E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
eelade

My Ride: '04 330CI ZHP
Question Those with TVonNav units.

I have a question for those of you who have the TVonNav unit on your cars. I installed mine and hooked up a portable DVD player's external video output to the video input jack in the TVonNav harness. Switched the tuner to "AV", but I don't see the video on the Nav screen. Any of you encounter this problem? How did you fix it or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.

EELADE
eelade is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:53 PM   #2
NIK23

My Ride: '02 330Ci Topaz Blue
Send a message via AIM to NIK23
I don't have a DVD player, but when I was installing my TVonNav unit, I briefly connected my Xbox to the AV input to see how it works. I don't remember all the details, but I know that there were couple of things that I had to do to get it to work. One was, when you set your TV channel to AV I believe that there is some option to specify NTSC or PAL. For North American you want to select NTSC. Second, I remember that I couldn't see anything until I "grounded" one of the cables on the harness. There is a thin cable on the TV harness (I believe it's yellow) that's not mentioned in the manual. If you attach that cable to the car's frame (try different places) you should see the picture from your TV player. Sorry for the lack of details, but if you still can't get it to work then let me know, and I'll check how I got it to work.
NIK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 08:13 AM   #3
eelade

NIK23,

Thanks for the response. I finally got an e-mail back from TVonNav and they told me to attach bare wire to the video input jack and attach the other end to the video module. It doesn't work to well though. If I plug the dvd player into the cigarette light then the video works without the bare wire, but running it off it's internal battery doesn't. What's that wire (yellow?) that you mentioned? Is it a loose wire? Funny how TVonNav didn't mention that to me.

Thanks again for any help.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:16 PM   #4
GeoMystic

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
I don't have the COMPLETE TV on NAV kit, but I do have their module. I put the retro together myself piece by piece. I have the OEM Video Module and Harness. When I hooked up my Blaupunkt DVD player, I was not getting any video until I connected the "switched: or "accessory" yellow wire from my DVD player. This wire is only getting 12v when the key is in the on position. I had three wires to connect on my DVD player other than the A/V:

Black - ground
Red - Constant 12V power
Yellow - Switched 12V power

If the yellow or switched 12v is not connected, it will not display. I cant remember exactly were I got the switched 12v from, but I think it came from the HK amp in the trunk. I looked for a wire that only went on with ignition key and off whe car is off.

I mention this because you said it works when plugged into your cig lighter, therefore it might be a power issue. You can try changing your RCA cables also, but I doubt it's them.

Hope this helps.

2003 330i Mystic Blue - Black Alcantara/Cloth
6 Sp Manual | Performance Package | Cold Weather Package | Silver Cube Trim | Navigation | Bi-Xenons | Moonroof | PDC

OEM Clears - OEM Alarm - OEM TV Function retro - Blaupunkt DVD-ME3 - HD-DICE - DIY Clutch Stop - Silver headlight inserts - M3 Rearview Mirror - OEM ///M Dead Pedal - Euro First Aid Kit - Euro Warning Triangle - 35/20 Window Tint - ECIS CAI - ACS Style Roof Spoiler
GeoMystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2004, 04:45 PM   #5
eelade

GeoMystic, thanks for the insight ... I think it is the grounding issue like NIK23 mentioned and TVonNav said this also. I didn't know about or notice a yellow cable that NIK23 mentioned. I gather that plugging the portable DVD player into the cigarette lighter grounded the unit which somehow allowed the video to show up.

NIK23, is the yellow cable wrapped? I don't recall seeing any "loose" wire. Damn, I need to take the trunk apart again and look.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
NIK23

I tried to get more details on that wire, but then I realized that when I was installing my new CD changer I left all the connectors from the TV harness safely tucked in behind the trunk lining. I did't feel like taking it all apart since it looks like you have it working. I didn't mean to say that the little wire was loose. It was simply one thin wire coming out of the harness (I think yellow or white) that wasn't mentioned at all in the installation guide. I was a little misleading in the initial post, but now I remember that in order to get the AV input to work I had to touch that wire to one of the AV inputs in order to see anything on the screen. Since I'm not an expert with this, I don't know whether touching that cable grounds the device and why it works like that, I just discovered this by accident.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:45 PM   #7
eelade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIK23
I tried to get more details on that wire, but then I realized that when I was installing my new CD changer I left all the connectors from the TV harness safely tucked in behind the trunk lining. I did't feel like taking it all apart since it looks like you have it working. I didn't mean to say that the little wire was loose. It was simply one thin wire coming out of the harness (I think yellow or white) that wasn't mentioned at all in the installation guide. I was a little misleading in the initial post, but now I remember that in order to get the AV input to work I had to touch that wire to one of the AV inputs in order to see anything on the screen. Since I'm not an expert with this, I don't know whether touching that cable grounds the device and why it works like that, I just discovered this by accident.
NIK23, no problem ... I'll check to see if I have a wire coming out of the harness that isn't connected to anything. Did you have to tape the wire to the video input jack?
Old 10-10-2004, 09:14 PM   #8
NIK23

Well, in my case I didn't have to tape the wire to the input jack since I was just testing it and didn't need a permanent solution. But it looked to me you could just insert the wire into the rca input jack and then connect the av inputs.