E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2004, 03:46 AM   #1
Cavalier2123

My Ride: 325i 2004
Send a message via AIM to Cavalier2123
XM radio: yay or nay?

I am a talk radio junkie, and the only station I could pick up just went out of business, so the time to get sat. radio is here. It seems that XM has more talk options than Sirius, but I am still not decided on which to use. The biggest problem I see is that I have a limited amount of console space to put this thing. From searching the forum, the Delphi SkyFi receiver is the best way to go, but where do you put this thing so that it is out of the way? Are there any recievers out there that won't clutter up my interior as much?
Cavalier2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:28 AM   #2
abefroman

My Ride: 2000 323i
I have the XM commander in the ashtray. If you do a search there is a post on how to install it. Can't help you as far as talk radio goes, but for music, I wish I would have gone with Sirius instead. XM seems to have a limited number of songs each station can play, and you'll hear the same song on multiple stations at once
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:50 AM   #3
low
OG e46fanatics lurker!

My Ride: is outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by abefroman
I have the XM commander in the ashtray. If you do a search there is a post on how to install it. Can't help you as far as talk radio goes, but for music, I wish I would have gone with Sirius instead. XM seems to have a limited number of songs each station can play, and you'll hear the same song on multiple stations at once
aww thats a bummer. i was hoping to get XM too. hmm..hows the sound quality on XM btw?

Pretty girls in bikinis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang1
no one ask you to click on it cry baby :cry: now I can see why Dougsun doesn't like you either.... sigh....
- I've been victimized with BOARD DRAMA!!! :lmao:
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 01:12 PM   #4
Cavalier2123

The XM commander looks interesting. Do you have any pics of it installed?
Old 10-11-2004, 01:56 PM   #5
abefroman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Here is a post with some pics of what it looks like (This isn't mine but looks the same)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=xm+ashtray
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #6
Cavalier2123

Wow looks great! I just got back from Circuit City and checked out the commander. I was thinking about getting it installed on the console pocket above the ashtray, but now I think the ashtray one looks nice. Getting it done tommorrow and will post pics if I get some...
Old 10-11-2004, 03:14 PM   #7
capinsac

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I just installed XM Direct in my ride last week and love it. Very easy install (if you're pre-wired for CD changer) and sound quality is excellent.

Plus...you can get Opie and Anthony!
capinsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:29 PM   #8
e36325i

My Ride: 1995 325i
When you had your xm instaled where did they mount the antenna. I have been interested in getting xm but I don't want any visable antenna on my car
e36325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 03:38 PM   #9
capinsac

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36325i
When you had your xm instaled where did they mount the antenna. I have been interested in getting xm but I don't want any visable antenna on my car
I put it on the rear deck behind the rear seats and I haven't had any reception problems. It even works in my parking garage at work!

Here's links to the install guides that helped me with the installation of the unit.
http://members.roadfly.org/patton03m3/xmDIY.html
http://www.my330i.com/mod34.php
capinsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2004, 12:14 AM   #10
Cavalier2123

hmm, very interesting to see the antenna mounted on the rear deck. It looks clean. Circuit City basically only gave me the option of mounting it on my hood just behind the rear window. It is small so I could possibly live with this, but I wonder if you can paint the antenna to match your car's color. Would it still get reception?