E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #81
rawbar

My Ride: 2003.5 M3 vert
thanks, i was expecting the big bar across the top. I think I do have that part, the long screw thing is in there, I'll take a closer look and see if I can figure out how it's supposed to work.
rawbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:11 AM   #82
crackerlee

My Ride: 2003 325Ci Conv.
Should be 94R. Prices vary. Autozone*$165.99; BJs $119; AAA $127.50

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
crackerlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 01:46 AM   #83
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbar View Post
thanks, i was expecting the big bar across the top. I think I do have that part, the long screw thing is in there, I'll take a closer look and see if I can figure out how it's supposed to work.
I'm sure you got it but I took a pic in case. That long screw holds down a bracket along the base of the battery. The rest of the screw's length is just so you can reach it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e46cabriobattery.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	549768  
Old 03-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #84
IcedTea_822

My Ride: 2004, 325Ci Convert.
I got mine from Pep Boys before Xmas 2013, for $165 with tax, but i think they increased the price to $199 now.
Bosch Platinum Series AGM Battery Group Size H7/L4/94R
IcedTea_822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:36 PM   #85
Fritzo2162

My Ride: 330Ci Convertible
Watch out for the drip hose on the side of the battery. Mine snapped off and I have to MacGyver a connection to attach the hose again
Fritzo2162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #86
BimmerTex

My Ride: '07 550i, '05 325Ci
A couple of of follow-ups on the battery

First post...2 questions:

1. for the E46 convertible (2005 325 Ci), does the battery have to be "registered"/"coded"/"programmed" once you've replaced it?

2. I'll search the forum for this but...car starts fine, but the convertible top will start opening but stops after just an instant...no motor running sound or anything...it just stops. Read somewhere that could be a battery issue - that's why I'm thinking about replacing the battery. Any thoughts?

Thanks on both!
BimmerTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #87
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
No, E46 battery does not need coding/programming/whatever. Just put it in. And don't let some db dealer/indy tell you otherwise as some have said. You do on the newer models but not on the E46. As far as the top, not sure, but bad batteries cause all kinds of problems on these cars.

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #88
BimmerTex

My Ride: '07 550i, '05 325Ci
Very helpful - Thanks John!
BimmerTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #89
cgj

My Ride: 2006 325CIC
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
No, E46 battery does not need coding/programming/whatever. Just put it in. And don't let some db dealer/indy tell you otherwise as some have said. You do on the newer models but not on the E46. As far as the top, not sure, but bad batteries cause all kinds of problems on these cars.

For curiosity sake, what is this coding needed on new BMW's? What is it used for?
cgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 05:53 AM   #90
avincent52

My Ride: 325iT 5 speed/Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgj View Post
For curiosity sake, what is this coding needed on new BMW's? What is it used for?
Found this explanation on the Munich Motorsport site.

BMW Battery Registration
The electrical system in late-model BMWs is so sophisticated that it tailors charging as closely as possible to both the type and age of the battery. There’s a computer that controls the alternator. When you replace a battery, this computer really needs to know if you’ve replaced the battery or updated the vehicle from a conventional Lead Acid battery to an Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) type; it charges the AGM differently than a traditional battery.
This process of updating the alternator-control computer is called Battery Registration. Ignoring the registration process after replacing a battery won’t necessarily trigger a Diagnostic Trouble Code or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (‘Check Engine’ or ‘Service Engine Soon’ light). However, be warned that skipping the battery registration process can dramatically shorten the life of a battery in these vehicles and- worse yet- damage components within the entire electrical system.
We have diagnosed some BMWs with failing batteries installed less than a year simply due to failing to have the battery registered! The charging system often shortens the life of an unregistered battery by charging it too aggressively, especially when it is cold, and sometimes damaging other control units. More than once, we have replaced an alternator that failed prematurely because battery registration was not performed when the vehicle’s battery was replaced.
avincent52 is online now   Reply With Quote