E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2002, 03:00 AM   #1
maynardc

My Ride: '03 M3 - 6-speed
Question need subwoofer advice (JL Stealthbox not enough!)

although the JL audio stealthbox provides very clean deep bass, it can't handle hard punching bass for ****! from low to med volumes it sounds very good, but when you really want to turn it up, it simply can't handle. for being 8" woofers though, it's the BEST 8" woofer I've ever heard...but I need something more!

I have a 5 channel amp and the subwoofer section has the following output options

290 watts RMS @ 2 ohms

OR

200 watt RMS @ 4 ohms

So, my question is "what is the best subwoofer setup to take full advantage of my amp's subwoofer section?" I assume that finding a subwoofer that will handle 290 watts @ 2 ohms will suffice, but I don't know which sub would be best. Is 2 low wattage subs better than 1 high wattage sub?

here's a few other things that I'd like to consider:

1. I'd prefer a subwoofer enclosure setup
2. I want to take up as little trunk space as possible.
3. money is not an issue...I want the best sounding sub that will allow my current amp to power it efficiently

any help would be really appreciated! thanks!
maynardc is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-20-2002, 06:49 PM   #2
visor

My Ride: 2002 330i
I have an (Image Dynamics) IDQ 10 in a sealed box that just smacks. I cross it over at 85Hz and it goes down to 25Hz, easily testing the rattle-prone areas of the car when I have bass heavy music on.

You can use two of them in parallel if you really want to be heard 2 blocks away.
visor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2002, 07:48 PM   #3
MCD007
Im The Man

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to MCD007
IDQ, JL W0 and diamond M3's are good for that type of power.
Old 10-20-2002, 10:50 PM   #4
maynardc

Quote:
Originally posted by visor
I have an (Image Dynamics) IDQ 10 in a sealed box that just smacks. I cross it over at 85Hz and it goes down to 25Hz, easily testing the rattle-prone areas of the car when I have bass heavy music on.

You can use two of them in parallel if you really want to be heard 2 blocks away.
is this an ID brand name sealed box? or did you just install the sub into a prefabricated box? please let me know. thanks.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:22 PM   #5
maynardc

a few more things: how do you get the bass to enter into the cabin area? did you have to make a port through the rear deck so that the bass enters the cabin area? i'm really new to this sort of stuff. thanks again for your assistance.
Old 10-20-2002, 11:52 PM   #6
Ron@Streeteffectz

Consider an Alumapro BP sub/enclosure. The sound reproduction from this sub is excellent. I'd personally go with the 10" (BP-10).

Ron@Streeteffectz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 12:55 AM   #7
visor

My Ride: 2002 330i
maynardc, glad to help...just as a lot of people helped me when I first started looking at audio stuff

sealed box: I got it custom made by a car audio professional. If you're looking at pre-fab make sure that it is made of 3/4 inch (not 1/2 inch) MDF board and that it is COMPLETELY sealed airtight. And lastly, the internal volume must be within the specs required by the sub you're looking at. All these three factors are VERY important for the best sound quality performance from the sub. But then, it is much easier to design and build a great sealed box than a ported one.

how do you get the bass to enter into the cabin area: Good question! Our car is really very well insulated! It took me some experimenting with a SPL meter and some help from peeps on boards like this. Because I didn't feel comfortable cutting up the rear deck and I didn't really need rear fill sound (don't have rear passengers often), I just removed the stock rear speakers... and that provided 2 huge ports for the sub into the cabin! Instantly, I measured a 4-6 dB gain in low frequencies! Plus, I also save money from not having to upgrade the rear speakers, so that money went towards much better and more expensive front speakers for the more important front stage.

Some people, however, prefer to retain the rear fill, so they have been able to knock out the plate in the back of the rear seat to port the cabin to the trunk. That is, if they have the rear armrest. Just do a search for it on this forum.

Last edited by visor; 10-21-2002 at 12:58 AM.
visor is offline   Reply With Quote