E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 01:19 PM   #41
tprgreen

My Ride: E46
J03SK1
go to home screen
press android icon
press disk icon.
tprgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:02 PM   #42
J03SK1

My Ride: E46 M3
Sorry I didn't explain my problem properly. Every time I try load up a vid I get a message saying "it's not safe to drive whist watching videos blah blah"
J03SK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 08:25 PM   #43
SKR7

My Ride: E46 MY04.5 SMG M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03SK1 View Post
Sorry I didn't explain my problem properly. Every time I try load up a vid I get a message saying "it's not safe to drive whist watching videos blah blah"
the message would be right then.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #44
J03SK1

My Ride: E46 M3
Thanks for your pointless comment. I want to know how to play a video whilst driving so the other people in the car can watch

Last edited by J03SK1; 07-29-2014 at 04:32 PM.
J03SK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:12 PM   #45
raichean

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3 cabrio
Quote:
Thanks for your pointless comment. I want to know how to play a video whilst driving so the other people in the car can watch
There is a check box in the settings that will suppress that.. cant remember it off the top of my head atm where, but its there.
raichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #46
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by tprgreen View Post
i am having issues loading "scout navigation" the option sais its not compatible with this device? update needed?
I get that from some apps.. make sure you have updated the deck to the latest public build, and check again. If not, definitely give that feedback to Tommy about the app.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #47
deaM3

My Ride: 2006 M3
I recently installed the avin-2 and having this issue where the next day my car wont start and it seems that the battery is drained. I need to jump it to get it started. Now when I revert back to stock radio(business cd), i never have this issue. I already went to autozone and my battery checks out at 12.7v so I am wondering if there are any differences with the harnesses on the 06 M3 thats causing this drain. I reached out to Tommy and he said this was the first time he is hearing this issue. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
deaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:47 PM   #48
tprgreen

My Ride: E46
even if your battery test good without load it can still have issues. i do know that the operating power of the avin is more because it has bigger amp inside. many batteries can have issues under load and loose capacity very quickly. how old is your car battery? if it is over 2 years i would try replacing it with new one after it has been fully charged to 100%soc. i am an electrical engineer specialty is power delivery so i have much exp in this area. hope this helps
tprgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:33 AM   #49
d12

My Ride: 325 Ci
Quote:
http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pag...allation-setup

"Dynavin Android Setup" describes how to get to the toggle for this.
d12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #50
Richy759

My Ride: E39 350i sport touri
Quote:
Originally Posted by alirz View Post
Please urgent help needed.

I just received my avant 2 unit for my 2003 m3 coupe. I've plugged everything in but I have no sound from any source at all...I'm replacing my stock business non navigation radio.

Just to confirm I've plugged the bracket and the Ibus connector to the back for the avant. I also have another bracket(the one with ILL wire) that came with the avant 2 but I guess thats for radios with a different pin layout(I'm not using that one)?

I'm also not using the plug that has various audio in/out RCA plugs. I assume that for after market amps and stuff?

The bracket that is currently hooked in the back of the unit has a wire for REVERSE, PARKING, AMP...and maybe one other wire...those are currently not used...

The unit turns on. I have a media car in the slot and I can see my music.

If it seems everything has been installed good then how come I have zero sound from any inputs, radio, media SD, Bluetooth etc... Please help....

Thanks

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I appear to have a similar problem. Can I ask what the solution was?
Thanks
Richard
Richy759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 03:44 AM   #51
julle

My Ride: BMW 330Ci, 2003
Hi All.

I have a BMW 330Ci from 2003 (facelift) and just bought the Avin Avant 2 unit. Looking really forward to mount it, and I really appreciate these tutorials! One question though; Do I really need to remove the rear badge in order to install a rear camera? The camera I have is to be mounted in the license plate holder, and still use the same original bulb. If so, I'm not really sure how to remove the badge...
Is it glued on?
If so, then how do I mount it properly again??

Thanks!

Alex.

