E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #161
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
^^as I'm sure you know, PSS would've cost him the cost of his tires and rims combined had he gone that route. Looking at an almost $1100 wheel and tire job is a good bit more than $800.

To be honest, I don't even think our cars benefit that much from those tires. I have a brand new set of staggered PSS and I can't break traction unless I apply WOT in a really tight corner. That's after two really hard drives up Mt. Lemmon in Tucson. I know they're not track tires, but that's the only place I can see them ever being used to their full potential. Just my $.02

Those brand new tires he has will feel just fine on the 328.
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #162
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflara20 View Post
You should of gotte Michelin Pilot Super Sports, I love them!
Glad you keeping her of to maintenance, you don't want a pretty car if it can't perform.
Thank you! I considered the Michelin PSS, but I couldn't justify the cost given the added performance. I was actually choosing between those and the BF's. A set of PSS A/S 3 was $520 (after rebate) and G-Force Comp 2 A/S were $440 (after rebate). Side to side, the PSS was only marginally better. Then I compared the BF's to my current set, and again only a marginal increase. With my wheels, I didn't have to pay tax, I'm going to get an $80 rebate too (forgot to call them), and it cost me $30 less than my next option. This difference would have been greater if I didn't have to return and ship new tires. I didn't have to pay 9% sales tax on my current setup too.

As hodgkinsc330ci, my current setup is fine and I don't feel I'm missing out on much. I do want to point out I'm only 25ft/lb short of the 330, so don't go around thinking that you got this ship load more power /jokes

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 10-05-2016 at 10:06 PM.
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:40 PM   #163
blarf

My Ride: 323i, 325iT, 540iT
Yeah, Pilot A/S3s are more than sticky enough for your car. I love them on my E46s and on my 540. PSSs are overkill unless you're making way more power IMO. Pretty much the only downside I've heard is that newer Michelin tires are more prone to dry rotting than other brands.

Anyways, make friends with a local tire shop and they'll almost certainly either price match or come close to what you can get from Tire Rack... plus no worrying about return shipping. Also... Style 68s?

Last edited by blarf; 10-05-2016 at 10:41 PM.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 11:12 PM   #164
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by blarf View Post
Yeah, Pilot A/S3s are more than sticky enough for your car. I love them on my E46s and on my 540. PSSs are overkill unless you're making way more power IMO. Pretty much the only downside I've heard is that newer Michelin tires are more prone to dry rotting than other brands.

Anyways, make friends with a local tire shop and they'll almost certainly either price match or come close to what you can get from Tire Rack... plus no worrying about return shipping. Also... Style 68s?
Yeah but even if they price matched, they couldn't save me on tax which is definitely in consideration given the Bay Area Tax rate (8.5-10%). Most places also won't price match Costco. If they were to match my OTD price I'm almost confident they'd loose money on what I purchased. Would have come out in a flush when returning and paying sales tax.

Yes, hate all you want, but I freaked up love the 68's. Light, good looking to me, excellent upgrade over 43's, and I like the sidewall size of 17's.

You're in the Bay Area, join the conversation here. We're trying to arrange a drive and lunch in the area

Edit: why don't you like 68's? Just too common?

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 10-05-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #165
YoitsTmac

Are people still interested in my ownership costs?
Old 10-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #166
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
I am . Maybe not so much ownership costs but an overall progress thread. I guess you can keep costs in here for other people to help guide you come to think of it

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #167
jaga

My Ride: 2002 325i
That is right. I learn from what you share.
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #168
YoitsTmac

I will do an update on everything I've done to the car and along with prices on a per project basis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2016, 02:04 AM   #169
YoitsTmac

Full Update!!

The original reason I made this thread was because I wanted to show how much it costs to own, and mildly to show what I've done. I don't have huge immediate plans for the time. I've done just about everything I want to for now. I will do suspension and a manual swap when I move, and an engine swap once I build a career. For those who are unaware, I'm 19 as of tomorrow. Lets get to it!

To review the maintenance briefly that I've already talk about, I'll just put totals on a project to to project basis (rounded down to the nearest dollar)

Alarm + PA activation: $118
R1 rotors+pads on all corners (DO NOT BUY THESE!): $270
Replaced signal light, gauge rings, and new kidney grilles: $168
CCV from the stealer: $242 (oh, not as bad as I thought!)
Camshaft position sensor (because the battery didn't fix it): $65
Euro tray: $52
Oil change at BMW: $86
$60 alignment
Horn got drowned from no inner fender linings: $35 used
$1,176 in California highest grade fuel for roughly $6,900 miles

Entering year two I started my business and was able to do more. I really do need to calm down....
Fixing my spongy brakes with PFZ pads: $126 just for the front
Automatic Trans gasket, filter, and fluid: $169
M3 wheel, paint for lower trim, multifunction, SRS for two stage airbag and wrap: $293
Last two diff bushings, paid friend for his time and lift access, subframe reinforcement kit, glue, bushing tool rented: $630. I paid my friend well because he truly did deserve it, but I don't want to disclose it at the moment.
DEPO LED tails + orange wrap + LED backup lights (regret): $175
Radio+tools and chords purchased in attempt of making bluetooth audio: $180
Registered and smogged: $176

Now as of lately, I've had some suspension issues. After talking to MANY people about it, I believe the lubricant I used to slide the bushings on have made my bad steering wobble. In the process, I have spent a decent penny trying to fix it, especially referring to new tires. The tires on my car were old, so this was a good idea anyway.
4x225/45/17 tires Hankook tires: $440
bought style 67 staggered set: $200
Returned two tires and bought 2x245's when I found out the tires were square but the rims were not: $80 issue (there goes my $80 rebate)
Alignment, mounted, balanced: $120
Nuts for CA's, Light leveler (because broke it putting bushings on), and bought my oil change stuff for free shipping: $101
Current tally on gas is $500 over roughly 2,800 miles. I have driven a hell of a lot less this year.

