E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-16-2004, 09:47 AM   #1
mperfct
dot eleven N for the win

My Ride: 97 M3
Send a message via AIM to mperfct Send a message via MSN to mperfct Send a message via Yahoo to mperfct
Why doesn't BMW race FIA WRC?

Just curious. I rather enjoy watching WRC. Why is it that Americans like the lesser skilled motorsports like Nascar over F1, WRC, and even SpeedGT? That's another thread...

I figured BMW would like to do some WRC with their XI line, they certainly have the motorsports heritage and financial capacity to do it. Then, on 2nd thought, do any auto companies do both F1 and WRC? BMW would certainly be alright in WRC, given that they have the most balanced, best handling cars out of the box.

What gives?

My home theatre thread

Audi A6 4.2
mperfct is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #2
teamdfl
Slow in, slower out

My Ride: 325it
The E46 chassis is way too big/heavy for WRC.

My Track Schedule

The solution to the lack of headroom in the X6

teamdfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
mperfct
dot eleven N for the win

Send a message via AIM to mperfct Send a message via MSN to mperfct Send a message via Yahoo to mperfct
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdfl
The E46 chassis is way too big/heavy for WRC.
what about the 1 series chassis?

My home theatre thread

Audi A6 4.2
Old 09-16-2004, 11:32 AM   #4
MrMotorwerk
Der Meisterstück

My Ride: '02 330Ci
WRC most likely does not fit BMW's image and marketing hence there isn't any factory BMW WRC cars.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #5
malakia12

My Ride: 05 Xterra, 05 Sentra
Send a message via AIM to malakia12
I think the engine might have something to do with it too. All the FIA WRC cars have turbocharged 4cylinder engines putting out like 300 HP/ 300 TQ. Those engines are proven reliable(for the most part). I don't see BMW building anything like that in the near future.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:14 PM   #6
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX
Just curious. I rather enjoy watching WRC. Why is it that Americans like the lesser skilled motorsports like Nascar over F1, WRC, and even SpeedGT? That's another thread...

I figured BMW would like to do some WRC with their XI line, they certainly have the motorsports heritage and financial capacity to do it. Then, on 2nd thought, do any auto companies do both F1 and WRC? BMW would certainly be alright in WRC, given that they have the most balanced, best handling cars out of the box.

What gives?
You obviously know nothing about WRC.

Quote:
The Jaguar name is likely to be lost from the FORMULA 1™ grid in 2005, with bosses of parent company Ford radically shaking up their participation in global motorsport.

Malcolm Wilson, the boss of Ford's rally programme, told reporters on Wednesday that it was unlikely the team would compete every round of the 2005 FIA World Rally Championship. It is thought that this cost-cutting measure will allow Ford to improve its performance within FORMULA 1™. Many areas of the team will be dramatically altered, whilst 'Jaguar Racing' will be re-branded 'Ford Grand Prix' to give the brand greater global awareness.

In a separate incident, Ford are to close the Jaguar production plant at Browns Lane in Coventry at the expense of some 2,000 jobs.
What's interesting about this is that they are taking money away from a very successful WRC programme. Markko Martin is currently in third place in the Driver's, just 1 point behind Petter Solberg. For them to make this work, they need to put to quality drivers in their seats. I think DC would be an excellent acquisition if they can get him.

It's about time that Ford got SERIOUSLY involved in Formula 1.
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 02:33 PM   #7
cabana

My Ride: 2007 330xi,323i 1999
BMW already used E30 M3 in the rally, but they were so small and 4 cylinders, I think they raced some E36 M3 LTW too, called the Gruppe N in france, but the E46 chassis is a complete different story
cabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:24 AM   #8
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
You correct about 300hp, however the torque is closer to 500 ft lbs.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 07:39 AM   #9
mperfct
dot eleven N for the win

Quote:
GordonMurray
GM, please enlighten me. I'm not claiming to know anything about WRC other than the fact I enjoy watching it, I that I have utmost respect for the drivers and the teams. Is my question askew?

My home theatre thread

Audi A6 4.2
Old 09-26-2004, 03:22 PM   #10
VivaM3

My Ride: 95 Toyota Celica
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonMurray

your question isn't askew...there's always someone on the board who answers with a condescending tone whenever a question is asked.

like you said, BMW certainly has the financial capacity to race in the WRC. i think its more a matter of BMW not wanting to spend money on a WRC team. as much money as BMW makes, believe me there's an investment plan for every last cent of it. to start investing in WRC again would mean that BMW would have to decrease funding for F1, R&D, and other areas of the company. BMW has been involved in WRC in the past, and i think when the time is right, they will get involved again.
VivaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 07:25 PM   #11
Casanova
Europrojektz Malaysia

My Ride: E46/E92/RX8
Send a message via ICQ to Casanova Send a message via AIM to Casanova Send a message via MSN to Casanova
BMW would have to develope a turbocharge 2.0L engine to compete, which I don't see them doing in the near future. They already compete in F1, ETCC and LeMans.

The only company I think that did both was Toyota. But they scrapped their WRC team when they decided to compete in F1.

Director of Europrojektz Malaysia Chapter
Hamann GT-R Widebody | Modified AA-Tuning supercharger kit
My New Ride
Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 02:05 AM   #12
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Can you suggest an AWD car that bmw would be able to race? Cause I can't...mini is FWD, 1 series is RWD
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 02:52 AM   #13
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWERKEN
Can you suggest an AWD car that bmw would be able to race? Cause I can't...mini is FWD, 1 series is RWD
a 3xx Xi
Old 10-04-2004, 06:17 PM   #14
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109
a 3xx Xi
Yea it'd be a good chassis cept is WAY too big and WAY to heavy...
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:20 PM   #15
vaio76109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWERKEN
Yea it'd be a good chassis cept is WAY too big and WAY to heavy...
Well the WRX and 330xi share relatively similiar dimensions. As for weight, that can easily be taken care of.