E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
crazyro

My Ride: 328i
Send a message via AIM to crazyro
Looks or performance? Why did you buy a BMW?

I was to the point of buying a 323 or 325 (even though I wanted a 330 or 328) because, for the most part all E46s look the same (I know, I know... sedan vs coupe differences, pre- or lifted differences, etc.). I like the look of them. I had the chance of buying a convertible E36 M3 w/ very low miles for the same price, but didn't, because I cared more about the look than performance. That's just me. Now, with all that said, since I have what I wanted in terms of looks, some performance isssues will be taken care of. But not much.

There are many cars out there that are more powerful and cost the same. But they don't look like a Bimmer and don't handle like a Bimmer.

I was going to wait and get an E90 in a couple of years, but I really don't like them. I know that I'll get used to them, I know that the modded ones will look cool, but to me (again, personal preference), the E46 looks a lot nicer. It's more aggressive. I mean, come on, when a female co-worker of mine tells me that she wants the new E90 because it's cuter and more feminine... Again, I know modded ones will look good, but I am extremely happy with my Ms. Red. Who knows? She may just become my "classic" car I won't be able to part with. Then again...

So, why did you buy your BMW? Looks or performance? Or both? (I know it's similar to a thread that took place a while back)

I love my wife, my boys and my girls.
crazyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:58 AM   #2
jgrecbets

My Ride: e65 750i / e90 328xi
Send a message via AIM to jgrecbets
obviously looks..... its dosn't have speed so by process of elimination id hafta say looks
Old 11-27-2004, 11:00 AM   #3
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Looks and Performance

NOT power... If I was all into power I would have bought a new M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 11:01 AM   #4
mantis

My Ride: Orient Blue 323Ci
Looks and drivability.

I came from a Skyline GTR, so definately not performance.
mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 11:05 AM   #5
xxcosmicxx
The OG Black Roof

My Ride: Long Gone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantis
Looks and drivability.

I came from a Skyline GTR, so definately not performance.

Old 11-27-2004, 11:06 AM   #6
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
"...similar to a thread that took place a while back." Dude you like cloned a thread it's so similar. Here, check it out: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=87240

There's usually not a whole lot of action in the old Polls forum though.

I totally hear where you're coming from as far as looks go. The E46 is a pretty decent performing car, however if it looked like crap on a stick, then my car would still be at the dealership. On the opposite side of the coin, I couldn't see myself driving a car that looked good, but drove like a bread truck. I suppose I'm somewhere in the middle.

Gotta have good looks, and good numbers.

Last edited by russ330; 11-27-2004 at 11:08 AM.
russ330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 11:18 AM   #7
Griptruk

My Ride: 2001 E46 330Ci
[QUOTE=crazyro.... I like the look of them. I had the chance of buying a convertible E36 M3 w/ very low miles for the same price, but didn't, because I cared more about the look than performance. [/QUOTE]

Personally, I'd take an e36 M3 over a e46 sedan, so I don't know if it is about looks, i think it's also about what's newer to you as well.
Obviously, we may have a difference of opinion here, but I think an e36 M3 convertible is a hot looking car, especially compared to a sedan.

As far as MY choice, I fell in love with the e46 COUPE the first time I saw a picture of one. I have always been a BMW fan as long as i remember, and I autocrossed an E36 before, so performance IS important to me, but I still feel that the coupe is one of the best looking cars ever.

-Jer
Old 11-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #8
upscalebohemian

My Ride: 325i (2001)
Bought a 325i this year because seven years ago in San Francisco I started noticing the E36 around town and thinking what a stylish car it was and just the right size for parking in SF. Nothing else seemed just right.

I was still happy with my Alfa Romeo Spyder Veloce though and since I shortly moved to Colorado then to New York City I didn't need a new car much.

Then 9/11 happened, and as a result I was poor and miserable for the next 2 years, then moved back to California for a free house and a year of much needed calm. Then I went back to work and there's nothing around that pays for an hour so I had an hour commute each way, and still there's nothing I liked as much or turned my head to watch as the BMW on the road (not going to happen with the E90).

So I was STILL happy with my Alfa but after 15 years of great reliability it was starting to break down every four or five months (nothing major, but its days as a commuter car were clearly coming to an end).

I prefered the body style of the E36 but the interior of the E46, so I went with the E46 based on that.

After driving the 323, 325, 328, 330, I settled on the 325 for its combination of power when I want it and great gas mileage. The 323 was not an option because I wanted a power transmission (I expect to be living back in San Francisco with the hills in the not too distant future) and the 323's with power that I drove were sort of dogs (though the manuals were okay). I didn't really want the 328 or higher because I'd spent time driving a friend's and I was constantly watching the fuel needle drop at a miraculous rate and refilling the gas tank (and that's when gas was still relatively cheap).

So that left the 325, and I must say I'm very happy with the combo of good gas mileage and power when I need it thanks to the Steptronic -- love that thing. It's great fun.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:02 PM   #9
bender73
AREA 51

My Ride: VW Touareg
Send a message via AIM to bender73
both
bender73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 12:08 PM   #10
dogtorj

My Ride: About 23 minutes
Looks, performance....

and longevity. These cars SHOULD last, right? (Although, I am starting to wonder after having to replace the entire wiring harness under the hood 2 months ago at 60k, need to replace wheel bearings next week, and my windshield washer motor just went out today. Hmmm... Cold and flu season for the car, too.) Still love it, though.

dogtorj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 12:56 PM   #11
idoc330ci

My Ride: 2003 330ci
i bought my ride to help increase my chances of getting more tang

idoc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 01:13 PM   #12
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
Quote:
Originally Posted by upscalebohemian
I didn't really want the 328 or higher because I'd spent time driving a friend's and I was constantly watching the fuel needle drop at a miraculous rate and refilling the gas tank (and that's when gas was still relatively cheap).
Here's a weird tid bit of info for you, the 3.0L engine actually gets better mileage than the 2.5L engine.

From BMWUSA:
325i 330i
Fuel Economy City 20mpg 20mpg
Fuel Economy Highway 29mpg 30mpg

These are the stats with manual tranny though, maybe it's different with the automagic transmissions.

Edit: Format sucked.

Last edited by russ330; 11-27-2004 at 01:37 PM.
russ330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 01:07 PM   #13
upscalebohemian

My Ride: 325i (2001)
Yeah, I saw those numbers too before I bought. But my real world experience with both cars is nothing like that. I think the 328 also affected my driving habits so I was seeing what it could do a lot more than I do with my 325. I'm sure I'll get fewer tickets in a 325 than a 328/330 too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
Here's a weird tid bit of info for you, the 3.0L engine actually gets better mileage than the 2.5L engine.

From BMWUSA:
325i 330i
Fuel Economy City 20mpg 20mpg
Fuel Economy Highway 29mpg 30mpg

These are the stats with manual tranny though, maybe it's different with the automagic transmissions.

Edit: Format sucked.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:52 PM   #14
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoc330ci
i bought my ride to help increase my chances of getting more tang
Did it work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 03:55 PM   #15
Nico3k
The R1 makes it fun

My Ride: Yamaha R1 + 325i
both... stock it looks and performs weak, but it's all about what a car can become... not what it is the masterplan is to make it faster than an M3... and for the people who are in doubt... yes a 2.5L can be made to beat an M3 in every way without changing base internals
Old 12-01-2004, 02:26 PM   #16
K:^P

My Ride: 00 323//65 Fastback
Safety...back then very few cars had DSC, side and A-pillar airbags, and good crash test. But to your point; Performance, to that it's a nice everyday driving car.
K:^P is offline   Reply With Quote