Last Code Help - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 05:20 PM   #1
cdepew

My Ride: 02 330I
Last Code Help

Hello fellow fanatics , I just want to get some insight on the last of my problems. So after getting rid of my CEL's related to vacuum leaks, I am left with two more. I am currently pulling a P0441 (Incorrect purge flow) and a misfire with low fuel cut off.

So I have researched the P0441 code and most people just replace the gas cap, but I have already replaced this so I ruled it out. Among the forums I have found three main parts that people replaced in correspondence with this code: Purge valve, Charcoal canister, or the leak detection pump. I have checked all vacuum lines corresponding to anything fuel related.

So the reason why I am posting on here is because I want to know if a problem I currently have corresponds to either of these parts before I just start buying stuff. When I get gas the pump shuts off after about $2 of gas as it would if you had completely filled up the tank (Makes filling up a pain )

I have done research on this and have heard everything from "the design on our cars to specific pumps being the problem". This is not my case. Every pump in every city that I get gas in does it. It does not matter if I hold the pump at any direction, it just does not fill up automatically at all. I have to do about $2 at a time until I get to the desired amount of gas I want -_-.

I am assuming the car thinks that the gas is filled up so I have come to the conclusion that either something is blocking the gas neck or one of the correlating parts is broken. I have read numerous forums and have not got a solid answer so I am looking into some insight. Fuel Pump is less than 6 months old. I only use Premium gas and throw in some fuel injector cleaner every now and then. Car runs fine except sometimes has a sluggish start up, but I believe this may be related to the battery coming up on 7 years of life.

I apolgize for the long post and I appreciate any advice. I am getting frustrated since I need to pass inspection and finally got my codes down from 8 to just 2. SO close yet so far away. Also I apolgize if there is a thread realting to this, I looked and looked, but like I said nobody gave a solid answer or just never followed through after fixes. I am leaning towards the Purge Valve. Thank you!

If I missed any info that may be important please ask and I can provide it.
cdepew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
If the pump is shutting off prematurely there's something in the station's pumping system that is (falsely) determining that your tank is full. That tells me your purge system may be partially blocked. The charcoal canister is supposed to absorb fumes pushed out of the tank as the tank is filled. That is, when the tank is half full/half empty (/s) of gas, the "other" half is fumes. As gas is added the fumes are forced into the charcoal canister. When you drive the DME (engine computer) periodically opens the purge valve to burn the fumes in the charcoal canister.

I'd get the car on a lift and check the lines. Also, remove the RR fender liner to inspect the purge system closely.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
cdepew

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
If the pump is shutting off prematurely there's something in the station's pumping system that is (falsely) determining that your tank is full. That tells me your purge system may be partially blocked. The charcoal canister is supposed to absorb fumes pushed out of the tank as the tank is filled. That is, when the tank is half full/half empty (/s) of gas, the "other" half is fumes. As gas is added the fumes are forced into the charcoal canister. When you drive the DME (engine computer) periodically opens the purge valve to burn the fumes in the charcoal canister.

I'd get the car on a lift and check the lines. Also, remove the RR fender liner to inspect the purge system closely.

I've checked over everything single hose. Got under the car checked Charcoal canister and leak detection pump for damage: nada. What part would exactly cause this? Would it be the charcoal canister itself? Is there a way to test these parts of the fuel system? I read of s member cleaning his charcoal canister and it fixed his problem, but I'm not sure what exactly he all did.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
markusmarkus

I highly doubt that the canister is bad. It's very simple so there's not much to go wrong! My recommendation is to get the car back up in the air and disconnect the hose from the leak detection pump in the RR fender well and the canister. Then use low pressure air to see if there's a restriction. Also, check the purge valve located under the intake manifold between cylinders 1 & 2. It's easy to access. It may not be opening, so as a result the canister may be full.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:02 AM   #5
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
My e36 will do the same thing unless I run the gas in slowly, no codes.
Old 04-29-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
cdepew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo69 View Post
My e36 will do the same thing unless I run the gas in slowly, no codes.

Mine doesn't matter if it's slow, fast, turned upside down. It's very frustrating and it's the last code that is being thrown. Honestly I'm not sure if they are related because the gas problem came up before the code, but it was never this bad.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:34 AM   #7
cdepew

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
I highly doubt that the canister is bad. It's very simple so there's not much to go wrong! My recommendation is to get the car back up in the air and disconnect the hose from the leak detection pump in the RR fender well and the canister. Then use low pressure air to see if there's a restriction. Also, check the purge valve located under the intake manifold between cylinders 1 & 2. It's easy to access. It may not be opening, so as a result the canister may be full.

So I was actually wondering if there is a way to Check the purge valve? I had removed it and checked the hoses and everything seemed fine. I had already checked the LDP and there was no restriction.

Old 04-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #8
markusmarkus

I'd check the purge valve's operation.

Tags
cutoff, fuel, incorect purge flow, misfire, p0441