E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2014, 01:59 PM   #21
Swater330i

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent_ View Post
BMW engineers aren't stupid. BMW engineers are also not allowed to design a street car with no restrictions on cost or noise levels. It's funny what kind of an intake they choose when they are allowed to dismiss those concerns though...

I'm not claiming the stock intake is so restrictive you gain huge numbers by replacing it, but claiming the intake we get from the factory is the best performance solution is naive at best...
That engine bay is sex.
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSubie View Post
IMO, the euro clear corners looks too aftermarket/ricey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davconelectric View Post
This 323 would most likely handle and drive better than a stock e46 m3.
Swater330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 02:30 PM   #22
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Knock it off with the BS or you're gone
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #23
m4ndark

My Ride: 2005 M3 COUPE
Alright, with some research i found this topic so I dont need to create a new one. I need help with chosing the CAI for my 05 M3. The store that i usually buy runs aFe, K&N and VF ( wich are maaaaaad expensive ). Between aFe and K&N, what brand should i go with ? And why the aFe stage I is way more expensive than the stage II ? it doenst make sense ...

Thanks in advance
m4ndark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #24
erickonphoenix

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ndark View Post
Alright, with some research i found this topic so I dont need to create a new one. I need help with chosing the CAI for my 05 M3. The store that i usually buy runs aFe, K&N and VF ( wich are maaaaaad expensive ). Between aFe and K&N, what brand should i go with ? And why the aFe stage I is way more expensive than the stage II ? it doenst make sense ...

Thanks in advance
I won't speak for the M3, but on my 325 Touring I found it a useless upgrade. I also added a throttle body spacer as well. It may have improved throttle response in the 80 to 90 mph range due to ram air effects, but it's so little I don't know if I imagine it or it's a real effect. Come a cool fall morning I will run some new numbers against my stock numbers I pulled last year. I doubt it will be much. Fortunately I did a 70 to 100 run so if there is any ram air effect on the CAI it should show up here.

Last edited by erickonphoenix; 07-21-2014 at 11:22 PM.
erickonphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #25
m4ndark

People usually think it is usuless since it will increase your HP by less than 10% of your total. you wont feel the HP upgrade but, tecnicaly, the +8-12 HP it is there. I just wanna know which brand is the best ? If you can run again just upgrade here with the new numbers, will be interesting. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #26
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
There really isn't a "better". As long as they all have some sort of heat shield between the engine bay and where the filter sits they won't lose you power and they'll gain you a few, but not enough to make much of a difference really. None have crappy quality where they'll fall apart as far as I've ever heard. The filtration is fine on all of them unless you want to nitpick with the infamous test results that tend to appear in threads like this that involve testing scenarios that load the filter with about 5 pounds of dust/sand in half an hour. (Not exaggerating that figure, it's incredible overkill and IMO invalidates the test for any real world on-road use purposes) So just go with the one you think looks best or has the best price. Honestly what you're buying is the sound, and from reviews I've read they all sound great. I have the K&N myself and love it.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #27
m4ndark

Yeah iam warned that you wont feel HP gain, becouse well obviously i wont, CAI like these ones will give you less than 10% of the total HP of you car so it will be really hard to feel.
Iam looking to buy it with Shark Injection so you can feel more how your throttle respond faster and the car itself gets faster increasing the drivebility.

Maybe i will go with K&N FIPK since its few bucks cheaper than aFe and people say they're good too.

Thanks bud
Old 08-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #28
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree.

I'm a firm believer that the CAI is worth some WHP, & should absolutely be considered in any N/A setup.

OP: The cheapest CAI I know of is from Cosmo Racing, they claim 7 / crank HP, realistically figure 4 to 6 WHP. Cost is about $165 shipped.

http://www.cosmoracing.com/productin...d=165&pid=1486

If you were to save up & buy a Shark Injector (from forum sponsor Turner Motorsports) at the same time,.....well you'd probably send me a case of my favorite beer; because it would feel that good. Promise.

Good luck,
Rob43

Let's add an S to that link:

http://www.cosmosracing.com/

Great intake. Paired with ebay headers, shark, and OBX pulleys I dynoed 168 in a 323i @ Mid-Ohio in July. The motor was a pulled from a junkyard 2 weeks prior to this.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:31 AM   #29
philliplong

My Ride: 2002 325CI
Where did you get your headers?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-12-2014, 04:21 PM   #30
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
Let's add an S to that link:

http://www.cosmosracing.com/

Great intake. Paired with ebay headers, shark, and OBX pulleys I dynoed 168 in a 323i @ Mid-Ohio in July. The motor was a pulled from a junkyard 2 weeks prior to this.

Yep, that's another good one.

Great dyno numbers.

Rob43

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 05:22 PM   #31
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
Yep, that's another good one.

Great dyno numbers.

Rob43
Thanks! I still feel that the car is at a disadvantage in the series I put it in. I wish I could squeeze a few more horses out of it.

Last edited by badfast; 08-12-2014 at 05:24 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #32
Rkatek321

My Ride: 2000 323i
At best an air intake can improve some throttle response and give you a more aggressive sound when you hit the gas. I have an AEM intake I got from Amazon. It was under $175 from what I remember. I have had it on for a year now and acceleration is still better than it was when I had the OEM box. Don't misunderstand...better acceleration doesn't mean I gained any hp...just better throttle response. Like so many guys will tell you...BMWs are already efficient cars...but there is always something better than stock!
Rkatek321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 12:04 AM   #33
erickonphoenix

My Ride: 2004 325i Touring
I have the AFE CAI plus throttle body spacer and it didn't improve my 0-60 time at all but 60-80 got a quarter second boost, 60-90 just a tad under .5 second improvement. Top end is the same but I added 245F and 255 rears so there's extra rubber on the road. However, I lowered it 2" on 18" VMRs so my COD should have improved enough to make up for the wider rubber. Throttle response seems better over 60 mph, but nothing new is happening under 60 except more racket under the hood.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:26 PM   #34
Epidemike

My Ride: 2004 330i
What about the Dinan intake? its $199 I think and very much like the stock one with some twists like the air snorkel connects down by the brake inlet.
Epidemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #35
Davconelectric

My Ride: Mainly cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epidemike View Post
What about the Dinan intake? its $199 I think and very much like the stock one with some twists like the air snorkel connects down by the brake inlet.

You'd be better off cutting a hole in your standard air box and ducting some cold air into it

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Davconelectric is offline   Reply With Quote