Wiring issues and the large mallet I've chosen - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
WilloCO

My Ride: '05 330xi 6 speed
Wiring issues and the large mallet I've chosen

So I've been getting several codes at once - both cam sensors and the water outlet sensor reading high/low. These share a common wiring path, and I'd recently pulled the wires for a bunch of work. Much of the sheath is brittle and missing and the exhaust cam sensor connector is in bad shape.

I'm good at wiring, but the BMW connectors are super proprietary. I think that cost and time will be excessive to rebuild this. Also, the wiring goes through a large junction box that lives under the intake. It seems to me that for sanity sake I should find another harness to work with.

Enter harness hunting. I have a 05 xi, so I started poking around. Thanks to FCP who sells an entire new harness for $500 or so (too much for me) I was able to see that the later CIs also share the same part number.

This is good news as I found an incredibly cherry harness on ebay from an 05-06 CI. I mean this thing looks almost new! I'm just hoping that the reseller didn't get hurricane'd at this point... Once it arrives I'll re-cable the engine and see where I'm at. This will require pulling the intake to access some of the connectors - knock sensors, etc, but it'll be a good time for me to add the oil pressure breakout that I've been planning (the s54 oil filter housing/m54 vanos feed makes it need an extra part to get full oil sensing)

Meanwhile, I've got a rough low rpm at start which smooths out once the ECU starts ignoring the bad sensor data. I suspect that it's been causing some oil blowby issues as well. It's been really, really annoying me. I have high hopes that this wiring update will alleviate the issues I've found lately.
05 330xi 6 speed
RIP: 86 e30 w/E36 M3 suspension build
WilloCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
WilloCO

My Ride: '05 330xi 6 speed
From looking at various harnesses on ebay, there's a typical wear area - the split tubing that runs along the front of the engine gets brittle and just falls apart. This area seems to get a bit of heat and vibration that just kills it.
If you're looking for a replacement harness, I'd definitely eyeball that section of the harness. It's easy to identify thanks to the shape of the exhaust cam sensor plug.
Most of the plugs use the wire retainer clip, while that one uses more annoying plastic side clips.

Of note, the sensors with wiring in this wear area are the ones that I'm having issues with in my harness.
05 330xi 6 speed
RIP: 86 e30 w/E36 M3 suspension build
WilloCO is offline   Reply With Quote