E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #21
choxor

My Ride: JDM
If you want to look badass then paint a skull on your hood. Pretty much as badass as you can get.

As far as halos, there's already a mega thread in the lighting section about them plus countless other threads. Start there.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #22
Gunsnbacon
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 330ci

^ Xi has stripies, just regular halogens and the ci has just stock xenons, love both V

Gunsnbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #23
lllRazorlll

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopsta View Post
I love my OEM xenons, cost me $650 but worth it over the cheap ebay ones the previous owner put on. I am looking into some angel eyes myself.
Where did you get OEM xenons for just 650? Was that just the projectors?

Anyway, what kind of headlights do you have? If your car is a dark color getting clear corners and side indicators would look good especially if the tail lights are red/clear/red format. If you do have xenons, like everybody else said, keep them that way. Angel eyes are nice but anything else for that matter would look dumb.

Last edited by lllRazorlll; 07-22-2014 at 03:24 PM.
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #24
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
My opinion on headlights is, I'm for them. Especially at night.
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:40 PM   #25
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdstrickland View Post
My opinion on headlights is, I'm for them. Especially at night.

I don't like them. Was merging on the highway at night and while pressing the turn signal lever I accidentally flashed my brights at the car in front.

What's the car signal for "sorry didn't mean to be an ass"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #26
bimmergirl43

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Lol yea i am not looking to make my car a ***** lol just....nicer haha
bimmergirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #27
bimmergirl43

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330i
Can you buy just the clear sides or do you have to get all new head lights. sorry i haven't looked at them that closely yet
bimmergirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 12:05 AM   #28
Bafffyyy

My Ride: is Individual
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
You can just buy turn indicators since you have a sedan. Look it up on jlevisw or bimmian. I'm sure other vendors have them as well, but I've only looked at those two myself. They have LED variants with clear lenses. Do want.
GAS Rebuilt DISA
Liqui-Moly fluids
OEM ///M Strut Bar
Bafffyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #29
Walter_

My Ride: 2004 325 SMG coupé
Your so lucky that you can easily install those angel eyes just by clicking off the cover. My car is a facelift model and they glued the cover on to the headlight, i must put them in a oven or must make the glue weak with a hairdryer to pull of the cover. Is there someone with a E 46 facelift model who has installed DEPO lights with built in angel eyes?
Walter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:21 PM   #30
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
No, but I am a guy who has taken his facelift lights apart many times. It's SUPER easy. Don't be afraid of the oven. Just 15 minutes at 200-215F and the glue is softened enough. Before heating you take out two torx screws from the lights. After heating you lift up a clip and then use a big flathead between the clear lense and the black plastic body and twist it. This leverages the lens away from the body. Do this near all clips to keep them from "reclipping" then proceed to pull the rest off.

On reinstallation you simply press the lens in as far as you can while cold, then heat same as before, then take a big towel and squeeze the light back together. I basically hug my headlight really hard to distribute the force more.

I really need to do a DIY guide on facelift light disassembly.

Common Sense is officially dead.

Last edited by WDE46; 07-28-2014 at 04:24 PM.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #31
Gunsnbacon
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Quote:
Your so lucky that you can easily install those angel eyes just by clicking off the cover. My car is a facelift model and they glued the cover on to the headlight, i must put them in a oven or must make the glue weak with a hairdryer to pull of the cover. Is there someone with a E 46 facelift model who has installed DEPO lights with built in angel eyes?
I thought they only did that with the later facelift models that have the one piece cover over the turn signal and headlamps. My 02 facelift sedan just popped off like my 01 coupe.

Gunsnbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 05:07 PM   #32
WDE46

All facelift coupes have glue sealed headlights. everything else has clips and a rubber seal only.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #33
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I have FXR 3.0s, Denso ballasts, and CBIs ready to go into my project car. not cheap...

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #34
Walter_

My Ride: 2004 325 SMG coupé
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
I really need to do a DIY guide on facelift light disassembly.
That would be great!
Walter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:01 PM   #35
WDE46

I have a passenger light extra lying around. I'll make one sometime.

Sent from AutomaticDoublePostBimmerApp Potato

Old 07-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #36
WDE46

I have a passenger light extra lying around. I'll make one sometime.

Sent from AutomaticDoublePostBimmerApp Potato

Old 07-28-2014, 09:18 PM   #37
lllRazorlll

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I have FXR 3.0s, Denso ballasts, and CBIs ready to go into my project car. not cheap...
I basically have the same exact setup
Old 07-29-2014, 11:16 AM   #38
CarbonZHP

My Ride: is uncomfortable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_ View Post
That would be great!
Already been done. Have done mine like 15 times. Angel Eyes. Fixing angel eyes. Painted high beam bowl. Painted blinker bowl
CarbonZHP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:52 AM   #39
DEADF15H

My Ride: DD is a 2001 325i
Here's an opinion Bimmergirl, just get the cleared front corners and side markers to start. It will change the look of your car without destroying your pocketbook.
Tinting headlight lenses really makes no sense to me. If i'm going to spend money increasing light output presumably for safer driving at night, does the "bada$$"factor of tinting lenses overcome the safety factor of not being able to see a pedestrian,deer, or tractor trailer rig trying to back into a tight squeeze, in time to stop. I once saw a study that said if your driving 60 mph and someone built a brick wall across a dark road, you would never be able to stop in time with the then current headlights available.
My wife hit a flat bed trailer, stretched across the road on a dark 2 lane country highway 10 years ago, she's fine now after a year of rehab. In an E46, she would have been decapitated, Trooper said there were no skid marks. The trailer had subpar lighting on it's sides.
More Light Good, Less Light Bad.
As for the rest of your car, I know your Dad has your best interests in mind, but unless he's a BMW car guy, he's probably not fully aware of how important Preventive Maintenance is on a 10 year + E46. Mangos cooling guide and the "Just bought your E46" guide will save you in the long run if you want to keep it on the road. My 01 ran great with no problems, but once I started going through it, step by step using the guides, I could see how the hoses, fittings, gaskets etc... were degraded and were ready to go at any minute. This car is way more demanding than our 03 Toyota Highlander or my buddy's Ford Ranger. I'm close to finishing, after 2 years, all the preventative stuff, and have complete confidence in driving it on a 2,000 mile trip. After doing all the preventative stuff, I'm fairly confident, that with the help of this site, I can fix most issues that will come up, if I'm on the road or out of town. In other words, I'm almost ready for some angel eyes.
DEADF15H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 04:32 AM   #40
silky87

My Ride: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJin2552 View Post
If you have Xenons, you don't really have to worry about changing them out for anything better. BMW Xenons are unbelievably good, mine came with halogens so I retrofitted mine.

Halos are cool, but if you want to be unique, you probably want to find some amberish halos, like that of the ones on the E39 5-Series. The white/6000K halos are very common.

Tinted headlights are pretty pointless, it degrades your light output and you'd get a lot of crap from enthusiasts here. If anything, you could paint your reflector bowls to give a more aggressive look, it almost looks tinted, but doesn't diminish the light output (for Xenons, it does for halogens).

With the LED strips, if you decide to go down that path, I would recommend that you do it on the upper part of the headlights. Like that of the LCI 1-Series and 5-Series. I was planning to go down this path and see how it looked, but I have yet to do it, and I don't think anyone else has, so no pictures to post of an E46 with this design.

Here's how my headlights look if you want to go down the path I did.

I simply have Quad Xenons, flat black reflector bowls and shrouds, and Umnitza Orion V2 halos.
MMMM I love it!
silky87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2002 330, halo, headllights, led strip lights, opinion