E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #141
03_330Ci

My Ride: 03 Dinan 330ci
seeing as i bought the headers can we see that dyno graph now?
Old 08-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #142
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03_330Ci View Post
seeing as i bought the headers can we see that dyno graph now?
I suppose.

Techniks versus Kromer Krafts.

Incidentally I still think there's a bit more power with exhaust cam tuning, but that's for over the winter. I'm not tearing into the car again with the National Championships coming up so soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oldnew.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	568171  
Old 08-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #143
jared_wiesner
All Natural

My Ride: 1999 328i (M54b30)
Wow awesome stuff solo! It's amazing what you miss when you leave for a while. I'm glad people like you are still pushing the boundaries for this platform. This may have to be the next thing I do to my car.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-07-2014 at 10:23 AM.
jared_wiesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #144
SoloII///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared_wiesner View Post
Wow awesome stuff solo! It's amazing what you miss when you leave for a while. I'm glad people like you are still pushing the boundaries for this platform. This may have to be the next thing I do to my car.
Are you still working on Dremeling out your throttle body?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:21 PM   #145
jared_wiesner
All Natural

Heh, it's still sitting on my bench. I really never expected that to really work dremeled out anyhow I just wanted to see if the walls had the material to go big enough to make it worthwhile to get someone to bore it/have the chance to run it at full throttle and see if it made power, but the chance of it being able to really idle without stalling would be pretty slim.

In any case, I kinda decided it wasn't the major bottle neck when I realized the big error I made by piping all of my exhaust into a single 3 inch magnaflow cat right after the merge. I'm making a test pipe this week as the whole car is going back together from subframe re-enforcement and the exhaust is handy anyhow. There is no way that a quasi "high flow" single cat would be able to flow enough. The whole car went on the back burner for a while (basically the whole time I was gone), but I'm really excited to see what happens when I uncork the exhaust.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-07-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #146
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
Quote:
You aren't going to want to do that for a daily driver. Better off with a good set of cams if you can swing that.

However, for a track car that lives above 3,500 RPM, this is great.

AERA Hi-Perf Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #147
jared_wiesner
All Natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartenderPlease View Post
You aren't going to want to do that for a daily driver. Better off with a good set of cams if you can swing that.

However, for a track car that lives above 3,500 RPM, this is great.
Bartender, I already have cams and pretty much everything else that is common done... (see my cam DIY guide http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...124&highlight= ) while the car is daily driven, it is more track rat than commuter.

Loads and Loads of E36 guys run the M50 manifold on the street without missing the bottom end power that much. Hell I lost some bottom with the cams, at this point I figure why not go all the way. Help those cams with the job of getting this thing to breathe.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-07-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #148
Nwken

My Ride: 04 330ci
All that money could of got you a rebuilt S54 motor. Not sure of price of conversions on a 5 speed though. I do like the idea of going with the larger intake runners but prefer stock air box to Cai just a sound.... BMW engineer's can design a good airbox. Post more dyno results
Nwken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:06 AM   #149
BartenderPlease
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 328i Sport
Quote:
Bartender, I already have cams and pretty much everything else that is common done... (see my cam DIY guide http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...124&highlight= ) while the car is daily driven, it is more track rat than commuter.

Loads and Loads of E36 guys run the M50 manifold on the street without missing the bottom end power that much. Hell I lost some bottom with the cams, at this point I figure why not go all the way. Help those cams with the job of getting this thing to breathe.
Definitely do the m50 swap! Especially since you have cams and want more high end rip

Just like you said, let the cams make the head flow more air.

AERA Hi-Perf Engine Builder
| BBS | FK | Rogue Eng | K&N | Exhaust | 330i Brakes |
| b30 manifold | ported head | FX-R/Orion V4 | LEDs |
| Alcantara | Khoalty Knob | JL Audio |

BartenderPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #150
SoloII///M

The M50 loses no low end torque versus the m54.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #151
jared_wiesner
All Natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwken View Post
All that money could of got you a rebuilt S54 motor. Not sure of price of conversions on a 5 speed though. I do like the idea of going with the larger intake runners but prefer stock air box to Cai just a sound.... BMW engineer's can design a good airbox. Post more dyno results
You can't race an engine swapped car in many classes without being classed unlimited. Unless you have crazy money, you don't wanna try and swim with the sharks there.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-08-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #152
jared_wiesner
All Natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloII///M View Post
The M50 loses no low end torque versus the m54.

Even with the loss of the DISA? That doesn't make sense.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:11 AM   #153
SoloII///M

I think you need to read this thread from the beginning before stating that.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #154
jared_wiesner
All Natural

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloII///M View Post
I think you need to read this thread from the beginning before stating that.

Don't worry, I had read the thread start to finish with much interest before I made that comment. Like I said, this is great stuff. I know you stated that you only see 5-7 ft/lbs lost under 3700 if everything else is optimized. That kind of power loss down low is going to be felt though, especially in stop and go where that kind of loss could be 10 percent or more of the power that the engine is making at 1000-2000 RPM.

Like you said, and I agree whole heartedly, for a car that lives above 3500 rpm, who cares? For those on the street its a little bit of compromise, just like for the e36 guys.(One that I think is entirely worth while) Either way, we would need a comparison dyno from very low rpm to see the difference down low. But if the car is only making 50 ft/lbs and is losing 7 thats a decent hit.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 08-08-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #155
jared_wiesner
All Natural

I had another thought on why it could be that your are not seeing that same power as the other car with this manifold. Did he use a template like you did to port match or did he do it using dye/paint and the actual manifold. With variances in castings being a reality and using the template you did to port, the manifold ports may not perfectly match up to the head. It's at least very likely that a small part of the gains are simply from perfect port matching. Usually the tried and true old school way to do this is to put machinists dye/or paint on the head and then bolt down the manifold and port based on the markings left. This way you can custom fit the pieces to each other and eliminate manufacturing tolerances. Maybe yours isn't far off, but if you have the manifold off again during the winter I'd try painting up the head and bolting it on to see if there are any lips. Its obviously better if the manifold port is slightly smaller than the head port than it is the other way around.

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 09-24-2014 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #156
SoloII///M

Nope. The power issue has been resolved.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:16 PM   #157
unevolved

My Ride: 2003 325i
What class are you running in? I apologize if I missed it, I looked through the whole thread. Can't watch the video, though... =[

In a bacon and egg sandwich, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. Be that pig.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #158
SoloII///M

SCCA D Street Prepared
Old 09-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #159
jared_wiesner
All Natural

Excuse the dirt, plan on having the head cleaned after.

My manifold when bolted up varied quite a bit in the relation of manifold ports to the heads ports.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	574995  

Last edited by jared_wiesner; 09-25-2014 at 07:40 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:02 AM   #160
SoloII///M

I think you're confused as to how I created the templates, but I'm glad your method worked for you.