E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2002, 10:13 AM   #1
Killer Junior
Damn Drivin' Fool!

My Ride: Big Wheel
Alpine CDA-7998

When I finally get around to replacing my stock head unit, this is what I want.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-r6xNtTX...p?i=500CDA7998

What attracts me the most, besides the assload of cool features, is the that you can switch it the button illumination from green to amber to better match the dash lighting. Two quick questions, what is the device/adapter you can buy that allows you to retain the multifunction steering wheel controls? And has anyone seen this head unit anywhere cheaper? Tango Mike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l500cda7998-f.jpg
Views:	814
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	16012  

BMW is for pansy asses baby!
Killer Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-21-2002, 10:09 PM   #2
DamUTRIPPIN

My Ride: E60 530i
Send a message via AIM to DamUTRIPPIN
Almost ALL the Alpine head units made in the last 5 years (at least) have the ability to switch from amber/green illumination. That way the unit will match with most dashes, whether it be Japanese or German.

The device that allows you to retain your steering wheel radio controls is made by PAC I believe the model is the SWI-X.

Historically, Crutchfield has the HIGHEST prices on most electronics. Even retail chains, such as Circuit City, Best Buy, or Good Guys have better prices than Crutchfield. There's a guy on E-Bay that's got AWESOME prices on car audio equipment. I don't know if he's got the 7998 in stock, but I'm pretty sure he can get it to you for a dam good price. His E-Bay name is "AudioFever714". You can e-mail him at gsr543@cs.com for price and availability.
DamUTRIPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 10:31 AM   #3
Killer Junior
Damn Drivin' Fool!

My Ride: Big Wheel
Quote:
Originally posted by DamUTRIPPIN
Almost ALL the Alpine head units made in the last 5 years (at least) have the ability to switch from amber/green illumination. That way the unit will match with most dashes, whether it be Japanese or German.

The device that allows you to retain your steering wheel radio controls is made by PAC I believe the model is the SWI-X.

Historically, Crutchfield has the HIGHEST prices on most electronics. Even retail chains, such as Circuit City, Best Buy, or Good Guys have better prices than Crutchfield. There's a guy on E-Bay that's got AWESOME prices on car audio equipment. I don't know if he's got the 7998 in stock, but I'm pretty sure he can get it to you for a dam good price. His E-Bay name is "AudioFever714". You can e-mail him at gsr543@cs.com for price and availability.
Now you see? That's exactly why I come to this forum daily! I've been out of touch with the latest car audio trends for quite a while. Thanks for the info. I'll try and get in touch with dude and see if I can't score a good deal. Good lookin' out, cousin!

BMW is for pansy asses baby!
Killer Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2002, 10:46 AM   #4
Chris320d

My Ride: 320d M-Tech II
Send a message via ICQ to Chris320d
if you have more info, share it with us. I'm also plannint to buy hte alpine

old versus new
Chris320d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2002, 01:03 PM   #5
Chris320d

i just bought it hehe

old versus new
Old 09-23-2002, 05:54 PM   #6
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
that HU has no amp/ power in it.
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2002, 06:24 AM   #7
Chris320d

nope

old versus new
Old 10-21-2002, 01:12 PM   #8
LfeStylez

My Ride: '99 323i
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris320d
i just bought it hehe
i've installed stereos on mostly japanese cars, but never on a bmw...do you guys just install your aftermarket stereos yourselves? i wanna get the alpine 7894, but most places were charging me over $200 to install it! , i know i need a harness, kit, antenna adaptor...(anything else?), but i know it shouldn't cost that much. i was also told by some place that if you have the HK system you're not suppose to install alpines. can you guys do a D.I.Y. tutorial on this forum showing the wiring and all the parts needed? i'd appreciate it, thanx!
LfeStylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 10:23 PM   #9
whjeffs

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330Ci
Quote:

The only current Alpine models listed in their Summer 2002 brochure that have dual illumination (Green/Amber) buttons are the 7998, 7894, and 7996. I wish I could get the 7995 with amber buttons instead of the blue because the silver face of that model would look good with my titanium dash trim.

As for the steering wheel control, yes you are correct. I did find out something interesting though. If you look at Alpine's European website some of the head units that they sell over there have the ability to directly interface with our cars' steering wheel controls without the need for a remote eye to send the signals to the radio. There is a connector on the radio itself that plugs into an interface for your particualr vehicle (they have many applications). I wish we could get this also.

Jeff
04 Silver Gray 330Ci
Alpine ics-x7HD
a/d/s 346is
JL Audio 300/2
JL Audio 500/1
(2) Image Dynamics ID8V.3-D4
whjeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 12:16 AM   #10
DamUTRIPPIN

My Ride: E60 530i
Send a message via AIM to DamUTRIPPIN
Quote:
Originally posted by whjeffs

As for the steering wheel control, yes you are correct. I did find out something interesting though. If you look at Alpine's European website some of the head units that they sell over there have the ability to directly interface with our cars' steering wheel controls without the need for a remote eye to send the signals to the radio. There is a connector on the radio itself that plugs into an interface for your particualr vehicle (they have many applications). I wish we could get this also.
... So I am correct, right BOSS? I wanted to express my sincere appreciation for your approval, by the way.

And for your information, that Alpine adapter is only available in Europe, and there are members on this board who already have it. If you would have done a search, and/or have been around long enough to pay attention to the threads, you wouldn't be so surprised with your "discovery". But, I applaud you on your enthusiastic attempt to spread your knowledge of a subject you are ignorant about.

WAY TO GO BIG GUY!

IDIOT!

Last edited by DamUTRIPPIN; 10-23-2002 at 11:48 AM.
DamUTRIPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 03:58 PM   #11
phroder

My Ride: M3ZCP/2500HDLTZ
Thumbs Up good choice!

Good choice on a head unit. I went from an Eclipse 8v deck to the 7998. Lots of cool features and looks great. The amber lights match perfectly at night. Here's mine
phroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 06:16 PM   #12
Ron@Streeteffectz

What are you guys payin' for this unit if I may ask?
Ron@Streeteffectz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 06:52 PM   #13
phroder

My Ride: M3ZCP/2500HDLTZ
I paid $605.00 plus shipping off ebay. Much better than Crutchfield
phroder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 09:14 PM   #14
whjeffs

My Ride: 04 Silver Gray 330Ci
Quote:

... So I am correct, right BOSS? I wanted to express my sincere appreciation for your approval, by the way.

And for your information, that Alpine adapter is only available in Europe, and there are members on this board who already have it. If you would have done a search, and/or have been around long enough to pay attention to the threads, you wouldn't be so surprised with your "discovery". But, I applaud you on your enthusiastic attempt to spread your knowledge of a subject you are ignorant about.

WAY TO GO BIG GUY!

IDIOT!
Better to spread correct info twice than wrong info at all!

Thanks for the slam. I really feel welcome now.

Jeff
04 Silver Gray 330Ci
Alpine ics-x7HD
a/d/s 346is
JL Audio 300/2
JL Audio 500/1
(2) Image Dynamics ID8V.3-D4
whjeffs is offline   Reply With Quote