E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2004, 08:18 PM   #21
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeRsIaN_PiMp
http://www.apple.com/imac/

It looks pretty cool. It's a neat idea, like a vertical laptop!
I can think of something better than that----and it's not proprietary.
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:46 PM   #22
shizat63

My Ride: 05' 330i ZHP

No games, no apps, no P2P. Gay overpriced hardware.

I'll move to Linux before I run Mac OS
shizat63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:02 PM   #23
Ximian
Fishy

My Ride: Moist Sweetness
Send a message via AIM to Ximian
The hardware is overpriced but not "gay." The G5 is one of the best processors out there.
Ximian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:36 AM   #24
Black107

My Ride: 2002 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev
I guess that's where the external items come into the picture as well as more $$$ flowing out of your pocketbook.
If you cant afford a $15-20 dollar 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel, I dont think you should buy a computer...let alone a bmw.
Black107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:38 AM   #25
BMW330xi01

My Ride: 98 Skyline
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbtstatic
That is what's called an opinion. You have one, and I have one, but they need not be the same.

yes an opinion a wise man once said "an opinion is like an everybody has 1"

NO LONGER INSTALLING IN CONNECTICUT. I AM LOCATED IN JAPAN NOW

LUIS ESCOBAR
L.EscobarJr@yahoo.com

INSTALL PHOTOS
BMW330xi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 02:42 AM   #26
Black107

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizat63

No games, no apps, no P2P. Gay overpriced hardware.

I'll move to Linux before I run Mac OS
Games is the only real thing that PC has an advantage over macs. As far as everything else, name a professional or personal app that you need for PC where an equal or the exact same thing doesn't exist for mac.

As for P2P...only fools use those.

And finally: gay overpriced hardware...sure, if you want to compare some POS $500 Dell family package to a Dual 2.5ghz G5, then fine, I guess you're right, the G5 costs more. But if you're going to run a dual 64bit setup with a good motherboard with atleast a gig of ram, large drives, high end graphics card, etc, PC's with those specs arent cheap either.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:07 AM   #27
baller99

My Ride: My whip
1.8 ghz
256mb ram
600mhz fsb
gf fx 5200
160gb hd =1900

Does anyone else see anything wrong with this?
baller99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:14 AM   #28
oofie

My Ride: 07 Fit
Send a message via AIM to oofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by baller99
1.8 ghz
256mb ram
600mhz fsb
gf fx 5200
160gb hd =1900

nice of you to leave out the 20" widescreen display. besides, one cant compare the 1.8ghz of macintosh to a 1.8ghz PC.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:22 AM   #29
BMWintoxication
Taiwan/Vancouver/Shanghai

My Ride: Jet Black02' 325ci
Send a message via AIM to BMWintoxication Send a message via MSN to BMWintoxication
I like the old ones better..

Mac is the way to go!.... maybe I should sell my G4 powerbook now, before the G5 powerbook comes out..

Orz
BMWintoxication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:24 AM   #30
oofie

My Ride: 07 Fit
Send a message via AIM to oofie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWintoxication
I like the old ones better..

Mac is the way to go!.... maybe I should sell my G4 powerbook now, before the G5 powerbook comes out..
sell ur powerbook? hehe, im kinda looking to upgrade my mac, got an ibook, i could use the extra power.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:24 AM   #31
daeojkim

My Ride: 2000 323i
Get AMD64.
Old 09-02-2004, 04:31 AM   #32
bimmer88

My Ride: 06 Lexus GS430
Send a message via AIM to bimmer88
Quote:
1.8 ghz
256mb ram
600mhz fsb
gf fx 5200
160gb hd =1900

that 1.8 ghz G5 processor will blow away just about any P4 right now... i believe the imac w/ a 20" widescreen is about $1899... that's not a bad price considering the monitor is worth over a grand itself... i used to be a mac user myself... from mac OS 7 all the way to OS 9... then i switched over to PC... never touched macs again until recently... the new Mac OS X is so much better than windows..... there's also another version coming out soon... it does a ton of stuff that windows doesn't... the search feature finds files instantly w/ no wait at all...

Last edited by bimmer88; 09-02-2004 at 04:39 AM.
bimmer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 12:29 PM   #33
Black107

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer88
that 1.8 ghz G5 processor will blow away just about any P4 right now... i believe the imac w/ a 20" widescreen is about $1899... that's not a bad price considering the monitor is worth over a grand itself... i used to be a mac user myself... from mac OS 7 all the way to OS 9... then i switched over to PC... never touched macs again until recently... the new Mac OS X is so much better than windows..... there's also another version coming out soon... it does a ton of stuff that windows doesn't... the search feature finds files instantly w/ no wait at all...
Same here, except that I've still kept my mac while using a PC at work.

Basically, to anyone who can look past the brand name and subtle differences, the two platforms and their OS's (Windows XP and Mac OSX) are basically the same. If you know how to use a mac, a pc will be like 2nd nature (it was for me). If you use PC's, macs should be 2nd nature as well.

I've used both for an extensive amount of time and I've come to the conclusion that macs are still better, not because of the name, but because of the features that are in the OS. For example, in OSX when you open an app, you dont have to have a window open all the time to keep the app running, where as in windows, when you close the last window of an app, *poof* the app shuts down, unless you minimize it to the taskbar which is lame. Another thing I hate about windows is in Adobe apps especially, when the app is open, the windows within the app can only extend to as far as the "App" window is stretched (big ugly opaque window that blocks anything behind it. In mac, the app is completely transparent and only the windows within the app cover the rest of the things on the screen, not the app itself.

