E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2004, 02:22 PM   #1
shiro_46

My Ride: M54 B30
Villeneuve testing w/ Rennault?

Apparently he did a seat fitting today.

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=63189

My question is .. aren't Fisichella joining Rennault ?!?!
shiro_46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:00 PM   #2
Jeff43
next mod: recaro child seat

My Ride: smells like surf wax
JV might be replacing Trulli for the last 3 races of this season...next year's Renault line up will be Fisi and Alonso...JV may take Fisi's spot over at Sauber for next season...

the new rumor resulting from the JV rumor is that if Trulli is cut, he'll go to Toyota now (although that deal hasn't been "officially" announced yet), and Zonta (who replaced da Matta) will be moved back to test driver...

if JV puts on a good show in these races, it may open some better (or faster) doors, although most spots seem to be spoken for next season w/the exception of the lower tiered teams...

Last edited by Jeff43; 09-14-2004 at 11:06 PM.
Jeff43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 11:21 PM   #3
Talon Load

My Ride: '01 330i
Yeah, that whole Trulli situation is weird. They build him a new car for the last race and he still sucks. I think that the Renault is a good car, but Trulli's win in Monaco was a fluke. Plus he is poping off about having signed with a nother team. I don't think both team and driver are playing into his not placing. With JV testing I think the decision has been made. It be interesting to see how he does after being out of the car.

I am interested in the battle over Button though. Supposedly the first hearing on the case is going to be the weekend of the Chinese GP. Button is a good driver and I think he should go where he will be happiest. It's all the money talking. If money is such an issue then I have the perfect solution. Pay me what the Air Force pays me now so I can cover my bills and I'll go drive for whichever team needs a driver. I'd give a nut to be a F1 driver.

Girl almost makes the Marine Corps look good, almost.
Talon Load is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 08:02 AM   #4
Talon Load

Well, looks like Trulli is out for sure. And JV had a seat fitting so I would guess he is in since Renault is one driver short now. Renault Story

Old 09-15-2004, 11:13 AM   #5
Jeff43

yup...Toyota is also supposed to announce their new driver for next season today...so the worst kept secret in the paddock is true(lli) to Toyota...

JV has just inked his deal for next season w/Sauber....Renault is still saying that his seat is contingent on his testing in Silverstone today and tomorrow...i'd imagine he'll be in the car for China.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
Jeff43

and a pic of JV in the Renault

Old 09-15-2004, 11:48 AM   #7
shiro_46

cool, what a shakeup before the end of the season!

from what i heard on tv during monza, trulli's got some probs in his head on how rennault is screwing him .. and that really finished him there. i'd be funny watching RS and JT in toyota next yr .. and i wonder where their cars will be!

i didn't watch F1 till the last 2 yrs .. but the few times villeneuve went head to head w/ schumi it was excellent! now in a new china track, it could be a good battle between JV and MS ..! hopefully he gets the last 3 GP with rennault!
Old 09-15-2004, 07:42 PM   #8
Talon Load

From the sound of the the article on Speed TV JV will drive with Renault for the last three races and then go to Sauber. I hope that he can do some good for Sauber, but I just don't think that the Sauber cars are quite up to snuff even though the Red Bull Owner is throwing a lot of money in to R&D

Old 09-16-2004, 10:03 AM   #9
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
JV signed with Sauber for the 2005 season, but he will be in a Mild Seven Renault for the final GP of the season.

In other team swapping news:
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:07 AM   #10
GordonMurray
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon Load
From the sound of the the article on Speed TV JV will drive with Renault for the last three races and then go to Sauber. I hope that he can do some good for Sauber, but I just don't think that the Sauber cars are quite up to snuff even though the Red Bull Owner is throwing a lot of money in to R&D
I have predicted Sauber to do well the last two years, and they have yet to probe me completely correct. Next year they are using a different gearbox and they will be sourced this year's Ferrari engine. With JV and Massa I think they can start finishing in the top 5 consistently. Even though Toyota has signed two extremely talented drivers (Ralf Schumacher and Trulli), I think Gascoyne is crazy if he thinks his car can compete. Just an example of how money doesn't always buy success.

Look for Williams to be strong. They are doing what they should have done all along, improve the FW25. I blame the aerodynamicist (a woman) on the Walrus nose and the twin keel setup. They've already lose the tusks and next season they will go back to a single keel setup. With Webber (over-hyped in my opinion, I'd rather have Pizzonia) and possibly JB (would be a great pickup), look for Williams to be back where they were in 2003.

