E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2014, 07:00 AM   #21
Thaniel

My Ride: 99 323i, 93 357i
Got my Galletto chord the other day. I gave it a try and in only a few min it downloaded a 32kb file. Pulling into the XDF was no problem. In the header of the xdf just set "base offset (Hex)" to 48000 and check Subtract. Like in the attached screen shot.

Thaniel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	For Partial.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	556219  
Old 04-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #22
Thaniel

Oh forgot to add. I took the full download and in a hex editor copied out the section from 48000 to 4FFFF then compared it to the partial dump (from the same DME) and they were 100% exactly the same. Perhaps everyone already knew that. But to me this is good news as either full or partial can be looked at easily.

Last edited by Thaniel; 04-30-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Thaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #23
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
can you make the XDF to work with partial 32kb only? That would be great.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:42 AM   #24
Thaniel

Hello Everyone....Is anyone besides Haken reading this stuff??? if no one else has input Haken and I can just work through e-mail

I have been matching the 323i bin to the 328 bin. In doing so I look at any maps that aren't identical and determine what's going on. On some the actual table size is different. Say 16 bytes vs 32 bytes. But is it because the x axis is shrunk or the y axis is shrunk or both? In the axis point data there is a byte that tells the length of each particular axis point set. Which I had used to match up the axis points. In taking that data and combining with the map sizes I could tell which axis needed to be shrunk. After doing this and looking at the maps to check my work I noticed a the data that seemed to be filling incorrectly. Looked like it should be filling "ROW" wise but was doing Column wise. A simple click in tuner pro to check how it'd look. Yes it looked much better Row wise. I check the A2L and it clearly states column. Strange. I try a few more maps. Rectangular maps show this issue dramatically (say a 2x10) where in a square map (6x6) it only essentially switches the axis. But after more looking it is most definately ROW wise. Which like MSB first or Last is in direct contrast to the A2L. Is this perhaps some miss information added to the A2L's do trip us up. Or is it a result of using a different data reader than what the A2L's were designed for? Probably the latter. But either way I'm guessing this descrepancy applies to more than just this A2L. Eveyone likes visuals so here it is.

Graph on the left is with Column wise as specified in A2L. Graph on right is Row wise.

And another just for example.

Seems to me the winner is ROW wise. I've already bulk changed one of my XDF's and one A2L. Want to do a bit more checking and I'll post on my drive. But I have some landscaping work to attend to this morning.

In other news I've mapped out practically where every byte from the A2L is in the "partial read". Thought I'd give a go on looking for the Immo off feature that is mentioned by some. Honestly I don't need it as I'm not swaping engines but It would be convient to be able to swap in my spare ECU's. AND....this is the most interesting part. It seems like the white whale of ECU tuning. I love puzzles and challenges so it drew me in. If it is in the partial read I've narrowed it to probably a dozen possible bytes. But not sure how to proceed from there. Trial and error? I've probably spent too much time on this as it doesn't help me with my original project of turbo charging my car. But it was educational. I'll post up some detail of my findings later. Will take a bit to make them coherent.

Speaking of my original project. I also bought a checksum corrector program (was $16 USD). It appears to work but I've not done any flashes yet. I have maps and values, and flashing tool and checksum corrector. The realization hit me. Looks like I'm about ready to start trying to modify the ECU parameters.

Next steps....
-Finish tweaking the XDF's and A2L's based on new knowlege.
-Translate the abreviated and german titles or comments into something I can understand.
-Look at eng-ine logging so I can tell what the changes do to the engine
-Add turbo charger
-Break engine
-Rebuild engine
-repeat last 2 steps until bored

If anyone has any input let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
can you make the XDF to work with partial 32kb only? That would be great.
Yes, It does work with the 32Kb. Just make the adjustments in the XDF header as shown above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Column_vs_row.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	556713   Click image for larger version

Name:	Column_vs_row2.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	556714  

Last edited by Thaniel; 05-03-2014 at 07:49 AM.
Thaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #25
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
Im still reading all your posts but acutally you are much beyond me I ll have to digg into that stuff later, as im really busy the next weeks.

keep up the awesome work and dont forget MS43

Last edited by daniel_f.; 05-04-2014 at 01:58 PM.
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 AM   #26
jony787

My Ride: 318ti M52tu SWAP
I have been playing with my ms42 since i will be using it in my Ti. Im translating it but its taking a while. I have the conf switches and the big maps. Also ISN location. Hit me up. Btw look into the correction factor on the damos....... It will tell you all the good stuff.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
jony787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:07 AM   #27
Thaniel

I looked over the Data a bit more and concluded that Row wise for all items appears to be correct. I'll Rebuild the XDF with it row wise. I'd have it done but I was trying to resort it by Address

Thaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
Im still reading all your posts but acutally you are much beyond me I ll have to digg into that stuff later, as im really busy the next weeks.

keep up the awesome work and dont forget MS43
Thanks for the comment. I went ahead and looked at the MS43 and found the same thing. I'll post in the MS43 thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jony787 View Post
I have been playing with my ms42 since i will be using it in my Ti. Im translating it but its taking a while. I have the conf switches and the big maps. Also ISN location. Hit me up. Btw look into the correction factor on the damos....... It will tell you all the good stuff.
Thanks I'll drop you a note
Old 05-05-2014, 12:02 PM   #28
jolaine

My Ride: E46 330 cabrio

Stunning work. And by all means hack the checksum too if you can.. This world has really been waiting for this stuff to be free and available to all.
jolaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #29
Thaniel

Updated XDF and A2L posted. I found the original A2L is not sorted in Address order. Did sort the XDF by address within the values, axis, curves, maps. The way my XDF .xls builder sheet is structured they are on separate tabs and sorting the MAPS and curves together is not convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolaine View Post

Stunning work. And by all means hack the checksum too if you can.. This world has really been waiting for this stuff to be free and available to all.
Thanks.