Quote:

1.8 ghz
256mb ram
600mhz fsb
gf fx 5200
160gb hd =1900

As someone else alluded to, 1.8Ghz in a G5 does not equal 1.8Ghz in a P4 in terms of raw computing productivity. This is because PC's use a system of 20 steps to complete a process where as macs use a 7 or 8 step system. So its still not as cut and dry as multiplying the mac clock speed by 20/7 to get a "pc clock speed", but you should atleast keep that in mind.

Also, note that the new iMac has a 600mhz front side bus. That is MAMMOTH compared to what Macs and computers in general used just a few years ago (100 or 133 mhz front side buses come to mind). The graphics card is not a top of the line gaming model, but why would you expect a computer made for the general public to have a card that powerful/expensive? It is good for most everyones needs, true its not upgradable, but if computer manufacturers did a survey, I bet it would show that the majority of the public doesnt upgrade their graphics cards anyway.

You can put more ram in, dont be so ignorant.

160gb hd is nothing to sneeze at. Hell, I've got 200gb that I've put together over the years starting with a 40gb that came with the computer, another 40 (purchased for $150 back in the day, time flies), and a 120gb firewire drive.

Last edited by Black107; 09-02-2004 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:52 PM   #34
Jarn0

My Ride: Nada :(
1.8ghz Mac = humm .. let's say 2.5Ghz PC .. so it's not that bad !! btw IMacs r made not to play games with .. but to work with that is completly different .. u don't need a 3.4ghz with 1gig of ram to open Photoshop ..
Originally Posted by JoeVert
There is a good reason why so many more black men date white girls then vice versa. I have a feeling black men are not avoiding black women because of their color
Of all the posts I've read in forums in my life, this was easily the most captivating. It has all the elements of a great post, adventure, mystery, love, and danger...When I read this post, it took my breath away. Simply amazing. 10 stars!
Jarn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 01:56 PM   #35
Dinan e36

My Ride: LEXUS IS350
Send a message via AIM to Dinan e36
Mac is teh suck
Old 09-02-2004, 02:08 PM   #36
04E46

My Ride: 04 M3
ahhhh. Mac. Too little too soon.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:13 PM   #37
daeojkim

My Ride: 2000 323i
I have to agree that mac price has become very competitive in the last few years compared to 4 years ago when the G4's started rolling out.

G5 are excellent processors without a doubt and mac hardware design is superior to most X86 PC's out there. I liked the previous iMac design better than the current model.

Yes the 20" monitor is nice, but the rest of the hardware specs are quite poor, including memory, graphic card, etc. Bluetooth and wireless networking is not standard and other peripherals will cost you few hundred more.

The only reason I would get OSX over windows XP professional is because of the native FreeBSD Unix. Other features I don't see much advantage over Windows. (Note: I use both OSX and Windows at work).

Now look at ACER Ferrari 3200 "laptop" that I mentioned previously.
AMD64 2800+ , faster than the new G5 1.8GHz (Supports both 32 and 64 bit, MS will release 64bit Win XP soon)
512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Will blow away gf fx 5200)
15" SXGA (you don't wanna have 20" monitor laptop)
DVD burner that can do +R/W, -R/W, and RAM and it is slot loading (The iMac's super drive does not handle +R/W nor DVD-RAM)
Bluetooth + g54 wireless and "Gigabit ethernet" standard (no bluetooth or wireless standard on iMac)
80GB HD
multi flashcard memory readers (no flash card reader in iMac)
it is portable
It looks really good as well.

All this for less than $1900

For $1900 I would rather buy the Ferrari.

Now some may say "Well you cannot compare laptop to a desktop". Imagine mac laptop with similar spec as the above laptop. It will definitely cost over $3000 easily.

Last edited by daeojkim; 09-02-2004 at 02:26 PM.
daeojkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 06:52 PM   #38
bimmer88

My Ride: 06 Lexus GS430
Send a message via AIM to bimmer88
amd64 2800+ processors are not faster than g5 1.8 ghz....
Old 09-02-2004, 07:09 PM   #39
bonsai

My Ride: 328i
Send a message via ICQ to bonsai Send a message via AIM to bonsai
the g5 is nowhere near its powerbook debut. just cuz the imac came out doesnt mean that the powerbook is on the way. also, the imac design seems to me to be something of a preview of the rumored mac tabletpc. there are loose design sketched on the mac tablet and the new imac could give us a really good idea at what the tablet form will look like (although it is rumored to be a bigger tablet, its not 20"'s big)

and getting a 64bit chip, like athlon 64's, does not help at all right now because windows xp isnt made to utilize the bigger pipeline. (i think there are graphics programs out there made to use the 64bit capability, not sure tho)

i AM the third deviation
bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:54 PM   #40
Black107

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai
the g5 is nowhere near its powerbook debut. just cuz the imac came out doesnt mean that the powerbook is on the way. also, the imac design seems to me to be something of a preview of the rumored mac tabletpc. there are loose design sketched on the mac tablet and the new imac could give us a really good idea at what the tablet form will look like (although it is rumored to be a bigger tablet, its not 20"'s big)

and getting a 64bit chip, like athlon 64's, does not help at all right now because windows xp isnt made to utilize the bigger pipeline. (i think there are graphics programs out there made to use the 64bit capability, not sure tho)
G5 Powerbooks wont be out until next year I believe.

64 bit chips will really shine when both the OS's (Windows XP and Mac OSX) and applications are 64 bit (like Maya, 3dsmax, Shake, After Effects, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, etc).

And comparing the iMac to a nice pc laptop doesn't work because laptops would have more like bluetooth and airport standard, where as an imac isn't going anywhere so its not really necessary and would only inflate the price of the machine. The graphics card in the iMac is fine for 95% of the people that will buy an iMac, professionals or mac gamers will buy Powermac Towers anyway (I know I would).