E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #41
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
If you don't have the time or motivation to spend an hour washing it yourself, then take it to a 100% hand wash carwash. Pick a place that is popular, that's been there a while, and has lots of nice cars running thru it.

Paying $12 bucks (plus $2 tip) and 20 minutes of my time (while I'm doing business waiting) is sometimes worth it to me. Plus, the car wash I go thru washes plenty of higher end BMWs, Mers, Porsches, Escalades, Hummers, L Rovers, etc. I think they can handle my entry level Bimmer with no problem.

BTW If you want to help reduce your carwash time (when you wash it yourself), buy a $45 electric Blower! This thing saves tons of drying time, especially drying out the little crevices that hold water, roof racks, wheels/tires, molding etc.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:04 AM   #42
THATS FRESH

My Ride: SSHNIPER
Send a message via AIM to THATS FRESH Send a message via Skype™ to THATS FRESH
just wash your own car. if it gets dirty wash it again. its like brushing your teeth. get in the habit of cleaning em. once in a while wax it (much like getting a check up where they polish your teeth)
Old 06-09-2005, 10:18 AM   #43
redronin

My Ride: 330ci
theres a car wash near me that is a drive through, no brushes or anything touches your car, 100% spray and they spray all kinds of colored foams at you. wash wax and undercarraige for 8 bucks. not bad

except since nothing touches your car it doesnt do **** for your wheels, gotta do em by hand
redronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #44
M3_Ryder

My Ride: 2003 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by redronin
theres a car wash near me that is a drive through, no brushes or anything touches your car, 100% spray and they spray all kinds of colored foams at you. wash wax and undercarraige for 8 bucks. not bad

except since nothing touches your car it doesnt do **** for your wheels, gotta do em by hand
Touchless doesn't make it any better. For one, not all the grime is being taken off the car. There has to be some sort of contact. Also \, the only reason a touchless can claim to work is because of the harsh soaps they use. That stuff will strip all wax away. So if you enjoy a half-assed wash and a car sans wax, go through touchless.
M3_Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:32 PM   #45
yayopwr

My Ride: yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Ryder
Touchless doesn't make it any better. For one, not all the grime is being taken off the car. There has to be some sort of contact. Also \, the only reason a touchless can claim to work is because of the harsh soaps they use. That stuff will strip all wax away. So if you enjoy a half-assed wash and a car sans wax, go through touchless.
alright i was being a wise ass with the comment
"There has to be some sort of contact."
but if ANYTHING is touching the car when it's dirty - such as a hand sponge, a brush, mitt, carwash rollers...theres going to be swirl marks no matter how you cut the cake-sorry to say
swirl marks are caused by the dirt moving around on whatever you're using to clean it....so if you wash your car yourself you're still going to have some sort of swirls just not as many
and yes he has a dark metallic blue sl and in the sun the swirls are next to none
again i'm not trying to offend anyone i'm simply typing the truth...
yayopwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:13 PM   #46
Makakio

My Ride: 03 325i sport
Ha!

I go to the carwash every other week. After vacuum, they use a high pressure lukewarm water/detergent mix to wet the car, get rid of big dirt, then the car gets foamed and massaged by slow-rotation brushes and long strips of what look like firehose before being spray-waxed and wind-buffeted. All in about 60 feet of workspace. THEN, it gets hand-dried and the interior gets wiped down. Total time takes about ten minutes. $8 w/ coupon (and they always give you a new coupon), but really more like $10 w/ tip.

I also get it clayed, hand-waxed and detailed twice a year, which costs $100 (with tip) here in CA. I drop it off in the morning and get it back int he afternoon.

No swirls, no scratches, no damage. The process took care of my jet-black MBZ for almost 7 years without a single swirl, chip, dent or haze. But I think it's great you guys spend two or more hours a week polishing away. And you do have amazing cars.

I've just got too much other stuff to do with this short life.

I say go get it washed at a quality place if you value your (free) time. As to "quality": look for a carwash that services a lot of high-end cars.

Understanding that you ARE handing your car over to mechanization, that reusing a percentage of water and materials is not just in the financial interest of the carwash but is also mandated in most cities, I doubt you'll be disappointed with the results. It's not like they're spraying compound slurries onto your car... And hey - you're being waaaaay friendlier to the environment than most home-washers.

The key to the carwash though is to go when your paint is cool. It's such a fast process that your paint doesn't really have time to cool before chemicals get applied to it (whereas at home you can kill a wetland by running cold water on your car for an hour before beginning).
Makakio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:09 PM   #47
Bailey228

My Ride: 99 323i Alpine White
Am I alone here???

