E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
eraservsv

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Need help with mid-range speaker intsallation

Hi,

never installed speakers or other sound components to the car.
I removed old mid-range + tweeter HK from bmw 330ci 2004 passenger door
Need help.
I have:
1. Mid-range plastic housing
2. Screws which were used for original HK speaker
3. Vifa NE65 speaker
4. Silicone sealant
5. 1 sheet of dynamat

How to put all those together, so it will sound right. I'm especially interested in how to glue/attach Vifa speaker to plastic housing

Thanks
eraservsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
The Vifa speaker "should" fit where the OEM mid speaker was installed. You may need to wrap the circumference with a later if electrical fit as it's a tad small.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:07 PM   #3
markusmarkus

Btw, Vifa speakers are wired backwards. So, connect the car's + wire to the speaker's - lead.

Old 08-20-2014, 12:17 PM   #4
eraservsv

Thanks for response.
Yes it fits, however there is a 1-2 mm gap inside between the speaker and plastic housing. There is no way to attach it with screws. Will putting it on silicon seal be enough?
I'm aware of backward wiring (someone posted very useful video about that to youtube, thank you, whoever you are).
Already noticed that HK wire is wider than speaker's lead, so either will tighten that wire head or will wrap lead with something. Not sure what works better
Old 08-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
markusmarkus

I used plastic electrical tape to hold the Vifas in place. I wrapped the tape around the circumference and then used an exacto knife to cut off the tape that wasn't on the circumference. Worx fine!

Old 08-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
eraservsv

Electric tape! Interesting
I'm going to try to pry off old HK speaker from its plastic cover, which is used to secure it to housing with screws. And will try some #4 1/2" screws to secure Vifa to that cover. Will see if that works. If not, will try electric tape. Thanks for advice!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:56 PM   #7
eraservsv

Used 3 #4 1/2 screws. Looks good so far. Tomorrow will install into its place on the door card

Old 08-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #8
markusmarkus

Looking good!

Old 08-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #9
markusmarkus

Recommend you replace the tweets with tweets from SEAS. The sound is much clearer than with the Nokia tweets. I bought mine from Madison Sound (www.madisound.com).

Old 08-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #10
eraservsv

Thanks for advise, will give a try to tweets a little bit later. For now sound is great in a car!
Replaced HK mid-range with Vifa speakers. Added some dynamat pieces to some parts of the door and card, which i though were having rattles and WOW! That sounds great! Dynamat is a __must be__ part of door sound. I used what i believe is 'minimal' dynamat package - 2 sheets of 10"x10". 1 sheet cut into small pieces and distributed all over door card, another - over the door (especially at places behind speakers). Visually it looks like less than recommended by dynamat minimum of 30%. But sounds way better than before!
Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 AM   #11
markusmarkus

The Vifas are pretty amazing speakers!