Is my clutch shot? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-31-2013, 06:32 PM   #1
jcallanan

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Unhappy Is my clutch shot?

2000 328Ci with just shy of 150K on her. It's always shifted fine (had her since about 105K) and I take good care of it - no riding the clutch, dumping the clutch, etc. I don't beat on her. I figured at some point, this would happen due to the mileage, but I want to make sure.

I let my wife drive the car about a month ago and when I got in it, I smelled burnt clutch. I asked her if she had any trouble and she sale yes, she had trouble getting the car through the gears. I told her she probably wasn't sitting with the seat close enough and want fully engaging the clutch.

So yesterday, we needed to swap cars briefly and sure enough, I come home to find my Bimmer at the foot of the driveway, burning smell -- and a dead battery.

WTF?

I jumped it, but once running, I could not get it in any gear. There seems to be a tranny fluid leak in the lines under the radiator (I was aware of a leak and had already replaced a bunch of stuff, thinking it was oil). I checked the tranny fluid through the fill hole and it felt dry, so I pumped in some more fluid and tried again - but still could not get it in gear.

After reading a few posts on here, I put it in first and then started it and got it the few feet up the driveway so I could get the other car out (the gear stayed engaged and the car moved despite the clutch pedal to the floor).

Is the clutch fried (I'm beginning to think this is a dumb question) or could it just be the master cylinder/slave?

If it's the clutch, how tough a DIY is this and from a cost versus Indy repair perspective, is it worth attempting?

Last edited by jcallanan; 08-31-2013 at 06:33 PM.
jcallanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
jcallanan

I just watched the Bavauto video while it's a big job, it doesn't seem that tough. The only thing I don't have is a lift. Anyone replaced a clutch using jack stands instead? Is that possible?
Old 08-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
ddaniel1
CWO4 (Ret)

My Ride: 328i, M3, 525iT
Sure, you can do the job with jack stands, I use a harbor freight transmission jack, makes it easy, if your jack stands don't go high enough you might need to lift the transmission off the jack to get it out from under the car, if doing clutch I would just push it back out of the way and leave it on the jack.

Here is the jack:
http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-39178.html

Last edited by ddaniel1; 08-31-2013 at 09:15 PM.
ddaniel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
ZHPinthe103

My Ride: 325i Black on beige
Is my clutch shot?

How long would it take for a BMW shop to replace the clutch?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
Ken@BavAuto
Bavarian Autosport

My Ride: 1989 325is
Sounds like either your clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder has let go. Or the clutch disc is SO bad that it's welded itself to the pressure plate. At 150k miles you are due for a clutch but it's certainly worth making sure you don't just need a slave or master to get the car going again before you go and pull the exhaust, transmission, etc. And it's certainly possible to do a clutch change on jackstands. You'll want fairly good size stands though. You need to be able to move around under the car quite a bit doing the job.

I would first get under there and unbolt the slave cylinder from the side of the bell housing on the transmission. They seem to fail more frequently than master cylinders. If it's wet with fluid chances are it's junk. If it's dry pull the lower dash panel on the driver's side and take a look/feel around the master cylinder. If it's leaking it's probably shot. If both look good the problem most likely is the clutch itself.

CONNECT WITH US
Facebook | YouTube | DIY Tech Blog | Twitter
Ken@BavAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
IrunBimmer

My Ride: 323i
clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPinthe103 View Post
How long would it take for a BMW shop to replace the clutch?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
a shop can do it within a day but they will charge you upwards of $700 for the job, it does depend where you go obviously but those are the prices.
i paid to get mine changed b.c my transmission bolts were rusted in and even with an impact drive i couldnt get it loose. if you run into a problem like that and your like me and dont have a powerful enough torch then a shop is your best bet.

what is nice about the bmw dealer though is they charge by the job not hourly.

Last edited by IrunBimmer; 09-12-2013 at 10:56 AM.
IrunBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
jcallanan

To update, got the tranny and clutch out and the clutch was down to bare metal. Nothing left on it. Ordering the parts frm BavAuto this week.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i, '11 Z435i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcallanan View Post
To update, got the tranny and clutch out and the clutch was down to bare metal. Nothing left on it. Ordering the parts frm BavAuto this week.
I just finished replacing my clutch (210,000 miles) and instead of using the stock SAC and dual mass flywheel, I got the Valeo single mass flywheel / sprung hub clutch conversion. Based on the initial test drives, I definitely recommend it! Whatever clutch kit you end up getting, don't forget to replace the clutch pivot pin. It's plastic and mine was worn pretty badly. I don't know if it was due to the rest of the clutch or this pivot pin, but the clutch action wasn't all that smooth anymore if you paid attention. With the brass pin I installed it's smooth as silk.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:27 PM   #9
jcallanan

I did it! It took me 4 weekends working slowly in dribs and drabs, but I replaced the clutch and flywheel with the Valeo single mass conversion and did the rear main seal, throw out bearing, pivot pin (replaced the plastic one with a new brass pin) and installed the UUC short-shift kit (after busting my hump for all that time, I wanted at least some performance improvement versus stock). It is so much more fun to drive now! Toughest DIY I've tackled to date, but worth it in the end.

The toughest part of the job was removing the two uppermost bolts on the transmission bell housing and getting the two small ones that hold the starter in place back in. Oh, and the tin gasket that goes between the clutch and the engine - I mistakenly installed the clutch and flywheel without putting it back first (thought it slid over the clutch assembly - wrong). If you try this and are struggling to keep it in place, remember, there is one small bolt that holds it in place and you can use that to keep it from slipping. I also took one of the smaller bell housing bolts and slid it in backwards to keep the metal gasket in place until I got the tranny slid back into place.

Oh, and of course, one of the exhaust manifold bolts broke and drilling that out took me hours. Eventually, I got the hole large enough the slide a thinnner bolt though it - but I'll have to get it to a muffler shop and have it properly torched out and replaced. In all, a beast of a job.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:57 AM   #10
pwcmech

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
so I see you put that valeo single mass conversion clutch in in 2013 What do you think of it now? I'm trying to decide on what clutch to use on my 2001 330i
pwcmech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch