ever had it replaced? Mine has been done twice and I am @180,000 miles.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #10
jallantaylor

mother of all bad news brother.. I was wondering if that might be it. (And if I should do it before taking it back and sticking this alignment up their nose) .. how much is the thing?
Old 11-01-2014, 02:06 PM   #11
inebriation

Quick search on google looks like $660-1,200 on Pelican Parts, and eBay looks like around $200 for used. I am in no way saying that this is the solution. I would recommend reading up on how to diagnose your problem, or consult a professional if you're not comfortable.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
jallantaylor

it makes sense.. its one of the few things I did not replace and fits within the clunking and the not returning to center. If I could afford to consult a professional I would probably be driving a newer car ... which rack did you use?
Old 11-01-2014, 02:15 PM   #13
inebriation

I went with OEM I believe they were around $800 or so.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:14 AM   #14
-lynel-

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
I was getting a spring clunk/bind noise after going to camber adjustable coilovers. I disassembled the strut top and put in a little more lube between the top spring hat and the bearing support for the camber plate. Solved my issue. Maybe try this first as a cheap/free fix
-lynel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #15
jallantaylor

thanks guys!! Still working on it... I sprayed some pb on the bottom of the springs yesterday and it stopped for a while, but it did pop once today, so I am not sure.

Also, I corrected the torque on the top mounting nuts - so, hard to say what is working just yet.