E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2002, 11:49 AM   #1
Emo

My Ride: 325i Steel Blue
Question Line Level Converter HELP!!

Can anyone describe exactly the problems associated with using a normal $15-30 Line level converter.

I've heard of problems due to the Balanced/unbalanced bmw inputs, but do not understand what would happen if I used a line level converter instead of $70 interfaces.

Could someone please explain.

Also I do understand you get what you pay for, but wonder will it work as a temp way to get alittle bass into my ride, until I can make up my mind on keeping/changing headunits.

Thanks in advance.
Emo

Last edited by Emo; 09-27-2002 at 11:51 AM.
Emo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-27-2002, 04:38 PM   #2
Emo

!!!Help!!!

Come On you ICE experts out there, Someone has to have the answer

Thanks
Emo
Old 09-27-2002, 05:32 PM   #3
MCD007
Im The Man

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to MCD007
Yes you will need to use a balanced differential line converter if you plan on tapping the signals coming from the stock headunit.

The signals coming from the headunit are driven at like 10-11V both live and ground to kill noise. So in order for these inputs to work on a standard amp you will need a converter that can handle these balanced signals.

Peripheral Vendetta series and PIE both make a converter and they cost about $25-$50 depending on what features and how many channels it has.
Old 09-27-2002, 07:56 PM   #4
Emo

Thanks MCD007,

Just one more question: What would exactly happen if i use a regular line converter vs. pie/peripheral converter? i.e ruined headunit,noise, etc..

Sorry for the silly questions but due to United Kingdom taxes a converter that wold cost me $25-50 at home in the states will run me $60-80 here. And I do not want to wait 2wks to have a converter shipped to me here to save that extra $$.

Just want a temp solution to get me by for a 1-2 months for me to try a find a way to get my steering wheel controls to work with my kenwood 917 and if I can not I will go with the PIE converter.

Thanks again
Emo
Old 09-28-2002, 12:56 AM   #5
MCD007
Im The Man

If you dont use the converter you will get noise in the system.
Old 10-02-2002, 08:13 AM   #6
rome5982

My Ride: 99 323i
I plan to use my line level signals straight to an aftermarket amplifier in order to upgrade my system. Are you saying that even though the after market amp can except speaker level inputs (as well as low level RCA), I still need to use differential line converters?

18"ASA AR1/H&R CupKit/ECIS CAI/Stromung Exhaust/Zimmerman Rotors/Aluminum Interior Trim & Face Gauges/G2 Calipers/Clear Corners/Autometer Gauges/Mtech Front Bumper/Chrome Grill/UUC Shift Knob/OEM Rear Spoiler/Painted Moldings/Silver Gauge Rings/JL Audio 12W3V2 & 6.5 Coax/BA 6.5 ProSeries/Kicker KX600.4
rome5982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 10:40 AM   #7
theJrod

My Ride: X5-sold, 330i, WRX
If your amp has speaker level inputs, you don't need any converters. Just plug it in.

If you want to tap into the signal between the head unit and the factory amp, then you need the special adapter for balanced inputs.

If you just have an amp with/out speaker level inputs, then you need a simple speaker-to-line level converter.
theJrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 10:48 AM   #8
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
...or you could just buy a real amp that accepts balanced inputs..

drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 11:07 AM   #9
advan24r
Banned

My Ride: 2002 LSB M3 6-spd
Send a message via ICQ to advan24r Send a message via AIM to advan24r
I bought the PAC OEM-2 (some universal adaptor that I bought at Crutchfield for $30.00) which supposedly helps convert the signal from the aftermarket stereo deck to the stock H/K amp. I hope I bought the right one since I didn't hear it mentioned in this thread.
advan24r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 11:37 AM   #10
theJrod

My Ride: X5-sold, 330i, WRX
Yes, that's the one I have. Works great.
theJrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2002, 02:36 PM   #11
rome5982

Ok, now I am confused. Sorry for my ignorance on this subject. Most after market amps allow for either low level (RCA inputs) or line level (aka speaker level) inputs. I am adding a subwoofer and an additional amp but plan on keeping my stock receiver and stock amp for the existing speakers. I was going to tap off of the line level signals upstream of the stock amplifier and route those to my new amp for the subwoofer. I did not plan on using the line level outputs of the stock amplifier because the signal has been filtered and amplified already. What should I do? If I add some after market component fronts in the future I will have the same question because I plan to keep my stock receiver. Please help, I thought I had this all figured out........................

18"ASA AR1/H&R CupKit/ECIS CAI/Stromung Exhaust/Zimmerman Rotors/Aluminum Interior Trim & Face Gauges/G2 Calipers/Clear Corners/Autometer Gauges/Mtech Front Bumper/Chrome Grill/UUC Shift Knob/OEM Rear Spoiler/Painted Moldings/Silver Gauge Rings/JL Audio 12W3V2 & 6.5 Coax/BA 6.5 ProSeries/Kicker KX600.4
Old 10-02-2002, 02:39 PM   #12
MCD007
Im The Man

If you are getting input before the signal hits the stock amp you will need a differential converter. I you tap it after it passes through the amp u do not.
Old 10-02-2002, 06:57 PM   #13
rome5982

OK. So if I get the signal after it goes through the stock amplifier then I dont need the converter, but, how does that amplified signal now effect the aftermarket amplifier input (since it is already amplified)? Is there anything I should be concerned with about that setup? Also, won't I be limiting the frequency content going to the new amplifier because the stock amp has already used crossover filtering on the respective channel?

Old 10-04-2002, 07:18 AM   #14
FOBGoober

My Ride: 325CI
Send a message via AIM to FOBGoober
depends on what you need..

if you go w/ Peripheral, the one part you need exactly is the Vendetta 4 if you are going to use a 4 channel amp or the vendetta 2 if you are going to only use a 2 channel..
FOBGoober is offline   Reply With Quote