E46 Touring headlights, side marker lights and tail lights swap - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-30-2017, 11:11 AM   #1
Philip Mew

My Ride: 04 325i, 04 325i
E46 Touring headlights, side marker lights and tail lights swap

I have 4 E46s, 2 sedans and 2 Tourings. All are excellent cars and I love them all. 1 of the Tourings will be sold soon.

The 2002 wagon has the facelifted stock North American spec headlights, fender mounted side marker / turn signal lights and tail lights. The 2004 wagon is also is a facelift model and was retrofitted with those same pieces, 6 in total, with Euro units, that is, with clear lenses rather than amber. Both cars' pieces are in very good if not perfect shape.

I prefer the stock look.

I am guessing the headlights and side marker lights are common to sedans, coupes and convertibles, but the tail lights are specific to the Touring.

What would be the most economical way to have stock units installed on the Touring I will keep ? Simply swap them over ?
If yes, will be hiring my garage to do this as I am hopeless at mechanical work.
Would this be a difficult job ? Would like to have an estimate of how many hours of labour to expect to be billed.

Haven't shopped online yet, and wondering if Euro units cost more than stock units, and if they are in demand. Would it be worth buying stock pieces, then selling the Euro pieces ?

Alternatively, anyone out there with a facelifted Touring with stock pieces that is interested in a swap for stock pieces ?

If there are alternatives, I am all ears. Cost and hassle will be considered.
The goal is to have 1 Touring with the stock bits, keeping in mind that for now I also have a Touring with the bits I want !

Philip Mew
Victoria BC
+1 250 217 4687 cellphone
Philip Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Philip Mew

My Ride: 04 325i, 04 325i
typo -
Alternatively, anyone out there with a facelifted Touring with stock pieces that is interested in a swap for stock pieces ?
should read
Alternatively, anyone out there with a facelifted Touring with stock pieces that is interested in a swap for Euro pieces ?
Philip Mew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 12:20 PM   #3
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Front lights are common to sedan and touring. Coupe and conv are different lights. Tail lights are touring specific. The front headlights should be separate from the front corner lights, if all of OE type construction.

Swapping the lights out is a piece of cake. Front corner lights, side fender lights, and tail lights between 2 cars might take you 2 hours if you're moving slow and being absurdly meticulous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
kensic

My Ride: 325iT
i have a facelift touring with all stock amber pieces. I'm looking to swap over to clear pieces (i think clear on red car looks better).

so are you saying we do a straight swap?

i willing to trade the front corner lights, fender side lights, tail lights (6 pieces total that are amber)

lets get some pictures up

Last edited by kensic; 09-03-2017 at 12:52 PM.
kensic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #5
e46ixside

My Ride: LSB E46 M3
I'll trade you my North American-spec amber tails + cash for your clear tails. In Toronto, ON but I can ship you mine first to make your life easier. Hit me up if you're interested.
e46ixside is offline   Reply With Quote