E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #221
Travis424

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Big update explaining what's been going on coming soon. A lot has happened, and a lot has been spent. I've nearly lost my ownership pride. I haven't driven my car for the joy of driving (something I used to do) ever since I got my wobble. I'm going to an whee shop in 10 hours to see if my front wheels were perfectly balanced and true after their repairs. Worst case scenario I have Archbids spare in my trunk lol
I think at one point we have all been there. Just hang tough. You will get it sorted out and can eventually get back to being proud again. I bought my car with 12000 miles on it in 2006. 2 years later weeks after the manufacturer warranty ran out I was replacing my power steering rack out of pocket to the tune of $4000 (stealership) The car had under 30k miles. The new extended warranty I had purchased ($4600 warranty another long story) hadn't kicked in yet. This was devastating for me as I was only 23 and basicly had to clean out my savings account. I literally had $18 left in my account afterwards. After that I almost traded the car in for an Audi. Cooler heads prevailed and I didn't trade the car in and I haven't turned back. I love my car and sometimes I hate it. When shes acting like shes supposed to its great. Sorry if this was long winded just wanted to let you know I've been there. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using E46Fanatics mobile app

Old 01-09-2017, 10:44 AM   #222
jaga

My Ride: 2002 325i
Why you mentioned you almost lost it!

Sent from my SM-A310M using E46Fanatics mobile app
jaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:12 AM   #223
Archbid

My Ride: 2003 330cic
Owning a 328Ci: Costs, maintenance, and build thread

Quote:
Big update explaining what's been going on coming soon. A lot has happened, and a lot has been spent. I've nearly lost my ownership pride. I haven't driven my car for the joy of driving (something I used to do) ever since I got my wobble. I'm going to an whee shop in 10 hours to see if my front wheels were perfectly balanced and true after their repairs. Worst case scenario I have Archbids spare in my trunk lol
You are in the valley of despair. Comes with every old car. This is a solvable problem, and you will be back.

After the alignment, feel free to swap front wheels with me to see if you have a defective tire. We could also get both cars in the air and compare the play in the rack.

I have a lot of debt to pay off on this site

Last edited by Archbid; 01-09-2017 at 01:33 PM.
Archbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:33 AM   #224
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
What if you just revert everything back to stock like someone mentioned earlier?
Because my only modification is strut assemblies, and you have my originals. That and I had the wobble was there prior to those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Not to make light of your situation, but Whee Shop sounds like something far more entertaining than anything car-related...

Sorry to hear about the struggles. I feel like I got lucky a week ago when a trip to the alignment shop cured all my car's handling ills. I hope the wheel shop visit is a similar type of silver bullet for your E46's issues.
Haha, nothing unusual for a post made at 3AM! XD I read your post about your alignment. I'm happy to here you got such extreme results. Unfortunately for me, my alignment shop has essentially seen me monthly. That being said, my stuff is quite in spec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis424 View Post
This was devastating for me as I was only 23 and basicly had to clean out my savings account.
My savings got milked to the tune of $2,800 at age 17. I had never held a job at that point. So trust me, I feel for you. That sh*t is tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
You are in the valley of despair. Comes with every old car. This is a solvable problem, and you will be back.

After the alignment, feel free to swap front wheels with me to see if you have a defective tire. We could also get both cars in the air and compare the play in the rack.

I have a lot of debt to pay off on this site
It is a solvable problem because the problem has been solved!! I'll get into the explanation and how things happened. So I owe you a spare wheel, a thin 16mm wrench, and an SRS clear! I have my regular client tomorrow. I'm about to send you a text, we could clear your light tomorrow before (or after?) my appointment.

If you wanna pay a little debt to me you can help with my FCAB's! Yes, I can rent a tool and the old one's off no problem, but I have a strength and "finesse" issue and can't get them on without the rubber absorbing all my hits 0.o

So yes my wobble is fixed. So I replaced/did these things in the following order: FCAB's, wheels and tires, tie rods, shocks and struts, rim repair, other driver rim (didn't really have a bend...grrr), camber plate, wheel spacers, end links, sanded all mating surfaces, wheel spacers moved to back wheels, removed sway bar (tons of fun, just try it. Boatloads of oversteer), wheels rebalanced (third time!!) and now all is peaceful up until 110mph. I think the wobble I have now is normal for solid rubber bushings (it's so small it's almost not worth bringing up)

Update coming soon! I swear. I know I just hinted at a few things, but I want to take some bomb a** photos. More parts came in today too
Old 01-10-2017, 01:41 AM   #225
Archbid

Quote:
Because my only modification is strut assemblies, and you have my originals. That and I had the wobble was there prior to those

Haha, nothing unusual for a post made at 3AM! XD I read your post about your alignment. I'm happy to here you got such extreme results. Unfortunately for me, my alignment shop has essentially seen me monthly. That being said, my stuff is quite in spec.

My savings got milked to the tune of $2,800 at age 17. I had never held a job at that point. So trust me, I feel for you. That sh*t is tough

It is a solvable problem because the problem has been solved!! I'll get into the explanation and how things happened. So I owe you a spare wheel, a thin 16mm wrench, and an SRS clear! I have my regular client tomorrow. I'm about to send you a text, we could clear your light tomorrow before (or after?) my appointment.

If you wanna pay a little debt to me you can help with my FCAB's! Yes, I can rent a tool and the old one's off no problem, but I have a strength and "finesse" issue and can't get them on without the rubber absorbing all my hits 0.o

So yes my wobble is fixed. So I replaced/did these things in the following order: FCAB's, wheels and tires, tie rods, shocks and struts, rim repair, other driver rim (didn't really have a bend...grrr), camber plate, wheel spacers, end links, sanded all mating surfaces, wheel spacers moved to back wheels, removed sway bar (tons of fun, just try it. Boatloads of oversteer), wheels rebalanced (third time!!) and now all is peaceful up until 110mph. I think the wobble I have now is normal for solid rubber bushings (it's so small it's almost not worth bringing up)

Update coming soon! I swear. I know I just hinted at a few things, but I want to take some bomb a** photos. More parts came in today too
Of course I will help. My superpower is forcing stuff
Old 01-10-2017, 07:09 AM   #226
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Glad you solved it. So what was the culprit?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #227
Archbid

Wheel was rebalanced a third time

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 01-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #228
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

Make sure to clean the brake dust in the wheel barrels otherwise you may still have vibrations

Old 01-15-2017, 02:32 AM   #229
YoitsTmac

Update time! Bet you guys missed me. Now I definitely need to do a proper photoshoot but I just can't get ahead of California whether, see below.

Now the biggest update I'd say is that I've installed Koni FSD's and Eibach springs. I bought them used from a member or else it couldn't have happened! The drop in the front is a wee bit much for me, but definitely worth it for the handling improvements and decreasing the front fender gap.

Unfortunately installation took place at roughly 2AM, so I was rushing it. To get the spring out with the jack on the rear control arm. So I missed the wires that were on it I could live without the speedo since I could tell my speed by my rpm's but for whatever reason it effects my gas tank. It was changing by gallons depending on my acceleration and slope! So two-day shipping later:

Decided to take some before and after pictures. I hope you see why this is funny.

I got a couple parts in the mail....and decided to finally install something to fix my oil light on startup. Now I don't have to worry about checking my oil as often!

When I replaced the oil level sensor, I changed my oil and sent a sample to blackstone labs. Here are the results!!

I installed some camber plates that I bought from a member. and also bought a VANOS line, which was the source of my oil leak that I've had since I bought the car. Then I also replaced the OFHG while I was in there.

