E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2004, 01:12 AM   #1
m002

My Ride: Mmmmm
Fog light lens

I have a lot of stone chip on my fog light lens. Does anybody know how to get it clear again.
I took a bad advice from somebody by using a fine steel wool to take the roughness off. It got worse and dull now

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:51 AM   #2
beluv

My Ride: '01 325i
Hard to believe this hasn't been answered in over a year. I just did this to my headlight lenses, but the fog light lenses are made of the same material so the same method will work for both. Actually, I have the rectangular style fog light lenses. I've never handled the round ones in person so I don't know exactly what they are like.

First take the fog light out and remove the bulb from the lens. Your owners manual will tell you how to do that. It'll be much easier than try to do this while it's on your car.

Start with medium grit sandpaper. I used 600 grit. You might be able to use something more coarse. Sand the lens until there are no more pits. As you sand the surface of the lens will become an opaque whiteish color. This is normal. Make sure this opaque whiteish color is pretty uniform across the whole lens before you move on to the next step.

Next, wet sand with 1200 grit wet/dry sand paper. After you've gone over the whole surface a few times with that do the same thing with 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper. Keeping the surface wet while you sand is important to getting it as smooth as possible. After this the lens still won't be perfectly clear but it will start looking better.

Finally to get the lens perfectly clear and like new, polish with a plastic polish like Meguiars PlasticX or something similar. It's a long process but it's worth it.
beluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:08 AM   #3
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by beluv
Hard to believe this hasn't been answered in over a year. I just did this to my headlight lenses, but the fog light lenses are made of the same material so the same method will work for both. Actually, I have the rectangular style fog light lenses. I've never handled the round ones in person so I don't know exactly what they are like.

First take the fog light out and remove the bulb from the lens. Your owners manual will tell you how to do that. It'll be much easier than try to do this while it's on your car.

Start with medium grit sandpaper. I used 600 grit. You might be able to use something more coarse. Sand the lens until there are no more pits. As you sand the surface of the lens will become an opaque whiteish color. This is normal. Make sure this opaque whiteish color is pretty uniform across the whole lens before you move on to the next step.

Next, wet sand with 1200 grit wet/dry sand paper. After you've gone over the whole surface a few times with that do the same thing with 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper. Keeping the surface wet while you sand is important to getting it as smooth as possible. After this the lens still won't be perfectly clear but it will start looking better.

Finally to get the lens perfectly clear and like new, polish with a plastic polish like Meguiars PlasticX or something similar. It's a long process but it's worth it.
Great post, that is the same steps that I'd suggest. You may not have to start as aggressive as 600 grit. Your headlights will come out great

George

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:18 PM   #4
m002

My Ride: Mmmmm
Thanks guys.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
TeamStealthAuto
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Cobra, future M3
Beluv... great write-up.
TeamStealthAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
Turo329

My Ride: 328ci
Bavarian Autosport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamStealthAuto
Beluv... great write-up.
Bavarian Autosport has a product for this. I have not used it but its worth checking it out.

www.bavauto.com
Turo329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
CNi2i

My Ride: '09 335i
Great advice. I am going to try this tomorrow.
CNi2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
Navydoc

My Ride: 03 jet blk SMG ///M3
Did you guys actually try this? Does it work on GLASS fog light lenses? The
E46 Fogs have glass lenses I think...
Navydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 05:06 PM   #9
01topaz330ci

My Ride: S/C ///M3...01 330ci
no e46 have plastic, e36 had glass .. i did it to my fogs, my friends gti, came out great!
01topaz330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:49 AM   #10
rylee44

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
Don't mean to bring this thread back from the dead, but I did the same thing this weekend but started with 400 grit, then 600, then 1200, then plastic polish (Scratch x)... They are like new again (YAY!!!) Definately recommended to get rid of the tarnished yellow lense look. Now I want HID fogs!!! Or CCFL's for the Fogs?
rylee44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:11 PM   #11
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01topaz330ci View Post
no e46 have plastic, e36 had glass .. i did it to my fogs, my friends gti, came out great!
can anyone answer this cause I'm curious. My fog lights definitely feel like glass. They have a lot of chips in them and they don't look as clear as my headlights. Can I use this technique to clean them also.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:13 PM   #12
Bimmer33084

My Ride: sold
im not sure about the coupe but i know the m3's are glass.
Bimmer33084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #13
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
i think it depends on what kind of fog light you have. I think the round ones ARE glass though. and the rectangular ones are plastic.

dont quote me though.
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:25 PM   #14
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Thanks I have the round ones. If they are glass, they are a beeyatch to clean.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:35 PM   #15
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
im too scared to try that, im afraid ill ruin em

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 10:03 PM   #16
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
why? worse comes to worse you buy new ones for $100
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
das boots

My Ride: '90 M3 & '05 ZHP
Reviving this long dead thread. As our E46s age, so goes our fog lights. I have now replaced my lamps to DEPO. DEPO lens are plastic. And they are not like the real lamps. So now, I have to go back and retrieve my original lamps. I have been dwelling on this a long time before I replace to DEPO. How to polish road rash/chips for the the round/oblong fog lamps. Yes, they are glass for the ZHPs. Don't know about M3s.

Thanks for the thread. Time to get the various grits of wet/dry sandpapers.

Lawrence
BMW CCA San Diego Chapter #192742

'89 M Technic II Coupe Track Car - RIP
'90 M3 - Garage Queen
'91 M Technic II Cabriolet 5 Spd - #2 Son's DD
'92 525i 5 Spd - Sold but not forgotten
'03 530i 5 Spd - S.O.'s DD
'05 330 ZHP 6 Spd - My DD
'09 328i 2 Dr Step - #1 Son's DD
das boots is offline   Reply With Quote