E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2002, 01:12 PM   #1
K-DOG
P.I.M.P.

My Ride: 2002, 330i 5spd
Raced a WRX last night-VERY IMPRESSED!

Last night at around 12:30 i was coming back from my girlfriends house via 405 south.(this story is also a testement to my stupidity and inexpirience) It had rained that night, but wasn't raining anymore..roads were still very wet. There were zero cars on the highway...until i spot a silver WRX. Before this i have never raced one and i didn't know what to expect...i heard conflicting stories...like the run out of juice after 60mph...runnign quarter miles at 13.2 with just a boost controller. The guy was going speed limit, i was going 70ish. ( From the outside the only mods i can see is tint and exhaust...my mods are just cosmetics and a UUC silencer...i am still rolling on stock type 68's with conti touring sports)I slow down...downshift to 3rd...hit it in front of him...look behind me...nothing is happening he doesnt want to race. I put it back in 4th...look in the mirror...Suddenly he hit it hard! I dropped to 3rd...rev,drop clutch, and hit the gas...i did this in time to be a car length ahead of him. At around 95mph i'm close to redline , so i shift to 4th...look in mirror damn...he is only 1.5-2 cars behind me still. We are now going over 100 and we are on the part of 405 thats a couple of miles away from i-90...for non seattle people, this means there are A LOT of twisties. When we get to the twisties we are going 130+..I am near redline in 4th. The twisties come up...puddles all over...the wrx is STILL 1.5-2 cars behind me...not budging at all. THere was a hard corner, and we were going very fast, i had to take up two lanes for the turn. Now more and more corners are coming up...and I am going through them at insanse speeds...DSC light occasionaly switching on. At this point i am scared b/c i am doing all this in crappy road conditions...the WRX on the other hand is having little trouble keeping up. We get to a straightaway I go itno fifth...hit what would be my highest speed in this car...139mph. A twistiy comes up...i hit the brakes instinctively(now this is the part where your life flashes before your eyes and you realize you are STUPID) I suddenly remembered millions of horror stories of cars losing control when they hit the breaks on high speed cornering. I immediately felt my cars control feel strange...remebering all this i let go of the brakes, hit the gas and eased the corner. WRX is still behind me and not losing any ground. At this point i was scared shitless...my hands shaking from adrenaline...After this curve i am thinking that i am a moron to compete with a turbo charged rally car in crappy road conditions. 30 seconds later i shut it down from being so shaken up and realizing i am a moron...I expected a ***** fly by, the guy was REALLY cool. He slowed down to my speed, rolled down the window and gave me a salute, and took the next exit...i did the same thing but i don't think he saw...he was on my right. In retrospect i am a moron...but i hope this story helps someone...remember don't be stupid like me and race during crappy road conditions and don't BRAKE during corners...only before or after...my initial reaction almost caused me to crash my car I am sure. I am still very impressed with the WRX as it was able to keep up with me no problem...it did not run out of juice even close to 139. I thought at those speeds the 4wd would be a disadvantage but obviously it wasnt under these conditions. I have no idea if i would have been able to beat it by a larger margin on dry roads...but the guy was cool and a good driver, props.
PS. I am dumb
K-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.