E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #1
fungunns

My Ride: 05 330I
Overheating 05 330i

The car has a 3month old water pump. I have never changed the expansion tank.

The car had the yellow coolant light on. I added distilled water to it and it would go off. I did this for a month or so. Just yesterday I parked the car at my job and when I got out I noticed ti just started oozing coolant underneath... Would the expansion tank give these symptoms? I filled it again with water and had to get it home. It would go a mile and then climb in temp. I'd pull over and let it sit and fill it up again. Any ideas?
fungunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
search the leak?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140710_205619.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	565506  

daniel_f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
fungunns

I am not sure how that answers my question? I know they are prone to problems but can the expansion tank be my culprit
Old 07-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #4
daniel_f.

Well, it can crack as you may see in the photo i had attached and cracked tanks tend to leak...

Why donīt you just take a look?

Old 07-15-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fungunns View Post
I am not sure how that answers my question? I know they are prone to problems but can the expansion tank be my culprit
The culprit could be absolutely any part that coolant flows through. So yes, it could be the expansion tank, but it could also be the radiator inlet hose, the radiator, the radiator outlet hose, a heater hose, the coolant pipe on the block, the thermostat, the o-ring around the coolant temperature sensor, the water pump, etc, etc... You need to actually search for where the leak is like daniel_f suggested.

Last edited by Tangent_; 07-15-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Tangent_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:20 PM   #6
fungunns

when you had to change yours did your car attempt to overheat?
Old 07-15-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
daniel_f.

I was in a parking lot, the engine idled and i was opening the top when i heard a quiet "blop". thats when the tank cracked. i noticed to late that the coolant temp was ~130°C. i stopped the engine immediately, but it was to late and the engine lost all its coolant. after being towed back home i ripped the cooling circuit off to search the leak and i was lucky i found it directly.

i changed the tank, the sensor and the 2bar regulator to 1,4bar unit and payed 68€

Last edited by daniel_f.; 07-15-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
fungunns

Ok, I have searched the leak. I did find an issue with the expansion tank. I replaced the tank... Bled the system as a search result had stated. The car still wanted to get hot... Next I thought... it had to be a water pump issue... Thats the last thing that was a culprit. I bought and replaced it as well... Same result.. it overheated again... I bled and bled the system... Next I replaced the thermostat... I just did that and bled the system... same thing... overheating. Maybe I am missing something here... WTF.

I realize this is a dead horse here on the forum but it is alive and well in my household... If anyone has anything to add please do. I have used the "search" multiple times... Again, maybe there is something I am overlooking... Also, the electric fan is running great.. It is an automatic
Old 07-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i
How are you bleeding the system? I've found that it's damn near impossible to bleed properly without elevating the front of the car at least a little bit. I use ramps for this. Don't forget to turn your climate control to full hot and the temp wheel between the vents to full hot as well.

If it really is bled correctly, and you find no leaks, check what kind of flow you're getting through the radiator, it's possible it's clogged with scale and gunk build-up.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 PM   #10
mapster37

My Ride: 04 zhp sedan
Make sure u are bleeding it with the cap off. keep rpm's around 2500. Loosen the bleeder screw until only coolant emerges. Then tighten down....do not over tighten it's only plastic! adjust coolant level as necessary. If u see a guiser u know the head gasket is blown..

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
mapster37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #11
glhx

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330ci
I did one the other day.
I did a full flush.....radiator and the bottom side of the engine.

I also replaced the
Water pump.....beyond shot....he was lucky
Thermostat
Fan clutch......omg.....wanna talk about shot
Upper and lower hose.
All idler pulleys
But....not the radiator.....and he's at 170k on original stuff.

Anyway...

Bleeding it.
I opened the bleeder. When you do this the coolant you pour in, pushes air out of the bleeder
I poured coolant in the expansion tank
Turned car on and let it warm up......watching temp with inpa software.
Thermostat opened
Poured more coolant
Let car idle till it hit 96c

When temp shot beyond that I opened bleeder and released air.
When air came out I filled it back up with coolant.

Drove the car 10 miles.....coolant light came on.....went out and bled air out and filled it all the way back up.

Over filled the tank,,,,,used bleeder to get extra fluid out of the tank

Had heater on full to90° and fan on so the heater doors were open the whole time.

Used a motive pressure bleeder with coolant pressure checker adapter to check for leaks......no leaks
glhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:01 AM   #12
MrDrCr

My Ride: 325i
I had the same issue. Fan clutch went out and warped block and head. Time for a new engine.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MrDrCr is offline   Reply With Quote