E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 07:26 PM   #1
Cecil328i

My Ride: 2000 328i
Tires for Auto-Xing?

Do I need to find a cheap set of tires and rims for my car to autocross? I just now got new tires on and wanted to know how fast the tread wears down on the track. If it's a lot of tread, I might look into getting some cheap tires and rims.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:03 AM   #2
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Run whatever is on tyhe car for the first few events. See how you and your car perform before plunking down money on dedicated wheels and tires. When you are ready, curb rashed take offs are a good investment. 17x8 type 44s can be found for $100 each or less. Budget minded tires for the autocross or driving school include the Falken Azenis and Yokohama ES100.

Ed

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 07:43 AM   #3
Cecil328i

My Ride: 2000 328i
alright thanks Ed. Went to an autocross this past weekend, just to see what its like, i think i could do it, but i'm a bit nervous that ill just screw up.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #4
Jspeed

My Ride: '01 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil328i
alright thanks Ed. Went to an autocross this past weekend, just to see what its like, i think i could do it, but i'm a bit nervous that ill just screw up.
... then take the opportunity to learn driving smoothly as opposed to wrestling with the car. You'll turn in faster times and lessen tire wear.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:59 AM   #5
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
yeah.. definetly start off with streets.. learn to drive em smoothly.. then you can migrate up to r compounds.. the falkens are like THE tire of choice for people who still run street tires.. they can't be beat for the price and performance... if you are gonna go up to R compounds.. the kumho v700 victoracers are the tires to get.. they last the longest and still give good performance.. you can expect on average to get around 80 - 100 autocross runs on a set of victoracers as opposed to 40 - 50 on the ecstas or hoosiers..

just my $0.02..

~T|/\/\
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 02:10 PM   #6
notE46
Where am I?

My Ride: M Coupe
I wouldn't even use Azenis until you are fairly skilled. They are very sticky and can mask some mistakes just like R Compounds can but to a smaller degree.

I ran with street tires (dunlop 8080e and then toyo t1-s) for 3 years before I changed to the Azenis and they grip really well for a non R-compound tire.
'02 330ia
notE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 10:27 PM   #7
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Ive just been using the Michelin Pilot Sports that came on my car. They seem to be good for me.

They are starting to get pretty low in tread. I'll probably end up getting a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports PS2s.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:51 AM   #8
notE46
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander FAT
Ive just been using the Michelin Pilot Sports that came on my car. They seem to be good for me.

They are starting to get pretty low in tread. I'll probably end up getting a new set of Michelin Pilot Sports PS2s.

would you mind giving your impressions of the PS2 when you autox with them?

Thanks.
'02 330ia
Old 07-08-2004, 11:53 PM   #9
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by notE46
would you mind giving your impressions of the PS2 when you autox with them?

Thanks.
Yes, as a matter of fact I would mind.

Kidding.

I don't know if I'll be needing them in time for this season but almost definitley I'll need them for next year's autocrossing season.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:05 AM   #10
notE46
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander FAT
Yes, as a matter of fact I would mind.

Kidding.

I don't know if I'll be needing them in time for this season but almost definitley I'll need them for next year's autocrossing season.

hehe. i can say that toyo t1-s are no good for autox. the tread is too soft. i wore them out in about 20events. well the outside of the treads wore out, the rest of the tread was fine.
'02 330ia
Old 07-09-2004, 09:22 AM   #11
mfino
I give up.........

My Ride: 00 323i SP-P blk/blk
I'm running on Kumho Ecsta MX's and I am really happy with them. Great performer on Auto-x for a street tire.

ECIS Intake | Shark Injector | Scorpion Exhaust | PG2 style rims, YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 235/40/18 | M3 Lip Spoiler | OEM Clears | Hamann Eyelids | M-Technik Front | M-Technik Sides | M-Aero Rear | 50% Tint | M3 Dead Pedal | MOMO Aluminum Pedals | UUC Gauges |Titanium Shadow Painted Trim
mfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:43 AM   #12
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by notE46
...well the outside of the treads wore out, the rest of the tread was fine.
Put some real suspension on that POS coupe.

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote