E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2002, 03:01 PM   #1
HrdCorNJ

My Ride: 325xi
Sub and rear speakers

I was wondering if you take out your back speakers so the base can come up into the cabin how much of an effect would the lost of the two back speakers have. Would it sound better with the extra base or the rear speakers?

Last edited by HrdCorNJ; 10-22-2002 at 03:09 PM.
HrdCorNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:14 PM   #2
boynix

My Ride: 12 Volvo S60
i left mine so that the back original subs are actually doing more of a midbass. HU bass level around mid while the new subs are kicking in the low bass. sounds good this way in my opinion
boynix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 03:32 PM   #3
HrdCorNJ

Mine sound great i have 2 12" MTX subs 400 total watts. It sounds great but when i open the trunk im smacked in the face with some really serious bass. i am trying to find a way to get a little bit more of that bass into the cabin.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:06 PM   #4
HrdCorNJ

also does setting up a false back wall in the trunk block some of the bass and what should i make it out of.
Old 10-24-2002, 01:56 AM   #5
visor

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
HrdCorNJ wrote on 10-23-2002 06:44 PM:
you said you should remove the rear speakers to get better sound i was debating that. What about the sound from the rear speakers. dont the subs only handle the really low frequency's. I would think you would need the back speakers to take care of the sort of low frequencies. Im really confused i cant get a strait answer. Did you do this, how does it sound?
the loss of mid and bass from the rears will be easily made up by the front speakers.

i only removed the rear speakers to allow the really low frequencies (20-90Hz) from the sub enclosure in the trunk to travel into the cabin. (btw, only frequencies lower than around 90Hz can travel like this, higher frequencies have a "directionality" to them that prevents them from doing this). i didn't want to cut the rear deck at all. hence, i gave up a bit of the rear fill sound (the rear speakers) and sacrificed it in order to gain really loud and low frequencies from the sub in the trunk. it was worth it for me, since i rarely have rear passengers to appreciate the rear fill.

by doing this, i gained about 3-5dB more really low bass in the cabin as measured by a spl meter. this may not seem much, but each 3 dB increase represents/requires a doubling of amplifier power.

Last edited by visor; 10-24-2002 at 02:00 AM.
visor is offline   Reply With Quote