E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2004, 12:20 AM   #1
three2threeCi

My Ride: BMW
Kicker f6x9c replacement 6x9 sub for HK system

I recently bought a set of Kicker f6x9c's off ebay (used because they are discontinued) to replace my stock HK subs. When I put them in the bass doesnt hit hard at all. The speakers are working because I can see them moving with the music.... but they are really quiet....no matter how high i put the bass. I know this sub swap has been done before... any recommendations on what might be wrong? By the way I put my stocks back in and they are back to normal so the amp is still fine. Thanks in advance guys!!
three2threeCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:21 AM   #2
ca1242

My Ride: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by three2threeCi
I recently bought a set of Kicker f6x9c's off ebay (used because they are discontinued) to replace my stock HK subs. When I put them in the bass doesnt hit hard at all. The speakers are working because I can see them moving with the music.... but they are really quiet....no matter how high i put the bass. I know this sub swap has been done before... any recommendations on what might be wrong? By the way I put my stocks back in and they are back to normal so the amp is still fine. Thanks in advance guys!!
Is the impedance of the Kickers 4-ohms? The HK subs in my car had different impedances. One was 3-ohm and the other 2-ohm. So if your kickers are 4-ohms, they are probably getting slightly more than half the power the HKs were getting.

There is no free lunch. If you want decent bass, get an amplifier and some real subs.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:13 PM   #3
three2threeCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242
Is the impedance of the Kickers 4-ohms? The HK subs in my car had different impedances. One was 3-ohm and the other 2-ohm. So if your kickers are 4-ohms, they are probably getting slightly more than half the power the HKs were getting.

There is no free lunch. If you want decent bass, get an amplifier and some real subs.
Yea the kickers are 4 ohms. I wasnt expecting this to be much better, but I didnt expect it to be worse. If you search the forum a few other people have been successful with this. Hmmm
Old 10-13-2004, 11:50 PM   #4
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1242
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 12:16 AM   #5
three2threeCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Thanks for the worthless comment
Old 10-14-2004, 12:18 AM   #6
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Thanks for the worthless comment
Anytime.
bigjae1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 02:12 AM   #7
kwang125

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
1). you bought it used. you don't know if they are in proper working condition. maybe the previous owner abused it or pissed on it.
2). what is the internal volume of stock HK sub enclosure? what is the recommanded volume for Kicker ? maybe Kicker doesn't work well in HK sub enclosure.
3). are you supplying enough power to the Kicker sub? perhaps the Kicker sub need more power to really shine.
4). i suggest you sell the Kicker and get something else ...

good luck !
kwang125 is offline   Reply With Quote