GM5 Problem or Something Else? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2016, 10:41 AM   #1
330XiNamedBif

My Ride: 2005 330Xi 6-speed
GM5 Problem or Something Else?

About a month ago I started to see an intermittent issue with my car. When I lock or unlock the car by remote the lights rarely flash. I would say the lights would flash only 1 out of every 3 times I used the remote. Lock operation remained normal.

Just over the weekend I realized that my drivers door power lock functionality has been completely lost. It does not respond to the remote or the center console lock/ unlock button. I am only able to operate the drivers door lock with either the door mounted button or the key.

Does this sound like a GM5 problem or something else?
Old 05-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
GM5 without a doubt.

https://www.bmwgm5.com/

This guy can replace it.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #3
330XiNamedBif

thanks zander.
I did some reading on the site www.bmwgm5.com and am leaning towards a bad lock actuator, but I am still unsure. I am hoping to get feedback from others on this site.

Ok, that's great, but, what's the deal with my door locks?
Most problems are either the door lock actuator assembly or the GM5 module. Sometimes the problem is hard to determine. For some reason, GM5 problems occur with unlocking much, much, more often than locking. Here are a few tell tale signs for determining which is the faulty part.
4-door - all 4 doors fail to unlock -> GM5
4-door - all 3 passenger doors fail to unlock -> GM5
4-door - only 1 of the passenger doors fails -> Actuator
2-door - both doors fail to work -> GM5
2-door - only the driver's door fails -> indeterminate
2-door - only passenger door fails -> indeterminate
Problem seems to be worse in hot or cold weather -> GM5
Fuel filler door doesn't unlock either -> GM5

In my case only the drivers door does not respond to the remote or central locking button. I am also thinking the signal lights have not been flashing as the door may not have been locking this entire month. Scary as I live in Manhattan and park on the street when the car is not garaged.
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2016, 07:32 PM   #4
330XiNamedBif

What are the chances that this is all due to a low battery condition? As I was dropping my car off earlier today I noticed my RPMs dip and bounce twice as I pulled up to a stop light. I was once told by an old coworker that he saw a variety of electrical faults as his battery reached the end of its life. I am going to start there as I don't know age of battery.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #5
c28vette

My Ride: 2004 325i M56
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XiNamedBif View Post
What are the chances that this is all due to a low battery condition? As I was dropping my car off earlier today I noticed my RPMs dip and bounce twice as I pulled up to a stop light. I was once told by an old coworker that he saw a variety of electrical faults as his battery reached the end of its life. I am going to start there as I don't know age of battery.
Yes, I'll second that a battery on its way out can do very odd things with these cars (also post 1998 Jags as well as many others I am sure). When our battery was dying the car would randomly roll windows down while it was parked overnight among other gremlins, yet it would start and run fine and lights were bright even with engine off. Electronics evidently sensitive to just a couple of 1/10th's drop in resting voltage.
c28vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #6
330XiNamedBif

Thanks c28. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by 330XiNamedBif; 05-02-2016 at 10:46 PM.
330XiNamedBif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:01 PM   #7
zander271

GM5 Problem or Something Else?

Could be the battery, when the battery was on its way out I had some of the same symptoms, the battery just exaggerating the issues of the GM5 unit good luck.

The fact the unlock button inside the car didn't work is why it's the GM5 unit.

Last edited by zander271; 05-02-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #8
330XiNamedBif

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
Could be the battery, when the battery was on its way out I had some of the same symptoms, the battery just exaggerating the issues of the GM5 unit good luck.

The fact the unlock button inside the car didn't work is why it's the GM5 unit.
Did you have to replace your GM5 unit immediately or did the battery replacement restore some functionality?
330XiNamedBif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 PM   #9
c28vette

My Ride: 2004 325i M56
Quote:
Thanks c28. Fingers crossed.
Even if it is the GM5 module, it is not that expensive to have it redone better than new by Scott and he has very detailed and easy instructions for replacing it. Super quick turnaround too.
c28vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:56 PM   #10
330XiNamedBif

I know. I've read great things, but I'm still dreading that. My parking options are either the street overnight or a valet parking garage. Not the safest places.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:24 AM   #11
mikeetastic

My Ride: lots of 3
Quote:
thanks zander.
I did some reading on the site www.bmwgm5.com and am leaning towards a bad lock actuator, but I am still unsure. I am hoping to get feedback from others on this site.