Last edited by julle; 09-19-2014 at 03:45 AM.
julle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #52
raichean

Hey Alex.. I have the guide posted up for the camera install. Assuming your trunk and camera model is the same, then yes the rear badge has to come off to get to a mounting screw. There is a ring of sticky adhesive that secures it and in my case, was still tacky when I stuck it back on.

Check the camera DIY and don't hesitate to shout if you need help.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:14 PM   #53
julle

Hi raichean.

First off, thanks for your guides, and then thanks for your answer above.
Quick question: Under the badge, you'll find a torx screw. What exactly does this screw hold together?
Is it really necessary to unmount the entire socket (the one with the handle and the two number plate lights)?

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #54
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by julle View Post
Hi raichean.

First off, thanks for your guides, and then thanks for your answer above.
Quick question: Under the badge, you'll find a torx screw. What exactly does this screw hold together?
Is it really necessary to unmount the entire socket (the one with the handle and the two number plate lights)?

Thanks.
Howdy!

So that torx is one of the series that holds that trim piece on, so if taking the whole thing off, it will need to come off. That said, I think in theory it might be possible to install the camera, route the wires back through the trunk and do the install without taking the trim off. For make take, it wasn't possible for me, and pulling those torx and pulling the whole trim off made it 1,000x easier. I would take it to my workbench and do the work there, including shaping the socket and camera housing to fit much more easily.

Pulling the trim is quite easy.
Old 09-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #55
julle

Thanks again for your quick response!

So I basically just use some kind of trim remover tool (plastic), and gently stick it under the the badge and pull?

Sorry for keep asking
Old 09-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #56
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by julle View Post
Thanks again for your quick response!

So I basically just use some kind of trim remover tool (plastic), and gently stick it under the the badge and pull?

Sorry for keep asking
Yes... I actually had some heavy fishing line so ran that between the badge and trim to help pull through that seal first, but yes. Gently pry up with a plastic trim tool is best.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #57
ELCID86

My Ride: 2004 330i (ZHP) x2
Dental floss can help too.

iPhone and BimmerApp

- Shawn's 2004 IR/Alc. w/ 6MT ZHP (1/351 built)- http://bit.ly/1nhx4gk

- Colin's 2004 OB/Sand w/ 6MT ZHP (1/25 built)- http://bit.ly/1qT1tT1
- Shawn's 2004 OB/NB w/ AT (sold)
ELCID86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #58
julle

Ahh, great tip with the fishing line to remove the badge.

Okay, last couple of questions, and then I think I have pluck up courage to actually begin installing :-)

For the reverse camera wiring, I believe I know how to do, but can you verify my pictures: Basically, all I need to get confirmed is that the "extra" wire needs to be connected to the "reverse wire" of the Avant 2 unit?

I also looked though all the wires that comes with the Avant 2 unit, and that led to more questions:
What are AMP CON and PARKING used for?
- I have HK audio, so I guess I have a wire that simple should go to the AMP CON?
- Parking?? No clue. Do I need to shortcut it or something in order to watch videos while having the car in Drive mode?
- And finally: Does it matter which of the two USB inputs I hook up the USB modem to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_234929.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	574263   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_234938.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	574264   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140919_235110.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	574265  

Last edited by julle; 09-19-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #59
julle

Hi All.

With some great support from Tommy (from Avin) I have now figured out the wires:

Reverse = connects to the reverse light 12v power wire. When car is put in reverse the unit will detect it by this wire and put the unit into backup camera mode (just like my picture above).

Parking = connects to parking wire of the car. Allows you to watch video in motion. This is optional because there is also a option to enable video in motion in the settings menu. Parking wire is not really necessary.

Amp com = trigger to power on external amplifier.
I have the original Harman Kardon speaker system, including a sub, and asked Tommy if I should use this wire then. He believes that I do not have an extra amp for this system, hence I should not use it.

USB Modem: You can plug the usb modem into either of the usb ports it will work the same.