E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-16-2014, 01:03 AM   #421
GavinCA

My Ride: 325i
Is my car under warranty?

I got a 2003 model/year 325i with a M56 engine. It has about 120K miles.

This car is made in 2002. So, is it under the 150k/15y warranty?

My fuel pump begins to make loud noise, I might need to check it soon.

Thanks guys.
GavinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:24 PM   #422
ajv85483

My Ride: E46 325I
I'm currently only getting 15.5 MPG on my 2004 325i... I'm not getting any codes on my SULEV but I'm sure it has something to do with it. :-/ help me!?
ajv85483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:06 PM   #423
la325i

My Ride: 2005 325i
How many miles do you have on your spark plugs? After I replaced mine, I noted an improvement with my 2005.

Are you talking about city or highway mileage? I have seen mine in the high teens if I have to do a lot of city driving.
la325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #424
ajv85483

My Ride: E46 325I
City driving, i really have to go easy on it and I get like 15mph, if I'm driving semi-aggressive I get more like 12-13 MPG.
ajv85483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #425
karo22

My Ride: E46 325i 2003
hello guys , am karo 22 years old & i own a BMW e46 mod 2003 ! i live in Lebanon ... Lately my bmw didn't start at all ! The garage said its the fuel pump ! but the fuel pump is sealed inside the fuel tank ! i searched for a new tank but couldn't find any! its a metal fuel tank with the pump inside ! so i had to make a little surgery for my car & put a fuel tank for 2002 , its a plastic fuel tank instead of the metal one that comes with the 2003 ! I was obliged to take this decision because i couldn't find the original one !
since then i can feel my car is slow , no more power in it as before more than that , its burning fuel very fasssssssstttttttt & i feel like its not a BMW anymore ! pleaseeeee can someone help me figure out the problem because i reallly like this car & i don't wanna sell it !!!!!! thanks in advance

Last edited by karo22; 05-19-2014 at 05:02 PM.
karo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:27 AM   #426
karo22

My Ride: E46 325i 2003
guys any information that could help plzz !
karo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:54 PM   #427
DwayneC

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i SULEV
Question about SULEV xmission.

I have a 2003 325i SULEV. I may need to replace the xmission. It seems that there's no difference between the SULEV xmission and the regular xmission made for the other states 325i's. My local BMW dealer mechanic couldn't tell me for sure, but it seemed like he maybe just didn't want to tell me the truth. He told me he was pretty sure I needed one specifically for the SULEV. Or maybe that's just me being paranoid.

So is there any difference? If I get a used xmission, would it have to come from another SULEV BMW? Or could it be any 325i with the same xmission? Or even an American car that used the ZF5HP19? And where's a good place to order one? Everyone I talk to seems to be real cloak and dagger on this.

I was also told that either way I would have to get it towed to the dealer for the program change. Is that true?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DwayneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:57 PM   #428
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneC View Post
I have a 2003 325i SULEV. I may need to replace the xmission. It seems that there's no difference between the SULEV xmission and the regular xmission made for the other states 325i's. My local BMW dealer mechanic couldn't tell me for sure, but it seemed like he maybe just didn't want to tell me the truth. He told me he was pretty sure I needed one specifically for the SULEV. Or maybe that's just me being paranoid.

So is there any difference? If I get a used xmission, would it have to come from another SULEV BMW? Or could it be any 325i with the same xmission? Or even an American car that used the ZF5HP19? And where's a good place to order one? Everyone I talk to seems to be real cloak and dagger on this.

I was also told that either way I would have to get it towed to the dealer for the program change. Is that true?

My transmission went out and I replaced it with a 5HP19 out of a 330cic. The transmissions are virtually identical. The torque converters are slightly different (I'm guessing slightly different stall speeds), but they're perfectly compatible.

I have no idea on who/what would be a good source for a used trans. Mine came from a friend of mine who was doing a manual swap.

I've had to have my car towed into the dealer and had to eat the tow fee. Luckily our insurance covers most of the fee.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:59 PM   #429
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by karo22 View Post
hello guys , am karo 22 years old & i own a BMW e46 mod 2003 ! i live in Lebanon ... Lately my bmw didn't start at all ! The garage said its the fuel pump ! but the fuel pump is sealed inside the fuel tank ! i searched for a new tank but couldn't find any! its a metal fuel tank with the pump inside ! so i had to make a little surgery for my car & put a fuel tank for 2002 , its a plastic fuel tank instead of the metal one that comes with the 2003 ! I was obliged to take this decision because i couldn't find the original one !
since then i can feel my car is slow , no more power in it as before more than that , its burning fuel very fasssssssstttttttt & i feel like its not a BMW anymore ! pleaseeeee can someone help me figure out the problem because i reallly like this car & i don't wanna sell it !!!!!! thanks in advance
Quote:
Originally Posted by karo22 View Post
guys any information that could help plzz !
If it's a plastic tank, then you probably have an M54 engine. That's the more common engine and it does not have a sealed tank. The pump is replaceable. Only certain cars in America got an M56 engine with a sealed stainless steel tank.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:05 PM   #430
oxfordm5

My Ride: rickshw 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwayneC View Post

Just make sure you get a ZF 5hp19 Transmission, there were 2 transmissions they used in the e46 the other one being a GM unit which although physically will mate up it has totally diffrent electronics and gearing , if buying used check the bushing in the front of the oil pump these tend to go bad ,also a rebuilt torque converter is always a good idea. Good luck
oxfordm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #431
la325i

From what I can tell, the 2005 SULEV used the ZF transmission and the regular 325i sedans used the GM transmission. Too bad you aren't in Southern California as there is a place in Camarillo that works on the ZF -- or at least they did a couple years ago when I bought fluid from them to do PM on mine. They had much better prices on the fluid at the time than elsewhere.

