E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
VMW Racing
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Racers, want to run some M68's, need advice...

I know these setups come staggered 7.5 and 8.5, but I was thinking of doing a piece together set of either all 7.5 or all 8.5 to run one tire for rotation (maybe some kuhmo MX's so I can run them on the street if I REALLY needed to for a day). What would you guys reccomend? I was considering the 7.5's all around since I know these will fit my KW coils without a 5mm spacer and cause less hassle, on the other hand if the 8.5's are worth the 5mm spacer effort in grip maybe I should go for those? Any advice on which one you guys would prefer and what size tires is appreciated. Also, anyone have a overwhelming reason why I should stick with the staggered setup on the track?

Cavan
VMW Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #2
Commander FAT
Network Analyst

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
What's wrong with the wheels on the ZHP?

By the way I autocross and do my track stuff with the stock M68 wheels and I have a blast.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
AndyZHP

My Ride: BMW
You can shave 10 lbs per wheel by switching from the ZHP wheels (25 lbs each) to a set of 17x8 SSR Comps (15 lbs each).

... and just in case you don't know what 10 lbs per wheel feels like... IT'S HUGE!! You'll have quicker acceleration, better braking and better handling.

Switching to a set of M68s is only going to save 2 or 3 lbs per wheels. IMO, if you're going to spend the money on a set of wheels, get something that will improve your times on the track.

... and yes, don't go staggered unless you enjoy massive amounts of understeer.
AndyZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:13 AM   #4
VMW Racing
Past Site Sponsor

The understeer is what I figured. I already had fikse fm10's which where 18 pounds per rim in 18 inch form, trust me I know about the difference! I would go with some comps if I could find them cheap enough, I am hoping to pick up a bunch of single m68's and just piece together a set over the winter. Stock zhp wheels are heavy and 17's are better for the track if you have stock brakes (better/cheaper tire combo's and better rotational mass ) So what do you think, the 7.5's or the 8.5's, or am I asking a stupid Q....

Cavan
Old 01-05-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
AndyZHP

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsycracing
The understeer is what I figured. I already had fikse fm10's which where 18 pounds per rim in 18 inch form, trust me I know about the difference! I would go with some comps if I could find them cheap enough, I am hoping to pick up a bunch of single m68's and just piece together a set over the winter. Stock zhp wheels are heavy and 17's are better for the track if you have stock brakes (better/cheaper tire combo's and better rotational mass ) So what do you think, the 7.5's or the 8.5's, or am I asking a stupid Q....

Cavan
I’d go with the 8.5” wheels all the way around with 245/40/17 tires. My 8.5” ZHP wheels with 255 wide tires will fit on the front of my car. It rubbed just a little on the strut under hard cornering, but nothing too bad. You could put 5mm or 10 mm spacers up front for extra clearance if you wanted to.
AndyZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:04 AM   #6
Spiral Prophet
Über-Geek

My Ride: '01 Topaz Blue 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Spiral  Prophet
I have a starggered SSR Comp rim setup.. but i run 255's all around.. makes it easy to fit.. and there is no real difference in tire fitment on the rim with the different widths.. works for me for clearance and no real problems..

oh and the light weight ssr's were definetly worth the money.. you can definetly feel the difference with the less rotational mass..

~T|/\/\
Spiral  Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:31 AM   #7
IDLOOK2

My Ride: 00' 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to IDLOOK2
I was considering the comps but decided to get the Kosei K1's this spring. I figured the price difference was more important than saving 1.5 per wheel. The K1's cost $199 per wheel and are 8.5" wide. Now I just have to decide whether to get 235 or 245 sized tires all around.

BTW, Id say go with 8.5 instead of 7.5 cause the added width will come in handy for the track.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:12 AM   #8
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Is it possible to run M68's 8.5" with 255's all around?
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 03:03 AM   #9
VMW Racing
Past Site Sponsor

Yes I think it is, I know you can run a 255 tire on a 8.5, but running it on the front of a E46 is hard. Andy and a few others have done it, but it is VERY close I hear.

Cavan