I want to walk you through why I've done the things I've done.
I painted all my front bumper trim silver because I thought that lower mouth was just a giant glob of black. I didn't like that. I don't want to replace the bumper because I actually really like it. I bought the orange wrap for my clear tail LED's because I like the amber look, especially against blue. I did things like replace the front grille because frankly, they were sticking out and it was an ugly mess. The steering wheel was the one thing I wanted out of this car, so that's why I did it. I think I did it quite well for the money as well, but I definitely got lucky. I like the OEM look, so don't expect anything crazier than these 68's or potentially CSL replica's down the road. For now, these 68's are a HUGE upgrade. Unfortunately due to my issues, I haven't been able to enjoy the new set, but I'll be doing a video on what I think of a staggered setup opposed to square once my issues were gone.

In the short term, I have NO PLANS. I love the way this car looks and drives. I like the blue color, I like the amber, and I like the OEM wheels. Sorry guys! I know many will disagree. The dents and such suck but I'd rather use the money that would fix it all towards something more purposeful like a manual swap. To have a 100% solid E46, all I have to do is install new FCAB's with a different lubricant, install the transmission bushings i've already bought, and I'm set! Looking forward to that day which should be in the near future. As it sits, here's Sophia. No sugarcoating! She's filthy and the rims need a refinish, but baby steps!

Old 10-19-2016, 02:27 AM   #170
KendrickC

My Ride: '03 325i
Your photography is getting a lot better. That very last picture is beautiful. What camera are you using? Editing program?

PM if you can... I'm looking for a camera to buy, and considering the output of yours, it would be in consideration.

'03 325 Estoril Blue with some love from:
Turner, ECS, Remus, BMW Performance, G.A.S.,
Beisan, Umnitza, TRS, Radium, and more!
KendrickC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:29 AM   #171
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendrickC View Post
Your photography is getting a lot better. That very last picture is beautiful. What camera are you using? Editing program?

PM if you can... I'm looking for a camera to buy, and considering the output of yours, it would be in consideration.
Thank you so much! I've been feeling uninspired lately. It took me 90 minutes to pick a location but I felt the NEED to shoot because it's been so long. Happy to hear I still got it. PM coming
Old 10-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #172
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
In the short term, I have NO PLANS. I love the way this car looks and drives. I like the blue color, I like the amber, and I like the OEM wheels.
Good job! You'll get no complaints here. BMW did a pretty bang-up job styling these cars from the factory and we have a plethora of beautiful OEM wheels to choose from. Drive and enjoy!

Current: '02 330i/5 '10 Mazda5 '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #173
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Great progress and nice pics. @ Kendrick, any camera will do nowadays. Your pics wont automatically look like his. that takes experience and know-how and subtly that most newbie photographers don't have (99% of them including myself when I was new)

Master what you have first. Even if its an entry level camera. You can buy a $10,000 rig but if you don't know LIGHT, basic photography and good editing practices, your pics will look like absolute CRAP. So practice first =)

Last edited by Mango; 10-19-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #174
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

@YoitsTmac: I see your exhaust flap is stuck shut like mine! I hosed it with some PB Blaster over the weekend; need to see if I can break it free at some point...

Past: '85 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Old 10-19-2016, 11:34 AM   #175
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
@YoitsTmac: I see your exhaust flap is stuck shut like mine! I hosed it with some PB Blaster over the weekend; need to see if I can break it free at some point...
Son of a b*tch are you serious??? How can you tell? Would be nice to get some free noise...
Old 10-19-2016, 12:04 PM   #176
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Due to age they're always stuck. Just hammer it out with a screwdriver (it will stay in the open position indefinitely) and pull and cap the vacuum line.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:26 PM   #177
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Son of a b*tch are you serious??? How can you tell? Would be nice to get some free noise...
Look into the right exhaust tip; the stuck flap should be easily visible blocking the exhaust. What Mango suggested is what I plan to do (hopefully this coming weekend): hammer it open and plug the vac line. Do a search for "golf tee mod."

Old 10-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #178
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Look into the right exhaust tip; the stuck flap should be easily visible blocking the exhaust. What Mango suggested is what I plan to do (hopefully this coming weekend): hammer it open and plug the vac line. Do a search for "golf tee mod."

Just did some work on my car. I installed a replacement headlight leveler, replaced the fluid in the steering reservoir Andy was going to close that flap, but there was nothing there! I'll upload that pic later...
Old 10-19-2016, 03:50 PM   #179
orb
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci
Only the 330s have the flap
Old 10-19-2016, 04:04 PM   #180
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orb View Post
Only the 330s have the flap
I stand corrected; thank you sir.

I was thrown off by the cleanliness of his right-side exhaust tip in the last photo.

Tags
328, cost of ownership, story, teenager