E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-30-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
ArjunGFX

My Ride: BMW M3 (one day)
What is a decent "wash/wax" ratio?

I am going to be honest. I am one of those guys that doesn't care for my car's paint nearly as much as I should because I have so little free time, and while I like my car, I'm not tooo concerned with keeping it clean all the time, especially as I aspire to get a new car in the near future.

Anyway, I am sick of seeing my car so filthy all the time... in Boston the weather pretty much sucks so it's always dirty.

I take it to a really nice handwash place usually, and occassionally I will take it to a decent automatic wash when I am pressed for time and money.

I have only had the car detailed once in the three years I have owned it, simply because I don't have the time or money to have it detailed more often... I also don't have a driveway or any kind of setup or products to wash my car.

Anyway, I am thinking that maybe every weekend or two I will get it handwashed from now on. The place I go to is great... but how much washing is too much washing without waxing? I don't want my paint to get hurt.

So what would be a decent ratio if I am going to very rarely have the car waxed?

wash every weekend of the summer, with one full detail also? with two full details?

wash every other weekend of the summer, with a full detail?

So I know it's a strange question... but basically I don't want to ruin the nice black paint, but I want a clean shiny car with the minimum time devoted to waxing/detail
ArjunGFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Jet 163

My Ride: Automobile
Swirls start to show after about 2 washes for me.

I'm a professional detailer so my car gets waxed about 1/3 washes.

Good ratio: 5/1

Jordan
Old 05-30-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
adsmobilelex
Banned

My Ride: 01 Lexus IS Widebody
At ADS the price for a wash is the same for a wash wax and vac. 1 hr service while u wait. Our cars 05 slk 350, ) 04 350Z nissan and our demo car 01 is300 lexus is always wash n wax service. 100% .
adsmobilelex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:07 AM   #4
Jet 163

My Ride: Automobile
^huh?
Old 06-08-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
CGRIZZ516

My Ride: 2000 323ci
every time I wash it its probably overkill, yet I just convince myself that i need all the wax to protect the car during winter

My old man has his car washed every day at our parking garage. And then they Zaino it 3x a week.

ECIS Intake / Shark Injector / Stock Type 44's
CGRIZZ516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:52 PM   #6
Scott_H

My Ride: '03 320Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGRIZZ516
every time I wash it its probably overkill, yet I just convince myself that i need all the wax to protect the car during winter

My old man has his car washed every day at our parking garage. And then they Zaino it 3x a week.
Fark, what the hell does he drive?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
SilvaBimma

My Ride: 330Xi
What does this Zaino treatment entail? 3x a week seems alot of polish.
SilvaBimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
Carlman

My Ride: 2005 325i Stock
Zaino is the perfect solution for the obsessed. If you want to wax every time, Zaino is the answer. I am not a good customer for Zaino... and from the sounds of it neither are you....

I lived in Malden for about a year and I don't think I washed my car once during that time. I miss the Boston area. Anyway, when I did finally wash it, it looked great. I had used 'Duragloss' to wax before I moved up there. I've used it for the past several years with good luck. I wax my wife and I's cars about once every 3 to 6 months now, regardless of how much I wash them. For Boston, wax it once at the beginning of Summer and again in Fall and you should be good for the winter. Be sure to get the undercarriage sprayed/washed or otherwise cleaned at some point to get the salt off.

Best of luck,
C

P.S. Go Sox!
Carlman is offline   Reply With Quote