Drove 40 miles and found a mild leak under my hood. It was only on the top, so I tightened the VANOS line from the top side. Turns out you can't reuse a crush washer. This is what happens when you do

Path of oil:

An engine clean was MANDATORY, as was an emergency trip to the BMW dealer for some new crush washers. I had a quart of oil with me and fixed it all in the parking lot without a tow! I missed work though...It smelled like burnt oil everywhere

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII Video coming of me cleaning to show how it got everywhere IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Girlfriend also bought me wheel spacers! Makes the front look super clean. Too bad they had to come off for my new offset bushings (coming at end of post)

I took my front wheels to an alignment shop and they said "it's bent." They didn't clarify which one and I already waited an hour so I just got both fixed. They accidentally refinished one, and told me how lucky I was! Oh yes, I love the color mismatch and now a peeling rim.

If there's anything I've learned from constantly reassembling struts, it's that this piece isn't that essential to how the car handles and that the car oversteers like a fun b*tch without it. It did drastically decrease my wobble. It was clearly exacerbating my issue. Took it to an alignment shop, had the wheels rebalance for roughly the third time now, and it feels really stable past 100mph. I have recently noticed that with hard braking at speed, I can feel the right side still uneasy. I have Archbid's spare in my trunk so I'll probably put that on today or tomorrow and see if that fixes anything. But the roll bar has to stay off for driving to be tolerable.

Update in an update:

I decided to move my rims to my friends to see if we could blame the wheels. Nope, makes his car ride better than ever. So we can rule out the wheels but still have this wobble (with no roll bar). It gets worse under braking. So in 3K miles, I've replaced FCAB's, tie rods, strut mounts (end links on roll bar removed. Ruling out wheels and tires because they're perfect)....and a bad rack wouldn't do this. I replaced my brakes when I first bought my car with R1 concepts. They suck. I've had to replaced the pads. It's very possible my aggressive pads have somehow mis-balanced or mis-weighted or warped my rotors so bad that I feel it as I drive. It is a hypothesis at the moment.
I've also installed new Z4M FCABS...new post about the difference that makes in wheel placement and handling coming up next...

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 01-15-2017 at 02:32 AM.
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:38 AM   #230
evanr614

My Ride: used 2 have 2 pedals
LOL you tried to reuse the crush washers?!

looked like a nightmare

Atlantis Blue 328Ci Project Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...523&highlight=
evanr614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 02:48 AM   #231
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanr614 View Post
LOL you tried to reuse the crush washers?!

looked like a nightmare
Late. Little sleep. Eh. I certainly paid the price!
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #232
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

Quote:

Decided to take some before and after pictures. I hope you see why this is funny.

I'm guessing this is like a Deja Vu? Your car looking at its younger self?

Old 01-17-2017, 11:34 PM   #233
YoitsTmac

yeah. Sophia thought the biggest crime was the brake dust
Old 04-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #234
YoitsTmac

Things have been slow lately. I haven't talked about my M3 seats, brake upgrade, rack swap, and a few other things until I put up this video:

Old 04-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #235
shoman24v

My Ride: 2002 330i 1999 328is
Crush washers should be replaced, but you can get by without it. Looks like something wasn't tight enough to spew that much oil. Or, they've already been removed and reused several times.

Sent from my Pixel XL using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 04-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #236
YoitsTmac

yeah they were new but I needed to change the orientation of the VANOS line and I crushed them too much to be reused
Old 04-26-2017, 04:24 AM   #237
Gunther325

My Ride: '04 325ci
[QUOTE=YoitsTmac;17228397]Things have been slow lately. I haven't talked about my M3 seats, brake upgrade, rack swap, and a few other things until I put up this video:

Will you talk more about the seat swap ?
Gunther325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #238
YoitsTmac

[QUOTE=Gunther325;17229778]
Quote:
Things have been slow lately. I haven't talked about my M3 seats, brake upgrade, rack swap, and a few other things until I put up this video:

Will you talk more about the seat swap ?
Sub to my channel and I'll make sure to have a video up by the end of Friday

Tags
328, cost of ownership, story, teenager