E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-04-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
nughaud

My Ride: '01 330CI / '11 335i
DIY - FUEL FILTER CHANGE (with photos)

Ok,

I tried to post this in here, but after I was finished, an error popped up saying, I have included too many images... although they are all hosted on my webpage. So I wrote it again and put it in HTML format. Some of the info was taken from another URL on this site which I have linked to. This has quite a few photos. This should help people out if there were any questions before.

Ray

http://bimmerinfo.com/diy/fuel-filter/

PDF copy in case host goes down - http://www.E46Fanatics.com/pdf/E46-B...ter-Change.pdf

Last edited by nughaud; 06-04-2005 at 11:27 PM.
nughaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:52 PM   #2
FLVK

My Ride: 2002 330CI Stl Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by nughaud
Ok,

I tried to post this in here, but after I was finished, an error popped up saying, I have included too many images... although they are all hosted on my webpage. So I wrote it again and put it in HTML format. Some of the info was taken from another URL on this site which I have linked to. This has quite a few photos. This should help people out if there were any questions before.

Ray

http://bimmerinfo.com/diy/fuel-filter/
very nice
FLVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

My Ride: E46
Send a message via MSN to Alex
Thank you sir!! Great write-up
Old 06-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Hey, Great write-up. However, I don't recall you asking me permission to use my FUEL FILTER TIPS though. Don't worry, I don't care. You did properly document your sorces and gave credit where credit is due.

Good job in taking those pictures.

PS. Newer e46 has the built in fuel regulator where as the older e46 doesn't. That is why mine write up and yours is a little off.
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 10:19 PM   #5
BMW4631

My Ride: Laguna Seca
When do i need to change my fuel filter, is there a symptom?
BMW4631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
ADA
Banned

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW4631
When do i need to change my fuel filter, is there a symptom?

I think the fuel filter is part of the INSPECTION II or III service which is 100,000 miles.

I changed my fuel filter at 66,000 miles after my car was sitting in storage for a year. The fuel was extremely dirty when I cracked it open.

There is no "performance" gain but I your car would definately thank you. Changing your fuel filter is extremely easy. Just a little messy that is all.

Good luck
ADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:50 AM   #7
markusmark

My Ride: 2001330Ci
Just changed mine this AM. Car has ~48K miles. Drained fule out of the filter and it was black!! I thinbk changing it every ~50K miles is good preventivive maintenance, esp since the fule pressure regulator is part of the filter, at least on later models.

BTW, yanking fuse 54 whilst the engine is runnign sure prevents spilling a lot of gas. And, before you go to restart the engine after putting fuse 54 back, turn the ignition to posit #2 a few time to allow the pump to get fule back in the lines. When you do start it the engine will run roughly for a about 20 seconds or so. It's just the air in the fueling being expelled at the injectors.
markusmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
nughaud

Mark the 2nd part was in the DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmark
Just changed mine this AM. Car has ~48K miles. Drained fule out of the filter and it was black!! I thinbk changing it every ~50K miles is good preventivive maintenance, esp since the fule pressure regulator is part of the filter, at least on later models.

BTW, yanking fuse 54 whilst the engine is runnign sure prevents spilling a lot of gas. And, before you go to restart the engine after putting fuse 54 back, turn the ignition to posit #2 a few time to allow the pump to get fule back in the lines. When you do start it the engine will run roughly for a about 20 seconds or so. It's just the air in the fueling being expelled at the injectors.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #9
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
Good write-up.
-Just for anyone out there that is wondering what happens.....
I Changed my filter a few weeks ago, but forgot about pre-charging the fuel lines before starting the engine. IT stalled once, then started the second time, but ran very poorly for about 45 seconds. Then the idle smoothed out a bit and I drove it around the block for a few minutes. It seemed like the car had lost about 75% of its power, and the check engine light came on. I drove around the block once more, and the car came back to life, the power came back, and the light went off.

All in all, it took about five minutes for the car to work properly again.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:11 AM   #10
EDawg

My Ride: :/
if one was wearing rubber gloves, does one still need to worry about grounding himself/herself to prevent static electricity??
EDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:39 PM   #11
TravsM3

My Ride: 05' 545i, ZSP
Awesome DIY
Old 06-13-2005, 12:27 AM   #12
Dinan3er

My Ride: 01 325i
It's always great to have pics!
Dinan3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:40 AM   #13
acitydweller

My Ride: e46 M3
definitely a maintenance requirement though i may not own my car long enough to see 100k

Laguna Seca Blue E46 M3
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #14
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

My Ride: E46
Send a message via MSN to Alex
Got this done over the 4th of July weekend and the car feel totally different, acceleration feel much smoother.

If you're planning on doing this, don't plan anymore, DO IT NOW, you won't regret it.
Old 10-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #15
r0x

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Bump. I did this job today. The DIY listed above is actually very good, but I thought I should add my own notes.

