E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-02-2005, 11:57 AM   #1
markusmark

My Ride: 2001330Ci
HVAC Fan Speed - Weird

Dang electronix. The HVAC fan seems to vary in speed regardless of the display on the HVAC control panel. This happens when the HVAC is in manual mode or in Auto mode. It will be fine for weeks and then - kabammm - it starts varying up and down from near zip to near max, all within a matter of seconds. I'm sure there's some $300 gizmo that the stealer would just love to sell me Any ideas??!!

Thanks!
markusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:13 AM   #2
krod328Ci

My Ride: 00 Steel Grey 328Ci
Sounds like the infamous final stage resistor. I just replaced mine this weekend. Climate control was "out" of control. Cost me about $60 delivered from Pacific BMW. Works like a champ now! Saved me about $300 from the stealer!
I wouldn't call the install simple, mainly because there is very little space to work with (passenger console side). You will need to remove the glove box and loosen another gizmo to gain access to the resistor. Oh, there is also an air duct in front of everything! Whole thing took me a couple hours because I managed to replace it by working around the air duct (instead of removing). I took some pics if you are interested.
krod328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
markusmark

K, cool! I'd be very inrerested in pix.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2005, 02:32 AM   #4
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User

My Ride: modded E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmark
K, cool! I'd be very inrerested in pix.

Thanks!
I would be very interested in getting these pictures too! please help!

my modded sedan
AMG EATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Steel Blue

My Ride: 2001 325i
Please post your pics, mine is starting to act up.

www.chicagoturmoil.com
Steel Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
Brucemax

My Ride: 2003 318i Executive
Pics of final stage resistor fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by krod328Ci
Sounds like the infamous final stage resistor. I just replaced mine this weekend. Climate control was "out" of control. Cost me about $60 delivered from Pacific BMW. Works like a champ now! Saved me about $300 from the stealer!
I wouldn't call the install simple, mainly because there is very little space to work with (passenger console side). You will need to remove the glove box and loosen another gizmo to gain access to the resistor. Oh, there is also an air duct in front of everything! Whole thing took me a couple hours because I managed to replace it by working around the air duct (instead of removing). I took some pics if you are interested.
Hi
I would also like to see these pics, cause mine is also nuts
Bruce
Brucemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #7
krod328Ci

Sorry for the delay...

Here is a quick DIY for replacing the final stage resistor on a 2000 328Ci.

First, I bought the new resistor from Pacific BMW for $62 including delivery (UPS).Loren Wong- Pacific BMW (E46 userID- USCTrojan4JC). You will also need a Torx screwdriver set.

Once you are ready to start, you will need to remove the 6 screws holding the glovebox. The glovebox should just slide down and out easily. Then disconnect all the light harnesses to remove it completely. Next, remove the remaining plate with floorboard light.

Looking into the console, you'll notice the duct in front of everything...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...hmentid=126345
Don't worry about the duct. It's flexible enough to work around (but TIGHT!).
You will be able to see the final stage resistor behind another component. There are two torx screws (T20 if I remember correctly) holding this component in place, remove the first one as shown (shown removed).
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...hmentid=126348
The second screw is accessible from above the component it is holding. You'll need to get to it from the top of the duct.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...hmentid=126346
Once the second screw is removed, dislodge the component, but don't remove it since there is a metal tube connecting it elsewhere. There should be enough room to unscrew and wiggle the final stage resistor out and disconnect it. Be careful not to break the free hanging component (I wish I knew what it was!). Replace it with the new resistor and test the climate control before re assembly.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...hmentid=126347
Reassembly can be a little tricky since some of the screws are in tight spots. I was lucky enough not to lose any in the console by magnetizing the screwdriver. I was careful, took my time on every step and spent about 2 hours beginning to end. Not bad for the savings!
Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Step1.JPG
Views:	29558
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	126345   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step3.JPG
Views:	24045
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	126346   Click image for larger version

Name:	New&Old.jpg
Views:	23177
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	126347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step#2.jpg
Views:	32416
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	126348  

Old 05-16-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User

Exclamation

Quote:
Here is a quick DIY for replacing the final stage resistor on a 2000 328Ci.

First, I bought the new resistor from Pacific BMW for $62 including delivery (UPS).Loren Wong- Pacific BMW (E46 userID- USCTrojan4JC). You will also need a Torx screwdriver set.

Once you are ready to start, you will need to remove the 6 screws holding the glovebox. The glovebox should just slide down and out easily. Then disconnect all the light harnesses to remove it completely. Next, remove the remaining plate with floorboard light.

