E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2002, 12:37 AM   #1
Zarlov

My Ride: 328i 5-spd.
Send a message via AIM to Zarlov
New BMW Owner (lots of ?s)

Hey guys,

I just got a '99 328i 5-spd. It's an awesome car. I actually just sold my '97 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo to get this car. I wish I could've kept both, but my new job requires a commute and I can't afford two $30k+ cars right now, and the Supra was not a commuter car. I modded it out a little too much and it sucked a lot of my money. But the good thing is, I can still have a little fun modding out my Bimmer.

So my question is, who online has good Bimmer parts and who are the major manufacturers for BMW aftermarket?? I was familiar with all the Supra stuff, but I don't believe that HKS or Greddy make a lot for Bimmers.

Also, what is this "Angel Eyes" thing? I see all the aftermarket "Demon Eyes" for sale for a couple hundred buck. It looks cool, but is it worth it? How do these things work? Do you use them with your headlights on or are they just for show during the day or night? Anyway, the look cool and I was thinking about getting them. My 328 has Xenons and it looks like it doesn't matter whether you have HIDs or not. I'm also looking at clear front markers and the like. Any particular style or brand to get (or stay away from)? I'll also be looking at an intake and exhaust, what brands?

From the Supra world, the term BPU (basic performance upgrades) is used to describe the best HP-gain mods to do to your car. Is there something like this in the Bimmer world? In the Supra world it means a down-pipe, cat-back exhaust, intake and boost controller.

Just trying to catch-up on the BMW lingo and stuff to do to these cars as I am ignorant for the time being. I bought a K&N air filter today because it was the only thing I knew of for a quick mod. I can honestly say I think I noticed a little power increase. Also, should I get BMW dealer oil filters or a good aftermarket like Mobile 1. I found out K&N doesn't make an oil filter for my car. Does Mobile 1? I'll be changing out the oil with Mobile 1 5W30 as soon as I figure out which filter to get.

Enough babbling for now, so many plans, so little time and money Any input is greatly appreciated.

-Zarlov

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2002, 12:38 AM   #2
Full Time Hit Man
Banned

My Ride: E46
Send a message via AIM to Full Time Hit Man
Welcome aboard.
Full Time Hit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 03:11 AM   #3
big bad jon
Secret Asian Man

My Ride: 2k2 Jet Black 325Ci
Welcome...
although i haven't done any mods yet... i've been researching for a pretty long time..
overall, it seems that the best "bang for the buck" as far as immediate upgrades goes would be the ECIS high flow intake combined together with the UUC TSE (Twin Silencer Exhaust) which will give you a good sound as well...
and also, upgrading your chip would probably be a good idea... hope that helps
Old 05-06-2002, 04:07 AM   #4
e46boy
call me kev :D

My Ride: '08 Lexus GS460
Send a message via AIM to e46boy
WELCOME

and this is called "angel eyes" aka "demon eyes"

Bye bye E46, hello new car :D
e46boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 07:07 AM   #5
jessica

My Ride: M3
Welcome aboard. I'm new here also. This guys and gals are a great source of information.
jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 07:16 AM   #6
Harvinator
Oaf

My Ride: 330 ci
Send a message via AIM to Harvinator
Welcome

I'll take question number 1...here's a partial list:

Tuners:
Hamann Motorsport
AC Schnitzer
Hartge
Alpina
Nowack
G-Power
Mutec
Racing Dynamics/RD Sport
Breyton
UUC Motorwerks
Active Autowerke
Autothority
European Supercharging Systems (ESS)
www.evosport.com
Samir from Technik Online/Rennsport also posts here

online retailers:
sales@e46fanatics.com (try them first :smile
www.tirerack.com
www.supremepowerparts.com
www.evosport.com
www.tuningwerks.com
www.bimmermods.com

That should keep you busy for a while
Old 05-06-2002, 08:12 AM   #7
B
OG Moderator Extraordinaire

My Ride: 325iX-M3-525iT-M5
Send a message via AIM to B
Quote:
Originally posted by Harvinator
That should keep you busy for a while

Hehe... wait until he starts having dreams about mods :tongue:
Old 05-06-2002, 08:32 AM   #8
cloud9-330ci

My Ride: Silver
welcome

:smile:
cloud9-330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2002, 11:43 AM   #9
Zarlov

My Ride: 328i 5-spd.
Send a message via AIM to Zarlov
First mods ordered!

I decided on the DDEs and a set of manual brushed aluminum pedals with the raised rubber strips. Now I'm looking for a good price on the clear turn signals and side marker set (the 6 peice). I just got through clay-barring and waxing the car with Zymol, damn what a chore. Oh well, she looks damn good. . .

Thanks for the input about brands. I'm starting to get a good idea of which are the top/most popular ones. Mods, mods, and more mods. . . . (Homer Simpson drooling sounds)

-Zarlov