E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 50 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-15-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
OEM Navigation retrofit guide

After researching for a little over a year the way of retrofitting the OEM Nav first to my 330i and now to my M3, luckily BMWAG came up in January of 2004 with a complete retrofit kit that includes a simplified harness that just plugs into the existing Audio/I Bus harness, the 16:9 display with CD player, the MKIV GPS receiver/DVD computer, the Professional radio (not Business), all brackets, bolts, connectors, plugs and installation manual for an all inclusive set.

For those that also have been researching a way of retrofitting Nav in their 3 Series you will inmediately notice how less complicated and time consuming this installation is compared to the old way of unplugging the current non-Nav harness from all its components and installing one built for a Nav car.

This is a simple guide of my installation, with tips to facilitate its reproduction in your car.

Disclaimer (copied verbatim from this DIY) :
Quote:
While I think this process is pretty easy, you need to read through the directions and evaluate it yourself to decide whether or not you can do it. The details presented here are believed to be correct but they are not not guaranteed to be correct. I am not responsible for any damage that you may do to your car or injury that happens to you as a result of following these directions. Proceed at your own risk.
Preliminary steps:

The very first thing that anybody should do before attempting to do this retrofit is to read and study the installation manual (thanks to Santiago for hosting this document). Once you familiarize well enough with the steps to follow you will get the best results in the least amount of time.

I did this installation by myself; if you can get some help from friends knowlegeable and careful enough, the time and effort will be greatly reduced. However, the main idea is to get a quality and reliable job performed, not to finish ASAP.

Disassembly:

Having the BMW TIS/ETK software and/or the Bentley manual for E46's, although not required, can further simplify the overall installation procedures. BMW TIS/ETK CD's can be bought for some $20.00 at Ebay.

At no time you should insert your key in the ignition during disassembly.

If your car have manual seats, disconnect the negative post of the battery before step 1 below. If your car have power seats, please follow the steps below:

1) Remove driver's seat. (TIS 52 13 000)

There are 4 bolts on each corner of the rails. You will need the battery power to move the seat back and forth to gain access to the bolts. Once unbolted, tilt the seat back to disconnect the main plug underneath.

2) Disconnect negative battery terminal from car chassis.

Once disconnected, cover it with electrical tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery terminal.JPG
Views:	17731
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	95395  
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.