I stripped threads in my VANOS unit - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 01:36 AM   #1
andytheyagn

My Ride: 2000 bmw
I stripped threads in my VANOS unit

I went about installing new vanos seals on my car today and had no problems until I was reinstalling the exhaust piston cover plate. I set the torque on my torque wrench to 10 ft-lbs instead of 10 Nm (as in BeisanSystem's tutorial), and ended up stripping the soft aluminum threads of the VANOS in one bolt :

At this point, I knew it was unrecoverable, so I grabbed some high temperature threadlocker and torqued it the best I can (about 2Nm before it started to give). My thinking is that this cover might leak oil, so the exhaust VANOS piston might not be effective (just like it was before i changed the seals), but at least the threadlocker will prevent this bolt from vibrating out and falling into the timing chain or something horrible.

Does anybody have any advice or speculation as to what might happen? I've already reinstalled everything and I'm waiting for tomorrow for my RTV sealant to dry and go for a test drive. What should I expect? Is my car toast? Do I need a new VANOS?
andytheyagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:49 AM   #2
coop94xj

My Ride: 2001 330i
I stripped threads in my VANOS unit

You could try using a thread repair kit like Helicoil. They sell them at all the local parts places.
http://www.stanleyengineeredfastenin...ands/heli-coil

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Last edited by coop94xj; 09-14-2017 at 02:51 AM.
coop94xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
Poolman

My Ride: 525 BMW
Heilicoil kit is the correct answer. Quick and easy fix.
Poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2017, 09:58 AM   #4
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
Funny how sometimes a torque wrench can get you in trouble. I've been going by 'feel' for soooo many years now. I do use a TW in critical areas though.

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 High-Ball Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica
11 Kia Sorento SX

Slammin Tunes
Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #5
kaLinski

My Ride: 2003 325i
^ posts above me are correct. Helicoils are a great answer and have alot of strength to offer within a simple installation method. (Source: I represent Stanley and sell helicoil threaded inserts to many, many companies.) You can go to your local hardware store and find "threaded inserts" which are the same thing.

Stanley did a fantastic job of marketing their brand of threaded inserts, people say "helicoil" just like people ask for a "kleenex" instead of a tissue. You're calling a product by its brand name, and not by what it actually is. KATO is another brand of inserts, one that I am more fond of because they use a tangless threaded insert so you don't have to break off the tab on the bottom and retrieve it back out of your predrilled hole for the insert. I am just rambling though...Home Depot should have common size threaded insert or your local specialty hardware store (fastenal too.)