E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #1
Staszek
Are we there yet??

My Ride: Now a daily drive
Send a message via AIM to Staszek
Gary question about snows!

Oki I used to run 225/45R17 all year around, now I have 235/40R18 for the summer, and I am going to get winter wheels for my 17x8 wheels that I used to use all the time.

Anyway I am thinking, maybe for a better ride in the winter and also since NJ has alot of potholes in the winter, would it be better to ride 215/50R17 in the winter on the winter tires?

Thanks!

Euro Delivery Date 8/14: 2013 E93
///M3 -6MT
Staszek is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:26 PM   #2
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek
Oki I used to run 225/45R17 all year around, now I have 235/40R18 for the summer, and I am going to get winter wheels for my 17x8 wheels that I used to use all the time.

Anyway I am thinking, maybe for a better ride in the winter and also since NJ has alot of potholes in the winter, would it be better to ride 215/50R17 in the winter on the winter tires?

Thanks!
You're on the right track, except that 215/50R17 tires aren't recommended to be mounted on 8" wheels. I personally would not fret too much about using 225/45R17 in the snow, as they aren't much different in width or height from the 215/50R17 that you wanted to run and the selection will be far greater in 225/45R17. I'd suggest checking back in mid Sept for best winter tire selection as it is still a bit early on these seasonal items.

Winter
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&...nter/index.jsp

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:17 PM   #3
Staszek
Are we there yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack
You're on the right track, except that 215/50R17 tires aren't recommended to be mounted on 8" wheels. I personally would not fret too much about using 225/45R17 in the snow, as they aren't much different in width or height from the 215/50R17 that you wanted to run and the selection will be far greater in 225/45R17. I'd suggest checking back in mid Sept for best winter tire selection as it is still a bit early on these seasonal items.

Winter
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BN4&...nter/index.jsp

Great yea that is about the time when I am going to buy a set. Thanks!

///M3 -6MT
Old 08-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #4
nzDave

My Ride: Darth Bimmer
Psssst.....Blizzaks
nzDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 01:46 PM   #5
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzDave
Psssst.....Blizzaks
I run the Blizzak WS-50 (though not on my M3), as did the former Moderator Eddie on his E46. We tend to get a lot of lake-effect snow so these help quite a bit.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
Staszek
Are we there yet??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack
I run the Blizzak WS-50 (though not on my M3), as did the former Moderator Eddie on his E46. We tend to get a lot of lake-effect snow so these help quite a bit.

Sounds good I mean I actually did very well with my Conti Extreme Contacts last winter which had a lot of big snow for NJ, so I can imagine a snow tire would be 100 times better then those

///M3 -6MT