Looking into the console, you'll notice the duct in front of everything...
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...hmentid=126345
Don't worry about the duct. It's flexible enough to work around (but TIGHT!).
You will be able to see the final stage resistor behind another component. There are two torx screws (T20 if I remember correctly) holding this component in place, remove the first one as shown (shown removed).
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...hmentid=126348
The second screw is accessible from above the component it is holding. You'll need to get to it from the top of the duct.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...hmentid=126346
Once the second screw is removed, dislodge the component, but don't remove it since there is a metal tube connecting it elsewhere. There should be enough room to unscrew and wiggle the final stage resistor out and disconnect it. Be careful not to break the free hanging component (I wish I knew what it was!). Replace it with the new resistor and test the climate control before re assembly.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...hmentid=126347
Reassembly can be a little tricky since some of the screws are in tight spots. I was lucky enough not to lose any in the console by magnetizing the screwdriver. I was careful, took my time on every step and spent about 2 hours beginning to end. Not bad for the savings!
Hope this helps!
when did you order that??

i was quoted today that price PLUS $15 UPS shipping -- they said all minimum orders for shipping is now $15 at PACIFIC BMW -- so total cost is $77.47

my modded sedan
Old 05-16-2005, 06:37 PM   #9
krod328Ci

Lucky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG EATER
when did you order that??

i was quoted today that price PLUS $15 UPS shipping -- they said all minimum orders for shipping is now $15 at PACIFIC BMW -- so total cost is $77.47
I bought it in mid April. My total invoice was $61.79. Maybe I just got lucky!
Old 05-16-2005, 07:42 PM   #10
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User

Quote:
I bought it in mid April. My total invoice was $61.79. Maybe I just got lucky!
thats lame, i think they raised their shipping cost recently! min. $15 on all ORDERS!

my modded sedan
Old 05-17-2005, 01:22 AM   #11
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Quote:
thats lame, i think they raised their shipping cost recently! min. $15 on all ORDERS!
I just bought one of these things today from my local BMW and it was AU$180

looks the same as the one in the bottom photo of the photo that shows the two.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:15 AM   #12
CortinaD

installed it tonight....well it certainly fixes the fan issues. cheers boyz
Old 05-17-2005, 12:27 PM   #13
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortinaD
installed it tonight....well it certainly fixes the fan issues. cheers boyz
how difficult was it? My bentley manual sure doesnt show much, only 2 pictures? My fan speed is now completely gone even if i crank it to full speed, it use to be erratic. Same as yours?

my modded sedan
Old 05-17-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
CortinaD

Quote:
how difficult was it? My bentley manual sure doesnt show much, only 2 pictures? My fan speed is now completely gone even if i crank it to full speed, it use to be erratic. Same as yours?
exactly the same symptoms man, my fan was perfect, then it would cycle high to low, then it seemed to never go high, then the other night it stoped working completely (might be unrelated but the outside & inside air also stoped working).

my car is an aussie car and took about 40 miuntes. i had to remove the shelf under the drivers side (which would be your glove box area) and then uncliped the stepper motor thing. i couldn't get it out without undoing the stepper motor housing but i could just get my hands in there to reach the screw and put it back in. Theres a gallery for the top screw in that housing thing and i found that a god send as it would be alot harder to get it in otherwise. i needed a thin T-20 torx screw driver to get the top screws as the steering colum was in the way and i didn't need to pull out the floor vent, only move it but like i said, australian delivered car.

it works a treat now, bulk impressed with the forums knowledge and glad something more serious wasn't ****ed as i was thinking it would be the cc unit or the blower itself.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:28 AM   #15
Steel Blue

I HAD the erratic AC speeds to the point where at times it would just shut off completely.

Went to the dealer lastnight, and now it is NO longer a problem. They replaced the final stage resistor and things are all good now.

"I'm as cool as the other side of the pillow."

www.chicagoturmoil.com
Old 05-19-2005, 02:56 PM   #16
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE46
I HAD the erratic AC speeds to the point where at times it would just shut off completely.

Went to the dealer lastnight, and now it is NO longer a problem. They replaced the final stage resistor and things are all good now.

"I'm as cool as the other side of the pillow."
nice! are you still under warranty?

my modded sedan
Old 05-26-2005, 12:05 AM   #17
xmltok

My Ride: 2014 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to xmltok
Thumbs down

I ordered one from Pacific this morning, $74.43 shipped in California (tax).
xmltok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:31 AM   #18
Steel Blue

Quote:
nice! are you still under warranty?
I am on the extended warranty.

www.chicagoturmoil.com
Old 06-20-2005, 08:14 AM   #19
Kyle325ci

My Ride: Bright Red 325ci
Send a message via AIM to Kyle325ci
This DIY is PERFECT. I'm certainly not the most technically inclined person in the world, but I replaced the FSR in less than an hour!

THANKS A LOT!!!
Kyle325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:38 AM   #20
markusmark

That's about what it took me. My problem was that my T20 torx driver was almost too short but I finally got it.

Thanks for all the help!!

Mark