E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #1
kubomon17

My Ride: 2001 BMW 323i
Question Radio head unit brightness

Yesterday I upgraded to a newer head unit so that I can run an aux port. I noticed today that the display brightness is dimmer than my old head unit and dimmer than the climate control display. I'm wondering if this is a setting that I can adjust or if it's just and old tired display. I did some searching and couldn't really find an answer.
kubomon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Perhaps the wiring is different on the car harness or radio side. The brightness may be a different wire
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
NumbaOneNewb

Actually if you don't turn your headlights on they should be at max brightness
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
Old 08-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
kubomon17

Headlights on or off make no impact, the new unit is just always dimmer, about half as bright as the old one. Can't figure it out but I guess the display brightness is a sacrifice I can deal with in order to have my iPod hooked up. Still annoying tho!
Old 08-20-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
rsyed07

My Ride: 330i M Package
Check your radio's connections. The lighting is supposed to be on par with the climate control and there is a light sensor by the LCM (your headlight switch) that determines the interior lighting brightness.
rsyed07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #6
kubomon17

Will do, not too excited about having to pull the trim panels off again since my clips are beyond tired but it's possible something got messed up when I was putting everything in...
Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Is the new (to the car) head unit from a BMW?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:33 PM   #8
kubomon17

Yes from an 04 e46. Mine as an 01.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
rsyed07

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubomon17 View Post
Yes from an 04 e46. Mine as an 01.
I hate to burst your bubble, but all you had to do was purchase a Quidzel unit for $40 to get an auxillary input. Its an easy 30-45 minute install and I've done the upgrade myself.

Check out this thread I created when I bought the unit. It has pics on how to do it if you decide to return the new head unit and go back to the old one.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1043683

http://quidzel.com

Last edited by rsyed07; 08-20-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #10
kubomon17

Well god dammit I really wish unwound have known about this like 2 weeks ago.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
kubomon17

Gonna go ahead and put the old one back in and use this option. The brightness is bothering me, as is the crappy radio reception (even though I hardly ever use the radio)
Old 08-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #12
rsyed07

Quote:
Well god dammit I really wish unwound have known about this like 2 weeks ago.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:09 PM   #13
kubomon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsyed07 View Post
Oh believe me I did search, but this never came up anywhere. Ugh!
Old 08-21-2014, 04:28 AM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

Maybe I might be wrong but didn't the HU 01 and older possess round pins as the method of connecting HU to car harness? While the newer ones used the flat blade type? Or maybe I got it wrong.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #15
NumbaOneNewb

so after some research, i did some digging on bmw planet through the car's wiring diagram. I believe this is what's going on, and if you need proof, I can cite my sources. up until 03/2001, I don't think bmw offered the HU that was compatible with the ON Bordmonitor system, which I believe indicates the OE navigation HU. After 03/2001, that was when BMW wired it up to have the option of having a Navi installed. Well, what do you know, they changed up the pins, as well as the pinouts on the wiring. 2 that stood out to me was the dimming and brightness of the HU. On the older units, it was on wire 13. on the newer ones, well, there isn't one. Perhaps it was controlled by the Kbus or something, but there is no single designated wire specifically for brightness and dimming.

Another difference is that the older HU had 2 wires for the antenna (static radio), where one was for the frequency, the other was to send a signal to switch on the antenna amplifier. Of course, with the new one, it was built all into 1. What will seal the deal on this post is that wire number 13, which used to be the dimming and brightness wire for the old HU, well, that happens to be the wire the newer HU uses as the antenna amplifier switching signal wire. No wonder local radio sounded like crap. Your antenna amplifier was not receiving the 12 volt power it needed to power on. that's why you got horrible reception.

Case solved.

Last edited by NumbaOneNewb; 08-21-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:03 AM   #16
NumbaOneNewb

I apologize, corrections, the on board monitor option was offered after 03/2001, however, the changing of the pinouts and wiring, specifically wire number 13 did not occur until 09/2001
Old 08-21-2014, 06:08 AM   #17
NumbaOneNewb

so in theory, the only compatible radio for 2001 and older models are HU made prior to September of 2001 for direct plug and play. Otherwise, you lose brightness control as well as local radio reception.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 AM   #18
kubomon17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
so after some research, i did some digging on bmw planet through the car's wiring diagram. I believe this is what's going on, and if you need proof, I can cite my sources. up until 03/2001, I don't think bmw offered the HU that was compatible with the ON Bordmonitor system, which I believe indicates the OE navigation HU. After 03/2001, that was when BMW wired it up to have the option of having a Navi installed. Well, what do you know, they changed up the pins, as well as the pinouts on the wiring. 2 that stood out to me was the dimming and brightness of the HU. On the older units, it was on wire 13. on the newer ones, well, there isn't one. Perhaps it was controlled by the Kbus or something, but there is no single designated wire specifically for brightness and dimming.

Another difference is that the older HU had 2 wires for the antenna (static radio), where one was for the frequency, the other was to send a signal to switch on the antenna amplifier. Of course, with the new one, it was built all into 1. What will seal the deal on this post is that wire number 13, which used to be the dimming and brightness wire for the old HU, well, that happens to be the wire the newer HU uses as the antenna amplifier switching signal wire. No wonder local radio sounded like crap. Your antenna amplifier was not receiving the 12 volt power it needed to power on. that's why you got horrible reception.

Case solved.
Great info man! I was aware of the radio issues before doing the swap, didn't really care but had no idea the brightness would be an issue. It's odd too cause my car doesn't dim the interior brightness, ever (maybe my light sensor is bad?) but you can definitely adjust it with the little wheel next to the light switch as you would expect. It adjusts the brightness for the radio along with everything else just fine, it's just that the radio display (not the backlighting for the radio buttons) never gets as bright as the old one or as the climate control LCD. Like I said before it's not a huge deal but it is noticeable in the day and, well, little things like that just tick me off!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #19
rsyed07

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumbaOneNewb View Post
so in theory, the only compatible radio for 2001 and older models are HU made prior to September of 2001 for direct plug and play. Otherwise, you lose brightness control as well as local radio reception.
Good find!

Quote:
Great info man! I was aware of the radio issues before doing the swap, didn't really care but had no idea the brightness would be an issue. It's odd too cause my car doesn't dim the interior brightness, ever (maybe my light sensor is bad?) but you can definitely adjust it with the little wheel next to the light switch as you would expect. It adjusts the brightness for the radio along with everything else just fine, it's just that the radio display (not the backlighting for the radio buttons) never gets as bright as the old one or as the climate control LCD. Like I said before it's not a huge deal but it is noticeable in the day and, well, little things like that just tick me off!
What did you end up doing? Are you going to keep in the new HU or replace it with the old one and buy the Quidzel mod?
Old 08-21-2014, 10:43 AM   #20
kubomon17

Placed an order for the quidzel mod and gonna put the old one back in. Gonna be a bitch cause I have to resplice my antenna cables (spliced them in order to avoid getting an adapter) but at least I'll have my brightness back and good reception as well (not that I care). Only benefit to the new unit for me that I can see is the speed dependent volume, which I don't think even works in my car and is kind of annoying anyways.