Personally I'm not going after the checksum as I have no idea how to incorporate that into TunerPro (not sure I'll even use TunerPro as I'm liking ASAP2Demo and it is free as well). I'm not a checksum expert (barely know what they are). But from what I read the MS42 is one of the simplest algorithms to reverse engineer. For now the $16 program for me is good enough. I need to move on to making changes to the ECU.

Thaniel
Old 05-06-2014, 04:56 PM   #30
se93

My Ride: BMW 328ci AW MTECH2
Nice work Thaniel

For checksum correction you cold have Used Winols. Have you taken a look at the project file i sent you?

Also hi jony787. Dd the MS42 project file tune help you?

Nice to see the hard work to make this tuning knowledge available to everyone.

Regards

Mark

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #31
Thaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by se93 View Post
Nice work Thaniel

For checksum correction you cold have Used Winols. Have you taken a look at the project file i sent you?
Thanks,

Yah probably could have made Winols do the checksums. Don't have a good handle on Winols at the moment.

I did take a look at the project file. It helps me a bit to understand how Winols Works. Also I was able to use the english descriptions to help with the decoding some of the german abreviated titles. However there are only 34 maps identified and labled in the Winols project and 249 maps in the A2L And then there are all the curves and values. But the definitions you've provided unlocked a few popular abreviations that I hand not figured out (ZW for instance). I haven't gotten to comparing the actual map values or anything yet.

Oh and the offsets in the 328i map you have is different from the 328i map I have. I guess there is a software variation? I expect that means the A2L values will need to be remapped (like I'm doing for the 323i) to read that file complete.

Speaking of translations does anyone know what these stand for?
Zyka
EPZ
KR
FAK
There are tons more but those seem to be abreviations used often. The descriptions with the translations provided and others I've grabbed from other sources are making the descriptions more and more usable. Soon i'll make an XDF with the attempted translated values.

Learning more all the time.

Thaniel
Old 05-07-2014, 11:34 AM   #32
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
I'm reading as well, but I don't have any useful input. I'd love to see this working on an MS43. If anyone needs some favors from a mechanical design standpoint, I'd be happy to exchange favors.

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:33 PM   #33
HakenTT
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 323i with S54
KR should be klopfen regler = knock control

FAK should be = factor

Were is Daniel_f der Deutches Jude when we need him? All he does is just milks someone else's hard work, you can't blame him he is a jude

Last edited by HakenTT; 05-07-2014 at 02:36 PM.
HakenTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #34
Thaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
I'm reading as well, but I don't have any useful input. I'd love to see this working on an MS43. If anyone needs some favors from a mechanical design standpoint, I'd be happy to exchange favors.
Thanks for commenting. It inspires me to continue working if I think others might use the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HakenTT View Post
KR should be klopfen regler = knock control

FAK should be = factor
Added these to the translation tables. Also picked through some other sources that had some abreviation definitions. The titles are starting to make more sense. Some are probably wrong and there are some things that still need translated but we can fix them as we go? Guess I need to see how big the field limits are for titles and descriptions.

I'd post the list of new titles but with axis points and all its 2875 lines long. But it's on the google drive if anyone want's to look and provide input.

FYI
Here's a link to a project I did for a year or so. Decoding the E46 can bus messages. http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...an-bus-project

In truth I've yet to implement any of the can bus information on my own project cars (but have helped others to implement). It was interesting and fun to do even if I never use the information. I feel the same about this A2L decoding XDF creation. I'm learning things and having fun. My satisfaction is increating something useful. If others help it goes faster but I'll keep poking at it. That's what hobbies are about. (yes I know my idea of fun is odd)

Thaniel

And I'm starting to wonder if my can bus knowlege can be used for data collecting to see how well a tune is working. using the OBDII monitoring packets are comparatively really slow. Just not sure how much engine data is passed over can bus (Throttle position, RPM, Engine temp are). Will have to look at that later.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #35
dd690

My Ride: 320CI
Hi all, i have just started reading into all this stuff and have a KWP2000 on the way. I would love to help in anyway but a lot of the stuff your saying is flying over my head.

Subscribed and look forward to your progress!
dd690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #36
dd690

My Ride: 320CI
on a side note i have a spare DME from a 318ci, any chance you can give me tips on how i hook it up to the KWP bench style? less chance of bricking my daily driver i have a fair range of tools and a little experience with pcbs etc.
dd690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:59 AM   #37
jared_wiesner

My Ride: 1999 328i
Very interested in this as well, but like has been said, I likely can't be a ton of help. You know more than I.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:37 AM   #38
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
Very interested in this as well, but like has been said, I likely can't be a ton of help. You know more than I.
Well, you probably could be even more help you could imagine

Its just up to you guys to make a list of things you would like to be able to tune

With the discovery of the function description, MS42 is much easier to handle from now.

As stated, its just up to you guys

(edit) VIN is positioned at 0x3C4A (13x1)

Last edited by daniel_f.; 09-05-2014 at 04:19 PM.
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote