DSC Coding - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 PM   #1
Manchicle

My Ride: 330xi 6MT
DSC Coding

I converted my xi to rwd and I'm trying to figure out a way to force the DSC to behave like a rwd car, with an option to turn it completely off. The Bosch 5.7 units on xi's are also found on rwd e39 cars, so I'm hoping this might be possible with some coding or maybe a cheap hardware swap. I have access to coding software, but I don't have the confidence to figure this out on my own. Any knowledge out there?
Manchicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #2
Barracuz

My Ride: 01' 525i Manual
I'm sure the abs/traction doesn't care if it's AWD or rwd. ABS is just abs. The tractions system though engages when a wheel outspins another, so if the fronts aren't driven they'll never spin out so DCS shouldn't engage the front.

But anyways i don't think anyone has tapped into the abs/dcs module for anything other than vin coding so you're best bet (if you really need a rwd module) is to get a used one from a red car and code the vin and be done
Barracuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:16 AM   #3
Manchicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barracuz View Post
I'm sure the abs/traction doesn't care if it's AWD or rwd. ABS is just abs. The tractions system though engages when a wheel outspins another, so if the fronts aren't driven they'll never spin out so DCS shouldn't engage the front.

But anyways i don't think anyone has tapped into the abs/dcs module for anything other than vin coding so you're best bet (if you really need a rwd module) is to get a used one from a red car and code the vin and be done
Oh yeah, my system isn't acting up at all under normal conditions. I'd just like the ability to turn off DSC completely like a rwd car for some pure wheelspin without the aid of the "e-diff" function. xi cars can only enter the first stage of DSC, where throttle cut-out is disabled. No way to turn off the braking portion of DSC like rwd guys can do by holding the button.

I guess what I'm trying to determine is if the DSC parameters are hardware or software based. Is it baked into a chip in the unit, necessitating a hardware swap? Or are all units capable of being coded to whatever parameters, sort of like the EU2 tune I just performed on my DME? The last thing I wanna do is swap in a rwd unit only to find that coding it brings it back to xi standards. Don't know enough about how these things work...

Last edited by Manchicle; 09-14-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
A few of us have modified our DSC settings to match M3 specs, but we have the MK60 DSC unit (same as M3). You may need to investigate swapping your DSC unit for the MK60.

Build thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=696662
Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:08 PM   #5
Manchicle

Well, this isn't really that much of a priority. I've been unplugging the brake pressure sensor when I want to have my fun, but that involves popping the hood and I lose ABS as well. I've considered tapping a switch into the circuit so I can at least toggle it from the driver's seat. Would be nice to have a clean, factory conversion.

I'm thinking that removing option 203 (4wd) from my VO might be a possibility. Unfortunately, e39 cars with this Bosch 5.7 unit never made it to the VO system, so I can't be sure...