E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
L-I-B

My Ride: makes my day
how much for a decent system?

I know nothing about systems....but I would like somthing that sounds nice but doesn't have to rock the street or win contests...bout how much would this cost me? I could probably install it with help of people I know that have experience with it. Could I get a decent system for about 1500?
L-I-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2004, 11:28 AM   #2
PLAZAMAN

My Ride: FourPointEightEyeS
Yes, 1500 can get you somethng decent.

Hang around caraudio.com for a few weeks.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:20 PM   #3
L-I-B

sweet I'll check it out when I get time. what kind of components would you recommend off the top of your head? and...can I get a nice sounding system and keep the stock HU?
Old 12-10-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
wildpanda86

My Ride: 2001 325ci
I think I have finalized what I am gonna do with my system. If you saw my other posts you would see how indecisive I have been, but I think I have come to a good conclusion & will give you an idea for your system.

First of all I am gonna stick with the factory head unit, I already have an auxillary connected to my iPod (I may change this the the Dension one down the road though). Then
1) Corey Lista sub enclosure... goes over rear battery & holds ten or twelv e inch woofer... 1cf of volume $299 plus shipping. Seems better than autoacoustics enclosure which is .8cf & costs more because of shipping from England, Corey Lista is a private individual in Florida.
2) Image Dynamics IDQ 12 V2 dual 4ohm sub $170 or so at cardomain.com
3) I gots me an Eclipse premium 5 channel amp from the 50% off sale at Al and Ed's. 50wattsX4rms at 4ohm that can be bridged to 140x2 at 4ohm for the cabin speakers... 200 watt sub channel at 4ohm and 280 at 2ohm for the sub. $250 for the amp + install and tax (the catch) came out to be 350 for a $500 dollar amp
4) Either use all 4 channels on the amp to power Focal 165A's up front and Focal 165C's (coaxals) in the back, maybe you can find these together for less than $400 or bridge the 2 channels and get Focal 165K2P for the front only or Utopias if you can afford them & have nothing in the back... if the speakers stage good like this I will leave this setup alone, if not I will get some Focals for the back for rearfill & get a second cheaper 2 channel Eclipse amp to hide in the trunk.
5) optional is Audiocontrol EQS or EQL if you are gonna run just front components by itself.

comes out to be 1420 or so (I am just estimating the prices for everything) Plus you will need the wires & installation. I am gonna have my installer build a false floor to house the massive 5 channel amp & have the face sit flush with the floor covered by plexiglass behind the back seats. So figure install can be anything from nothing if you do it yourself to 500 to 600 dollars to install & tune the audiocontrol stuff.

I have to slowly piece it all together cause I am kind of a poor starviing med student...

wildpanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:03 PM   #5
L-I-B

thanks for the help....its a bit over my head tho haha. I almost just wanna drop it off somewhere and be like...make it sound good. But I can't really afford that
Old 12-10-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
wildpanda86

My Ride: 2001 325ci
That is why I am just gonna slowly accumilate everything. You can do this system without the Audiocontrol and it will sound pretty good still then you can either add the audiocontrol later or a new headunit. If you don't do a nice little amp install like what I am doing that will save you another couple hundred dollars. You can also choose the Focal Access or Polyglass line for the speakers and it will be cheaper or go with a completely different brand such as Diamond Audio. But for the price, the 165A and coax is par of the Access line and sounds great according to CarAudioand electronics magazine as they choose it as one of the products to get for 2004. Tweeter has a sale right now on the JLW3 ten inch for 99 dollars which will save you a little as well. You can save even more by finding any of these products online.

Or instead of the 5 channel amp, get a 2 or 1 channel amp for only sub and add that into the system, then do the rest as money is available.

And don't forget to take out the HK sub & skipass and optionally rear speakers for the bass to get through.

Lastly make sure the shop will tap the signal ahead of the factory amp if you are changing everything.
wildpanda86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:26 PM   #7
low
OG e46fanatics lurker!

My Ride: is outside
actually the stock system is sufficient enough if youre not very demanding..just add low end and you should be stylin

Pretty girls in bikinis...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang1
no one ask you to click on it cry baby :cry: now I can see why Dougsun doesn't like you either.... sigh....
- I've been victimized with BOARD DRAMA!!! :lmao:
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:50 PM   #8
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
You can save money by using a passive xover system.

Here is my suggestion using typical retail prices:

Alpine CDA-9825 $200
US Amps USA-400 $250
Diamond Audio M3 6" Components $130
Diamond Audio CM3 D4 12" Sub w/box $200
If rear fill is a must:
Diamon Audio M3 6" Coaxials $100

Est Installation: $200-$300
Under $1000 if you forgo new rear fill. Otherwise, I'd just use the factory speakers.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 03:33 PM   #9
Lay2Low

My Ride: Psshht Widebody; M3
Send a message via AIM to Lay2Low
Check out my system for sale...
Old 12-12-2004, 04:00 PM   #10
L-I-B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
You can save money by using a passive xover system.

Here is my suggestion using typical retail prices:

Alpine CDA-9825 $200
US Amps USA-400 $250
Diamond Audio M3 6" Components $130
Diamond Audio CM3 D4 12" Sub w/box $200
If rear fill is a must:
Diamon Audio M3 6" Coaxials $100

Est Installation: $200-$300
Under $1000 if you forgo new rear fill. Otherwise, I'd just use the factory speakers.

what's a passive crossover system?