E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2004, 08:52 PM   #21
jmsanders78
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Philly
Posts: 280
My Ride: 328i, Z4
Well, I'm not under full maintenance any more. Even if I was I doubt I'd try to get BMW to pick up the tab. I only use BMW pads in the winter and that's because I have some left. Free rotors would be useful, but they're the cheapest part of the deal. If I couldn't afford to pay for the rotors I use on the track (but could pay for everything else) it would probably be a cue to back off on the track time.

Paddle - do you use R-comps? And if so, what kind of camber are you running? I just corded my first set of R-comps (Michelin PSCs) but only the outside edge of the left side of the car was done. The inside edge of the left side tires looked fine, and the right side tires look great. I was thinking that I need more camber, but the rear has a little more than 2 degrees which is within Tire Rack's suggested camber range and it was corded (the front has a little more than a degree, below Tire Rack's suggested range, which is why I was thinking about more camber). Hot pressures were fine. Maybe it's just that track. I got 4 or 5 days out of them. Thoughts? I'm done driving for this season and was thinking of getting another pair of the PSCs for next season. Does anyone have advice on that? Should I replace all 4 at the same time?
jmsanders78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:17 PM   #22
Commander FAT
Network Analyst
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,484
My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Unfortunately, 4-wheel off at a CCA event comes with more than an inspection but also a one-to-one talk with the chief instructor, a stern warning and reciting the entire incident in front of the entire class. Did I mention that it will go onto your student record for all CCA chapters to look at?

A second time off in the same day, they will send you packing. No refund.
When I offroaded at Grattan this past weekend I got flagged in.

All they did was a quick check under my car and asked what happened and if I was okay.
__________________
Because the B isn't for bling.
Commander FAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:21 AM   #23
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.
 
Mr Paddle.Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: By that double apexes
Posts: 2,131
My Ride: B3 epsilon
Don't get me started on what happened last Saturday. Long story short, on Sat morning I discovered a nail in my right front tire when adjusting the PSS9s. I had the tire patched eventually but I missed the first session and the first classroom meeting. When I got back on the track, I forgot two things: (1) my jack still in the trunk and (2) I forgot to adjust the PSS9 on the right front to stiff. So imagine stiff on 3 corners and soft on 1 corner. Carry too much speed over a right hander hill. Once the front starts to load, swooosh 180deg into dirt. My first thought was that the tire wasn't patch well and was losing air during the first few laps.

I never spun in a CCA event before and this time I did, and I felt that I was put in the limelight for the rest of the two days. Funny thing was not one instructor mentioned that just maybe the tire wasn't patched right and caused the unbalance in the car. It's always "you forgot to unwind your wheel" and "one more spin and you're out!". Remember when you were a kid, you did something wrong and the teacher made you stood up and admitted the wrong doing? Yup.

I will post a full report once I get some video clips in as well. Not the spin of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander FAT
When I offroaded at Grattan this past weekend I got flagged in.

All they did was a quick check under my car and asked what happened and if I was okay.
__________________

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:33 AM   #24
Mr Paddle.Shift
PhD Mech. Eng.
 
Mr Paddle.Shift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: By that double apexes
Posts: 2,131
My Ride: B3 epsilon
R-comps not in my radar yet. But probably soon after I get promoted to the next level. I am running Michelins PS2s, which IMO perform extremely well compared to the old PSs. Anyway, I corner balanced my car to 50.1/49.9. Running very conservative camber numbers at -1.5 (F) and -1.25 (R).

About the uneven wear, did you corner balance your car? What suspension setup do you have?

Since you invested in R-comps, think about a notch further with a pyrometer as well. There is an entire literature on reading temperature gradient etc. Suggested camber settings may not be optimal settings, since it depends on the driving style, the car behavior and of course the track layout.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsanders78
Well, I'm not under full maintenance any more. Even if I was I doubt I'd try to get BMW to pick up the tab. I only use BMW pads in the winter and that's because I have some left. Free rotors would be useful, but they're the cheapest part of the deal. If I couldn't afford to pay for the rotors I use on the track (but could pay for everything else) it would probably be a cue to back off on the track time.

Paddle - do you use R-comps? And if so, what kind of camber are you running? I just corded my first set of R-comps (Michelin PSCs) but only the outside edge of the left side of the car was done. The inside edge of the left side tires looked fine, and the right side tires look great. I was thinking that I need more camber, but the rear has a little more than 2 degrees which is within Tire Rack's suggested camber range and it was corded (the front has a little more than a degree, below Tire Rack's suggested range, which is why I was thinking about more camber). Hot pressures were fine. Maybe it's just that track. I got 4 or 5 days out of them. Thoughts? I'm done driving for this season and was thinking of getting another pair of the PSCs for next season. Does anyone have advice on that? Should I replace all 4 at the same time?
__________________

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1.
Supercharged E46 M54B25.
2011 NASA TTC So Cal Champion!
Track blog.
Technik Engineering oil cap o-ring maintenance kit available.
Mr Paddle.Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 02:26 AM   #25
Mpower619
Apexengineering.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: San Diego, USA
Posts: 683
My Ride: 2000 328Ci(e46)
that is good weight distribution paddleshift. about going off the track, well we all do it at first and I believe if you dont have such an experience then you aint trying hard enough to find the limits of your car and your driving. If you get four off consistantly then maybe one should sit and think on why they are going off, are they over driving the car, are the misjudging braking points, are you driving with your mirrors, or most importantly RED MIST getting in your eyes. Remeber practice makes perfect so keep on trying. Lets keep the BMW representation going guys.
__________________
Mpower619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 02:38 AM   #26
VMRWheels
Sponsor
 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Anaheim, CA
Posts: 10,146
My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift
Unfortunately, 4-wheel off at a CCA event comes with more than an inspection but also a one-to-one talk with the chief instructor, a stern warning and reciting the entire incident in front of the entire class. Did I mention that it will go onto your student record for all CCA chapters to look at?

A second time off in the same day, they will send you packing. No refund.
My reason to go 4 off was justified, a honda spun out in front of me, and the only to avoid hitting him was to drive thru the dirt. It was a 50-60mph corner, so I was going thru the dirt at that speed. They black flagged me in, said something along the lines of "wow, how did you do that?" checked my wheels/brakes and sent me back on the track.

During the last STUSA event held at Buttonwillow (big track), people in the "advanced" group were spinning and 4 wheeling around every other corner. I thought that was silly, but the instructors had a talk with the advanced group and sent several people to lower run groups.

The highest run group I ever ran was slow intermediate haha...
__________________
Mitch @ VMR | Wheels
Tel: 714-442-7916 EXT 107 | Email: Mitch@velocitymotoring.com

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use