E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-21-2004, 03:46 PM   #21
wolf328ci

Location: in my garage welding your rear subframe mounts back together
My Ride: magic carpet
something you could do, however uncomfortable,

Is something my buddy did on his audi, and that is put your schroth harnesses in and retain the stock seat belts. that way, when you want passengers, unclip the rear strap on the schroth belts and use your stock seatbelts. then re-clip the rear strap and you're ready to track. Only problem is that when you are using stock belts with schroth unclipped @ the rear, you are sitting on the harnesses, which is uncomfortable for long trips.

"Boys, tonight the beer is gonna flow like wine"
wolf328ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 05:00 PM   #22
Smoothpnoy

My Ride: Jet Blk. '03 330Xi
when i was looking at STi's they have this bar that bolts right behind the two front seats. i think it's called a B-pillar bar. u can maybe custom make one and run the harness over it so i wont compress your seats only the bar. which i doubt will break. also u can position it which ever u want. look for WRX STi aftermarket parts online and u might be able to find what i'm talking about... i'll find the site an post it when i can.

edit: I FOUND THE SITE!!!! HOPE THIS HELPS
http://www.t-wrx.net/wrx/carimages/h...arnessbar.HTML
but yea... this would be a GREAT addition.

Last edited by Smoothpnoy; 05-21-2004 at 05:14 PM.
Smoothpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 05:54 PM   #23
stealthy

My Ride: ///M3
I have Sparco Pro 2000 seats in my M3. I just use the sparco base mount with sparco slider for the E46. The installation is easy and no parts to modify. I ordered my M3 with almost no option, it is pretty much for the track duties. So, I have no power seats. Now, if you take out passenger seat, it will trigger an Airbag light. All that is that now the Passenger side airbag will deploy all the time.

Sparco seat base come with two cross bars on it. So, I mount the sixth point on to it right under the seat. and, there is no way you are going to get to the back seat. So, I took the back seats out as well. Total weight saving is about 100 pounds. Not much. Casue the seat base is quite heavy.

Here are the pics:
Old 05-25-2004, 06:32 PM   #24
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl
The risk of a rollover in Solo II is almost nonexistant so the harness w/ or without a roll bar question never comes up.

Ed
thats definetly not true.. i've seen a few rollovers in solo II... mainly in FWD cars but the risk definetly is there..
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:39 PM   #25
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral Prophet
thats definetly not true.. i've seen a few rollovers in solo II... mainly in FWD cars but the risk definetly is there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl
the risk of a rollover in Solo II is almost nonexistant
That is why I called the risk almost nonexistant. A couple rollovers occur every year in SOLO II type events. Dozens of rollovers happen every year at driving schools. A rollover at a track is a hell of a lot more dangerous because of higher speeds and the risk of contact with solid objects. You run the risk of the landing on the roof after being several feet in the air. You may also hit stationary objects roof first at high speed. Either of those scenarios are much more likely to collapse roof pillars. I am accutely aware of the dangers of rolling over because I have been behind two rollovers at the track. Pardon the picture quality. I scanned this long ago in the dismal days of dial up...

This E30 barrel rolled into a tire wall two cars in front of me at Lime Rock Park. Note that the front passenger headrest is sticking out the rear passenger window.

An autocross rollover is going to happen at less than 60mph and is usually the result of funky elevation change, suspension dynamics, and R compound tires rather than a "garage sale" shedding of parts while barrel rolling 3 times into a tire wall.

Ed

Last edited by teamdfl; 05-25-2004 at 07:44 PM.
teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 06:30 PM   #26
Smoothpnoy

My Ride: Jet Blk. '03 330Xi
would that harness bar i posted work? or is the angle of the belts different. that way u can put the harness behind the front seats and wrap them over so u can still use the rear seats... and also are the harnesses DOT approved for street driving?
Smoothpnoy is offline   Reply With Quote