They also sell parts and overhaul repair kits. While I wouldn't undertake a rebuild on my own -- unless I was doing it as a learning experience and had a lot of time -- you might find an independent shop to do the work. You can find them at http://thectsc.com/

Good luck.

Last edited by la325i; 06-04-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 04:21 PM   #432
DwayneC

My Ride: 2003 BMW 325i SULEV
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordm5 View Post
Just make sure you get a ZF 5hp19 Transmission, there were 2 transmissions they used in the e46 the other one being a GM unit which although physically will mate up it has totally diffrent electronics and gearing , if buying used check the bushing in the front of the oil pump these tend to go bad ,also a rebuilt torque converter is always a good idea. Good luck
This may be a dumb question, but why wouldn't the GM xmission work considering that the non-SULEV 325i (from what I understand) was made with the ZF (it was made in Germany I believe) from 00-03? The info sheet at the top of this thread says that the 2 engines perform the same. So why would it be that the GM xmission is so different that it couldn't go with the SULEV model, but works okay with the other. There didn't seem to be any changes in the engine that altered it's internal workings or anything. The closest is a slightly different fuel injector design.

I'm not trying to be difficult. This whole problem just hit me at a really bad time, and my finances happen to be limited. I'm not in a position to overpay by a bunch. (I guess I really shouldn't have loaned my brother all that money. Oh well.)
DwayneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:02 PM   #433
Chaplian

My Ride: M56 SULEV
So I have a question about the exhaust. If I change the muffler to something like a ZHP unit, will that void my warranty? I'd rather not have that happen, even though I want a bit more growl.
Chaplian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:49 PM   #434
jpjohnston

I know for a fact... If you don't get your car serviced by BMW. Your warranty is void. They have ways to tell if you've got other mechanics working in it. Don't fall into that trap! To summarise... Any mods will void your warranty...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jpjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #435
la325i

The post stating that "If you don't get your car serviced by BMW. Your warranty is void" is a misstatement or misunderstanding of the law.

Take a look at: http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles...ne-maintenance for example. Most states have similar provisions. So long as the non-dealer work didn't cause the problem / damage the factory warranty is not voided. In a similar fashion, if a mod or non-dealer repair caused the problem / damage, the warranty may be voided.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 PM   #436
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjohnston View Post
I know for a fact... If you don't get your car serviced by BMW. Your warranty is void. They have ways to tell if you've got other mechanics working in it. Don't fall into that trap! To summarise... Any mods will void your warranty...

uh no. My car hasn't seen the dealer since the 4 year included maintenance ended. They changed out my secondary air pump couple months ago no questions asked. Even with my angel eyes (turned out to be the relay for the pump) and bunch of aftermarket parts.

Legally, they can't void the warranty either unless they can prove that the mod affected the part.

Last edited by eneka; 09-02-2014 at 11:03 PM.
eneka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 11:15 PM   #437
jpjohnston

I stand corrected... In no in Ireland if they feel your car had been tampered with they void warranty... That's from a BMW mechanic mate of mine

Old 09-02-2014, 11:20 PM   #438
jpjohnston

It makes sense... Why would they stand over some back street mechanic work... Probably out of curtousy they stood over yours. Good customer etc...

Old 09-02-2014, 11:33 PM   #439
la325i

It is undoubtedly a question of local law and I have no idea what the law is in Ireland or the UK. Here in the States, the federal and state consumer protection laws do not permit voiding warranties for non-dealer parts or service. You need to check your local laws to see what applies in your country. It may also depend upon what your BMW mechanic mate means by "tampering." It could refer to an improperly performed repair that caused damage rather than just a non-BMW repair or service.

This thread concerns the SULEV with the M56 engine, which was made to meet specific emission standards -- especially for California. One of the requirements was that BMW warranty certain parts for a much longer period than normal. Most of the discussions in this thread relate specifically to whether certain parts / repairs will be covered by BMW after the usual warranty expires. For example, the fuel pump is in the sealed gas tank and the whole tank must be replaced to fix a failed pump at a cost of $5,000.00 or more. Similarly, the tank must be replaced if there is a filler-neck problem as it is also part of the tank. In the case of the SULEV, you will see a lot of older cars (especially in California) that still have certain things covered by warranty that would clearly not be covered on an non-SULEV version of the same car at the same age / mileage.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:46 PM   #440
jpjohnston

Holy shit. That was a mouthful. Lol. Didn't realise you were in the US. Ah well, well not fall out over it bud.
Good talking to ya

Tags
m56, sulev