As far as West McLaren - they have the two best drivers not driving for the Tifosi, in my opinion. Both Raikkotron and JPM were in the hunt at the end of 2003 for a Driver's. Unfortunately they both had crappy cars in 2004. If Ilmor can get their act together (and up the power) and McLaren can put together a decent package, this could be the team to beat next year. Healthy competition between the driver's is generally a good thing. However, the car will still have problems and instead of one disappointed Kimi shoving race stewards, you will have two hot heads that speak ill of the car in the public by mid-season.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:12 AM   #11
GordonMurray
Banned

I posted this in another thread, but thought the few F1 fans here might enjoy.

If you watched closely this past weekend, you noticed that BAR had something new on the front of their cars. It's the return of their FTTS (Front Torque Transfer System), which was previously banned by the FIA. It's first incarnation used both hydraulics and electronics to control weight being transferred from the inside wheel to the outside wheel during hard braking/cornering. This would allow for deeper braking/later turn-in, which could prove especially useful at tracks that have hard chicanes. Upcoming Shanghai's curves 7 and 8 come to mind:

Anthony Davidson has apparently been testing this system on Friday's throughout the season and it made a great first showing at Monza this past weekend, with BAR finishing 3-4 behind the Tifosi favorites.

Here's a shot of the front of a BAR:

Besides the mechanic who is plotting on how he can further illegally help his team beat BMW.WilliamsF1, you will notice some horizontal "bars" that look superfluous. Ahhh, it's the FTTS you have spotted.

Here it is blown up:

From my findings I believe that:
Yellow = power steering reservoirs.
Blue = steering arms.
Red = "axles" of the FTTS.
Green = the viscous differential type unit that is the heart of the FTTS. In the green area you will notice what appears to be one wire and some tubing for fluid. Although an electronic component would I believe make this system illegal, it's also possible that they are related to cooling the unit. It will be interesting to see if any other teams develop similar systems.

Another nice thing about the picture is that you will notice a single keel setup. What Williams will be going back to next year since they have failed miserably this year.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:19 PM   #12
Talon Load

Sweet pic of the torque transfer system. I haven't seen that site before. I'll have to go check it ou. I hope you are right about Sauber. It would be good to see do well. As far as Williams is concerned I don't know. I like Webber and we'll see about Jensen. I'm thinking that they'll have to do something with the aerodynamics on the car as well as the realiability to be competative. I'd like to see them do well. I know they are saying that McLaren is a step ahead of them on developemt. I saw on SpeedTV.com that Williams is trying to come up with an alternate solution to the motor issue coming up. They have stated that they didn't want to participate if it were to go to V8. I totally understand the money and safty factor of the sport and I agree with it, but I don't want F1 to become some meaningless series. I have been a F1 fan since I can remember and I want to stay that way.

I'm not to sure that new BAR setup is the way to go. I know what they have it on the car for, but it really takes away from the driver having to prove a little something extra. Plus listening to Steve Matchet on Sunday it sounds like aerodynamically it's actually hurting the car even though Jensen did well. I know Benneton tried it a few years ago and gave up on it since it wasn't worth the hassle. I guess we'll see.

McLaren will be stong next year if they can get their reliability up. I wonder how old Kimi felt Sunday. Two weeks ago he wins the show and next race he only does 4 laps. WOW. It should be a great matchup next year and I think Ferrari is going to be a contender again. They have a great team and great drivers. Plus I have to stick with Schumi. I've been a fan of his since he came into the sport. All I know is that I can't hardly wait for next June so I can go back to Indy to see those beautifull cars, hear the V-10's and get consumed by the weekend again.

Old 09-17-2004, 09:46 AM   #13
GordonMurray
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon Load
I'm not to sure that new BAR setup is the way to go. I know what they have it on the car for, but it really takes away from the driver having to prove a little something extra. Plus listening to Steve Matchet on Sunday it sounds like aerodynamically it's actually hurting the car even though Jensen did well. I know Benneton tried it a few years ago and gave up on it since it wasn't worth the hassle. I guess we'll see.
Having the rotating axles in the main airstream accounted for a 1.8% loss in downforce I believe. I think the advantages of the system outweigh the loss in downforce.

Quote:
McLaren will be stong next year if they can get their reliability up. I wonder how old Kimi felt Sunday. Two weeks ago he wins the show and next race he only does 4 laps. WOW. It should be a great matchup next year and I think Ferrari is going to be a contender again. They have a great team and great drivers. Plus I have to stick with Schumi. I've been a fan of his since he came into the sport. All I know is that I can't hardly wait for next June so I can go back to Indy to see those beautifull cars, hear the V-10's and get consumed by the weekend again.
I think with Williams going back to a single keel setup, the return of the convential nose cone and the advances they will continue to make in aero in the off season, they will be ahead of McLaren.
Old 09-17-2004, 12:43 PM   #14
shiro_46

hate to say it, but Rubens was right early in the season. Williams thought a new nose will be the difference .. while the rest of the rid spent that time and energy in making other aspects of it faster.

maybe the nose really is faster .. but the rest of the car have to been up to speed too.