Just read all the posts in this thread, and I'd like to know if I'm the only one...

I wash my car twice weekly, with touch up HP sprays in between if I've been on the highway... and I do it because I LOVE washing / polishing my car.

For me to take my car to someone else would be like depriving myself.

But that's just my $0.02

For what it's worth, my neighbours think I'm a freak.
(Freak / Fanatic, Toe-mate-tow / Ta-mat-o)

Glenn
Old 06-09-2005, 09:32 PM   #48
rsjean
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325i/328i/535is/Jeep
HP - High Pressure?

Just like the HP that you can use to clean cement, or siding?

Not on my paint....

gentle, gentle, soften and float off the dirt

lubricate the abrasives with a good soap (Zaino) and float them off, then rinse - gently

no water-blasting...

Dinan Software
Dinan Throttle Body
Dinan CAI
Dinan Front & Rear Braces
Bilstein Coilovers
Racing Dynamics Sway Bars
UUC Pulleys
UUC SSK/DSSR
AA Exhaust
Modified CDV
3.46 Rear End
Sparco Seat
Cross Drilled Rotors
Stoptech SS Brakelines
rsjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:24 PM   #49
Sebstyle

My Ride: 99 BMW 328i
I like washing my car 3 times a week... There is a bg horsepower incease if you do. Like 20-30 at the wheels.
Sebstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:27 PM   #50
Sebstyle

My Ride: 99 BMW 328i
oops.. increase.

By the way... I only use natural spring water.
Sebstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:28 AM   #51
yayopwr

My Ride: yeah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebstyle
oops.. increase.

By the way... I only use natural spring water.
stoops you're supposed to use imported san pellegrino water - come on man get with the program
yayopwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:02 AM   #52
Makakio

aaaaargh - I just bought a water DISTILLER for my garage!

RS: high pressure like the do-it-yourself carwashes offer. Veeeeery different than the high pressure washers used to strip paint/clean siding and sidewalks. About 1,000psi different.

No matter though - this is just a personal choice issue and I used to spend countless hours hand-washing and detailing my cars back in the day (even my old Bronco ). If you dig it - awesome.

If you're scared to go to a carwash and want opinions, my experience says going to a GOOD, QUALITY carwash won't mess your car up in the least.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:14 AM   #53
rsjean
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325i/328i/535is/Jeep
Yes and yes...

High pressure for cars is different - Yes.
Surface of you car very different than siding and cement - Yes also.

Bottom line - experts agree (read the many detailing threads, instructions, reccomendations etc.) pressure not good for car paint.

And yes, it is a personal choice. But what I know to be fact - I have a Jet Black car. Arguably the hardest to keep scratch and swirl free. It IS scratch and swirl free. I attribute this to No Commercial Car Washes. No Time Saving Equipment or Tools. Zaino. And Lots of Gentle Babying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makakio
aaaaargh - I just bought a water DISTILLER for my garage!

RS: high pressure like the do-it-yourself carwashes offer. Veeeeery different than the high pressure washers used to strip paint/clean siding and sidewalks. About 1,000psi different.

No matter though - this is just a personal choice issue and I used to spend countless hours hand-washing and detailing my cars back in the day (even my old Bronco ). If you dig it - awesome.

If you're scared to go to a carwash and want opinions, my experience says going to a GOOD, QUALITY carwash won't mess your car up in the least.

Dinan Software
Dinan Throttle Body
Dinan CAI
Dinan Front & Rear Braces
Bilstein Coilovers
Racing Dynamics Sway Bars
UUC Pulleys
UUC SSK/DSSR
AA Exhaust
Modified CDV
3.46 Rear End
Sparco Seat
Cross Drilled Rotors
Stoptech SS Brakelines
rsjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:17 PM   #54
Makakio

black

I succumbed to the 'once you go black you never go back to black' thing after the MBZ. Black is an AWESOME color for cars - I love it. But you're right RSJ: it takes WORK to keep it nice (your work or somebody else's). Out here in Cali it gets damn hot, too. And something is always in bloom and it's a dusty part of the country, so you can't go more than a day or two without dusting the car to get the pollen or dust off.

Okay, okay - I'm lazy. There. But I just went out to lunch, hit OSH for some caulk and got a carwash for $11. All in an hour. And my ride looks goooood for the next 10 days...