Ok, that's great, but, what's the deal with my door locks?
Most problems are either the door lock actuator assembly or the GM5 module. Sometimes the problem is hard to determine. For some reason, GM5 problems occur with unlocking much, much, more often than locking. Here are a few tell tale signs for determining which is the faulty part.
4-door - all 4 doors fail to unlock -> GM5
4-door - all 3 passenger doors fail to unlock -> GM5
4-door - only 1 of the passenger doors fails -> Actuator
2-door - both doors fail to work -> GM5
2-door - only the driver's door fails -> indeterminate
2-door - only passenger door fails -> indeterminate
Problem seems to be worse in hot or cold weather -> GM5
Fuel filler door doesn't unlock either -> GM5

In my case only the drivers door does not respond to the remote or central locking button. I am also thinking the signal lights have not been flashing as the door may not have been locking this entire month. Scary as I live in Manhattan and park on the street when the car is not garaged.
this is easy to rule out. just remove the door card and disconnect the driver side actuator.. once disconnected lock and unlock the car, if everything is working perfect then its your door actuator not GM5. do a ziptie mod too while youre in there if windows regulator are orig lol.
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 02:41 AM   #12
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: '03 325Ci + '05 ZHP
Quote:
Just over the weekend I realized that my drivers door power lock functionality has been completely lost. It does not respond to the remote or the center console lock/ unlock button. I am only able to operate the drivers door lock with either the door mounted button or the key.

Does this sound like a GM5 problem or something else?
It's your door actuator (51227011245) (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=41_1355). My 325 did the same thing (trunk, pass side door, and fuel door all kept on working).
Old 05-03-2016, 02:44 AM   #13
zander271

Quote:
Did you have to replace your GM5 unit immediately or did the battery replacement restore some functionality?

I replaced it afterwards, it didn't restore the functions. The issue just popped up less often.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:23 PM   #14
330XiNamedBif

Update: I replaced the battery today and there was no improvement. The driver's power lock has not functioned at all since it began acting up last weekend. All other power locks are operating normally including the fuel door. I have decided that the door lock actuator is the most likely cause of my problem and ordered one from ECSTuning. I will let you know if this is in fact the fix.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #15
mikeetastic

My Ride: lots of 3
see post #11, why dont you test first? my 328ci has this same issue before. 20% of the time door actuator will not move and all doors wont open.
mikeetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:45 PM   #16
330XiNamedBif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeetastic View Post
see post #11, why dont you test first? my 328ci has this same issue before. 20% of the time door actuator will not move and all doors wont open.
Well, I live in downtown manhattan and my garage is valet. I can't work on it there. My narrow 1-way street isn't the ideal place for me to be working with the door open. I also discovered that the bodyshop who repaired my car in December used a variety of screws to secure the panel and I think one screw is close to stripped. I decided not to make the problem worse until I have to, and I may just end up bringing it to the shop and insist they remove the panel for me.

I'm also not sure what I would be testing for by removing the actuator. The only symptoms I have is that the drivers power lock is not functioning and because of that the lights do not flash when I lock or unlock the car by remote. I'm doubtful that would even return to normal with no actuator installed. I could be wrong.
Old 05-11-2016, 10:04 PM   #17
330XiNamedBif

RESULT: It was "something else." I finally tore the door apart today to replace the actuator and as soon as I began to handle the electrical connector the interior lights came on. I tried the locks and they all worked. I had an unexpected side airbag deployment in December and apparently the bodyshop didn't fully secure the connector so it walked itself back over 3 months and lost connection. Hopefully ECStuning will let me return the replacement actuator I just received.

Tags
gm-5, gm5, lock