First, just leaving the shield to hang was awkward, but I couldn't figure out where the last attachment point was. I would up bending the shield out of the way.

Second, the hose-clamps on my car turned perfectly under a 5mm socket. I did not use a screwdriver.

Third, the hoses are REALLY stuck on there. Next time I do this job, I will just slice the hoses off with a razor, and replace them with new ones. It seems much easier to put the hoses on than to take them off. I did not have the 3-4 inches of play mentioned in the DIY. The part number for the hoses (3 needed) appears to be 13537788347, while the part number for the clamps (6 needed) appears to be 07129952104. Caveat: the small front hose appears to be a vaccuum hose (for 325/330 cars; the 323/328s do not have this). I wouldn't cut that; it pulled off easily with just hand-strength.

This job really sucked. I didn't enjoy it at all, and don't look forward to doing it again. I hope I've made this a little easier for the next guy.
r0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 04:09 PM   #16
nughaud

Hey thanks for the props, and yes it did suck. I like you couldn't easily remove the shield. I did bend it enough out of the way to get the work done.

Yes those hoses are on pretty good. I'm not sure if cutting them and replacing them would be any easier but it would sure be an option.

You should have had 3-4 inches of play. If you tug on the filter it should allow you to pull out the length in question. Otherwise you will not have that play. At first I thought... how the heck, then I pulled until it wouldn't budge and that's how I got the play in the line.

Yes I'm glad that this will probably only be done once, but at least it's doable.

If I get around to it, I'll update the DIY with the part numbers you listed. In case someone else wants to do it and the 5mm socket option. It's the weekend so who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0x
Bump. I did this job today. The DIY listed above is actually very good, but I thought I should add my own notes.

First, just leaving the shield to hang was awkward, but I couldn't figure out where the last attachment point was. I would up bending the shield out of the way.

Second, the hose-clamps on my car turned perfectly under a 5mm socket. I did not use a screwdriver.

Third, the hoses are REALLY stuck on there. Next time I do this job, I will just slice the hoses off with a razor, and replace them with new ones. It seems much easier to put the hoses on than to take them off. I did not have the 3-4 inches of play mentioned in the DIY. The part number for the hoses (3 needed) appears to be 13537788347, while the part number for the clamps (6 needed) appears to be 07129952104. Caveat: the small front hose appears to be a vaccuum hose (for 325/330 cars; the 323/328s do not have this). I wouldn't cut that; it pulled off easily with just hand-strength.

This job really sucked. I didn't enjoy it at all, and don't look forward to doing it again. I hope I've made this a little easier for the next guy.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:57 PM   #17
///Mechanic

My Ride: None currently
FWIW that particular fuel filter with the regulator built-in is good to 100,000 miles according to BMW. It is not supposed to be replaced during the ~60k Inspection 2 service.

If you feel like changing it for a piece of mind that is up to you, after all its a $100+ fuel filter.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:37 PM   #18
nughaud

My car has 100K miles and the filter was only $58 shipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mechanic
FWIW that particular fuel filter with the regulator built-in is good to 100,000 miles according to BMW. It is not supposed to be replaced during the ~60k Inspection 2 service.

If you feel like changing it for a piece of mind that is up to you, after all its a $100+ fuel filter.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:30 PM   #19
Romulus

My Ride: 330CI
Long time since this DIY, but I just finished the job myself... It took all but about 30 min.. I bent the shield out of the way and everything came out easily.

One thing, afte removing fuse, the car kept starting without problem, it would just die soon after... About a quart of gasoline came out which I had a drain container placed underneath, so very clean. I started with the back part, and just left the filter hanging to drain, took about 5 min.

At 52K miles (2001) fuel was very clean coming out, so unlike other people, it probably did not need changing... But I recently got the car, and when I first started it, it was like -5000 miles overdue for oil change etc... Today changed oil, oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter (changed cabin filter about 500 miles ago while installing BMW alarm... still need to activate that thing...)...

It was a good day...
Romulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 09:22 PM   #20
EIAlfonso

My Ride: 2011 535xi M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus
Long time since this DIY, but I just finished the job myself... It took all but about 30 min.. I bent the shield out of the way and everything came out easily.

One thing, afte removing fuse, the car kept starting without problem, it would just die soon after... About a quart of gasoline came out which I had a drain container placed underneath, so very clean. I started with the back part, and just left the filter hanging to drain, took about 5 min.

At 52K miles (2001) fuel was very clean coming out, so unlike other people, it probably did not need changing... But I recently got the car, and when I first started it, it was like -5000 miles overdue for oil change etc... Today changed oil, oil filter, air filter, and fuel filter (changed cabin filter about 500 miles ago while installing BMW alarm... still need to activate that thing...)...

It was a good day...
Congrats, you just saved over $200, this justifies some type of mod purchase