E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Lighting & Mobile Electronics (I.C.E.)

Lighting & Mobile Electronics (I.C.E.)
Xenon lighting, HID kits, fog lights, BMW head units, navigation, speakers, subwoofers, In Car Electronics (I.C.E.), carputers, DDEs, angle eyes, halos, LED tail lights, interior lighting, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 05:04 PM   #1
m1r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 300
My Ride: 13 TL
what wires into converter? amp to factory system

I just bought a rockford punch RF2002 and i have a PG sub to hook up off my factory system. all of the DIYs I have seen are for replacing factory amp, but I still want that to remain- just want to add sub/ amp.

Im also looking for any good wiring diagrams...I got a converter from Best Buy that says "IEC LOC" the guy working said that is what i needed, hopefully it is sufficient.

pleae share any good links/ diagrams/ DIYs you mut have. any help appreciated!
__________________
m1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:55 PM   #2
m1r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 300
My Ride: 13 TL
__________________
m1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #3
ThisFlyGuy
OEM ///Member
 
ThisFlyGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SF bay area
Posts: 2,209
My Ride: A Car
i think just tap the line converter into your rear 6x9's and draw the power to your amp from there...........i think
__________________
ThisFlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 08:43 AM   #4
m1r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 300
My Ride: 13 TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisFlyGuy
i think just tap the line converter into your rear 6x9's and draw the power to your amp from there...........i think
I run power and ground regularly, and the remote from the rear speaker wiring (stock amp) I just dont know what to connect the other 5 wires on my converter to
__________________
m1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
VENDETTABMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: in a van down by the river
Posts: 719
My Ride: '78 datsun
i did it w/ my first e46....tap into rear spkrs for the converter to make the rca connections for amp...for the power and ground, you go off the battery w/ in line fuse...NOW so u dont run yr battery dead i tapped into my tail lights for the remote power on...u need to have yr driving / headlights on to have pwr to the amp...this is good as its just a switch of the headlight switch to turn on amp...if u want subs off to adjust rest of system, just turn off lights...wrked great for me! soo eaqsy to do and i suck at everything
VENDETTABMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #6
m1r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 300
My Ride: 13 TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by VENDETTABMW
i did it w/ my first e46....tap into rear spkrs for the converter to make the rca connections for amp...for the power and ground, you go off the battery w/ in line fuse...NOW so u dont run yr battery dead i tapped into my tail lights for the remote power on...u need to have yr driving / headlights on to have pwr to the amp...this is good as its just a switch of the headlight switch to turn on amp...if u want subs off to adjust rest of system, just turn off lights...wrked great for me! soo eaqsy to do and i suck at everything
Thanks! It sounds like the white wire at the stock amp is remote, I might just use that so I don't need to worry about headlights being on, but a good idea!

There are 6 wires coming out of my LOC, I assume 4 of them are for +/ - of each speaker but what are the other 2 for? It also sounds like for a LOC, I need to tap into the wires before the amp not after, or does it matter?

BTW I have non HK
__________________
m1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:36 PM   #7
m1r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: VA
Posts: 300
My Ride: 13 TL
Ok well here is what I have determined I need to do...maybe someone can speak up if they have any corrections to my plan.

LOC tapped in to wires before factory amp (where it unplugs) hooked up to +/-of each speaker leaving 2 extra brown wires which I will just cap off since I dont need them (ground wires I dont need), I think. LOC plugged into AMP via RCA.

Amp will be grounded/ powered as usual. Can someone confirm which is remote wire on harness by factory amp?

PLEASE chime in with any info, I am doing this today
__________________
m1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #8
VENDETTABMW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: in a van down by the river
Posts: 719
My Ride: '78 datsun
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1r
Ok well here is what I have determined I need to do...maybe someone can speak up if they have any corrections to my plan.

LOC tapped in to wires before factory amp (where it unplugs) hooked up to +/-of each speaker leaving 2 extra brown wires which I will just cap off since I dont need them (ground wires I dont need), I think. LOC plugged into AMP via RCA.

Amp will be grounded/ powered as usual. Can someone confirm which is remote wire on harness by factory amp?

PLEASE chime in with any info, I am doing this today
good luck..worst case just tap into the lights, mine was non-m...i like it as i could turn of sub w/ the flick of the switch during day driving to adjust rest of spkrs for different music and really manipulate it..
VENDETTABMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use