E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 03:23 PM   #1
PoorGuyX3

My Ride: 2004 X3 2.5i
Send a message via AIM to PoorGuyX3
More volume from new HU

Ok,
I just installed my new Kenwood HU, KDC-X879, and I ordered it from Crutchfield. Install went fine and everything works. I just do not have much volume. I can turn the HU to max and the sound is quite loud, but I would think it could be much louder.

I installed this line out converter from the back of the HU to, I guess, bring down the line out level to input levels for the HK amp.

I have the line out converter gain control set to max as well.

What has anyone else done when installing a new HU?? Is there a way to up the level of the signal going to the HK amp?? The HU has RCA output jacks, is there any type of adapter that would allow me to use those outputs instead of running everything through that god awful line converter??

Thanks for the help guys.

My Rides -
2004 X3 2.5i
2005 330i ZHP
PoorGuyX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGuyX3
Ok,
I just installed my new Kenwood HU, KDC-X879, and I ordered it from Crutchfield. Install went fine and everything works. I just do not have much volume. I can turn the HU to max and the sound is quite loud, but I would think it could be much louder.

I installed this line out converter from the back of the HU to, I guess, bring down the line out level to input levels for the HK amp.

I have the line out converter gain control set to max as well.

What has anyone else done when installing a new HU?? Is there a way to up the level of the signal going to the HK amp?? The HU has RCA output jacks, is there any type of adapter that would allow me to use those outputs instead of running everything through that god awful line converter??

Thanks for the help guys.
OEM HK amplifiers inputs are differential/balanced level. You need a converter that specifically transform your high level output from the HU to the Differential/Balanced inputs of your amp... any line converter is not enough. Check the Peripheral SVEN4 line converter, it is for Diff/Bal inputs and outputs.
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
Jason@BavSound
Sponsor

My Ride: Cars/Trucks/Bikes
I usually get some RCA Cables, cut the ends off, and then solder them into the speaker level inputs on the aftermarket harness. This will give the OEM amplifier a cleaner signal.

I have seen this not work before as well, so if the volume is still too low, just go straight high level in to the OEM amplifier. This has worked well for us several times as well.

It's been five years or so since I have worked with a Kenwood, but I think they have an optional Volume Offset selector, which adjusts the output relevant to the numerical readout on the display.

Plus, I also think your Kenwood has low level Balanced Lines out, which should work very well with the HK stuff.

This should help you out!

Last edited by Jason@BavSound; 12-10-2004 at 03:47 PM.
Jason@BavSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@BavSound
I usually get some RCA Cables, cut the ends off, and then solder them into the speaker level inputs on the aftermarket harness. This will give the OEM amplifier a cleaner signal.

I have seen this not work before as well, so if the volume is still too low, just go straight high level in to the OEM amplifier. This has worked well for us several times as well.

It's been five years or so since I have worked with a Kenwood, but I think they have an optional Volume Offset selector, which adjusts the output relevant to the numerical readout on the display.

Plus, I also think your Kenwood has low level Balanced Lines out, which should work very well with the HK stuff.

This should help you out!
Although there is no direct reference to balanced lines output according to the Crutchfield site of the Kenwood Excelon KDC-X879, it does say that the preamp outs are 5 volts. So maybe it will fix the input problem straight from the radio preamp outputs... I would still use a SVEN4 just to be on the safe side, though...

Also, there is this HU feature:

Quote:
Speaker Settings: The Speaker Setting function tailors the System Q Sound Control settings according to the type of speakers in your vehicle. You may select a Speaker Setting of "SP OFF" (flat), "SP O.E.M." (for OEM factory speaker systems), "SP 6*9/6" (for systems with 6" and 6"x9" speakers), or "SP 5/4inch" (for systems with 4" and 5" speakers).
Old 12-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
PoorGuyX3

thanks for the feedback guys. I think I will just cut off the end of some RCA cables and splice them into the factory harness and bypass the converter all together. I was going to do that to begin with, but I wanted to see what this $30 converter, that crutchfiled claimed I had to purchase, would sound like.

I'll be sure to let you know my findings.

One more question... i'll be tackling the sat tuner this weekend. Any sugguestions on the easiest route to take with the cable that will run from the tuner to the sat reciever??

Thanks,
PoorGuy

My Rides -
2004 X3 2.5i
2005 330i ZHP
Old 12-10-2004, 09:40 PM   #6
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Not sure about the newer ones, but the earlier Excelon models that had the 5V outputs had an output resistance of 550 milliohms...which defeats the purpose of having a high voltage preamp. The Kenwoods had a high output resistance because of cheap components.

Maybe the newer ones are improved. And yes, I am bashing Kenwood...
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:29 PM   #7
PoorGuyX3

Well, I removed the line out converter and wired the aftermarket harness directly to the preamp outs of the new HU. Sound is cleaner, but still limited.

I've adjusted the volume offset on the HU to the max so that it will be as loud as possible.

so when you're turning up the HU, volumes markers 1 - 25 cannot even be heard. at 26, you can start to hear sound,but the HU maxes out at 35 and it's loud, but not as loud as I want.

I find myself turning the HU all the way to max all the time and it's just not enough.

Any other suggestions for beefing up the line in into the factory HK amp so I can get more volume??

My Rides -
2004 X3 2.5i
2005 330i ZHP
Old 12-12-2004, 06:13 AM   #8
Technic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorGuyX3
Well, I removed the line out converter and wired the aftermarket harness directly to the preamp outs of the new HU. Sound is cleaner, but still limited.

I've adjusted the volume offset on the HU to the max so that it will be as loud as possible.

so when you're turning up the HU, volumes markers 1 - 25 cannot even be heard. at 26, you can start to hear sound,but the HU maxes out at 35 and it's loud, but not as loud as I want.

I find myself turning the HU all the way to max all the time and it's just not enough.

Any other suggestions for beefing up the line in into the factory HK amp so I can get more volume??
Your HU preamp outputs are not balanced/differential level, thus the mismatch. You will need the SVEN4, which have adjustable input level and capable of handling balanced/differential inputs/outputs.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:09 PM   #9
Canuck328i

My Ride: 09 Altima Cpe
Take a look at an AudioControl line driver. It has both types of ins and outs and has a fair bit of boost at the outputs.

Mark
Canuck328i is offline   Reply With Quote