E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-26-2005, 10:17 PM   #1
tjkane

My Ride: 02 325ci Sport pkg
Plus 1 wheel size/fitment question on E46 coupe w/Sport Package

I am looking to go from the stock 17" Sport Pkg. wheels that came on my 02 325ci Coupe to 18" aftermarket wheels and I have some questions about fitment. I want them to fit nicely without any modding, fender rolling, etc. Is this doable? Exactly what size and width wheel should I go with? Are front and rear wheels the same width on the ci-sport pkg? What kind of effect, if any, will this have on the way my car handles? I kind of like these Privat Kraftwerk wheels:
http://www.festivegarage.com/store/p...roducts_id=108
Will they fit good? -What do you guys think of them? Anyone out there have pix of these on an E46 coupe? -Any recommendations on where I can get them cheap? Any recommendations on decent affordable tires to go with them? I am a new to this kind of stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated. -Thanks.
tjkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
tjkane

Question

P.S. How/why exactly would one go about rolling back the fenders? I have heard the term used a lot when talking about up-sizing wheels, but I never really knew what it meant.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:25 PM   #3
therealm3

My Ride: 01 325, 89 M3, 05 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkane
I am looking to go from the stock 17" Sport Pkg. wheels that came on my 02 325ci Coupe to 18" aftermarket wheels and I have some questions about fitment. I want them to fit nicely without any modding, fender rolling, etc. Is this doable? Exactly what size and width wheel should I go with? Are front and rear wheels the same width on the ci-sport pkg? What kind of effect, if any, will this have on the way my car handles? I kind of like these Privat Kraftwerk wheels:
http://www.festivegarage.com/store/p...roducts_id=108
Will they fit good? -What do you guys think of them? Anyone out there have pix of these on an E46 coupe? -Any recommendations on where I can get them cheap? Any recommendations on decent affordable tires to go with them? I am a new to this kind of stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated. -Thanks.

you want 18x8 or 18x8.5 with 225/40/18 tires. I prefer non staggered set-ups because you can rotate the tires, and they don't add more understeer to the car. the wheels in the link you posted will not work. the bolt pattern for BMW's is 5x120 not 5x114. offset should be in the 35-40 range. Tirerack is probably your best bet. they take the guesswork out of fitment issues and the upgrade garage lets you see a picture of the wheels on your car. For tires, Yokohama ES 100's are pretty cheap and work well. Kuhmo has cheap tires too, but I am not impressed with them.

Personally people who skimp on the quality of tires they buy bother me. Tires are the only part of the car that touches the ground. The difference between a cheap tire and a good tire can mean you not stopping in time before hitting the neighbor's dog or kid, or safely making it through a rainstorm. Plus good tires make the car handle and drive much better. Honestly they can improve the car much more than expensive suspension or fancy brake kits.
therealm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 09:01 AM   #4
tjkane

Thanks for the reply. I didn't even stop to think about bolt patterns, so it is a good thing that I put this question out there before making any impulse buys.

You also recommended against staggering. -Do you know if the factory sport wheels are staggered on the coupes? -You also mentioned the cons of staggering, are there any pros to it?
Old 07-27-2005, 09:22 PM   #5
therealm3

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I didn't even stop to think about bolt patterns, so it is a good thing that I put this question out there before making any impulse buys.

You also recommended against staggering. -Do you know if the factory sport wheels are staggered on the coupes? -You also mentioned the cons of staggering, are there any pros to it?
some sport package cars have staggered tire sizes. 225 up front, 245 in the rear. Honestly the pros are subjective. Some people think it looks cool. BMW does it to make the car under-steer so dumb ass Americans who think they can drive but can't, won't crash their cars. Look what happened to the e36 M3. one year of a neutral handling car with even tire size front to rear (235's). Then people start crashing them, blaming BMW for bad handling and presto we get 225 fronts and 245 rears the following year with slightly different shock and spring rates. If you read the article in Bimmer last issue about the 330 performance package TC Klein talks about putting even sized wheels and tires on the car and how it made it handle awesome. So for someone like me who can appreciate a car that is neutral and likes to prolong tire life, unstaggered is the way to go. But if you want the huge lip and fat rear tires then by all means go for 245 or 255s with a 9 wheel.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:05 AM   #6
tjkane

What do you mean by a HUGE LIP if you stagger the rear? I just want to go with whatever the more common and recommended configuration is. If my current OEMs ares are staggered, I would probably stick with that, but if not, then I wouldn't.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:36 AM   #7
tjkane

This website has those same wheels 8.5x18" 5x120 bolt pattern with an ET35 offset (not that I know what offset means). So you think I could put these on all four wheels without any fitment issues?

http://www.autotoyaz.com/prkrcuwh1.html

Thanks again for your help. I think I am going to try those Yokohama tires you recommended. Any potential problems with getting the tires from tire rack and the wheels from another vendor?
Old 07-28-2005, 07:22 PM   #8
therealm3

Quote:
This website has those same wheels 8.5x18" 5x120 bolt pattern with an ET35 offset (not that I know what offset means). So you think I could put these on all four wheels without any fitment issues?

http://www.autotoyaz.com/prkrcuwh1.html

Thanks again for your help. I think I am going to try those Yokohama tires you recommended. Any potential problems with getting the tires from tire rack and the wheels from another vendor?
18x8.5 5x120 with a 35mm offset is pretty much spot on for an E46. I'd go with 225/40/18 or 235/40/18 all the way around. No problem with ordering from tirerack and then getting them installed elsewhere. They have a list of recommended installers. Do a bit of research first though. When I got the last set of yokohama tires from tirerack and had them installed, the shop said they could have done it for cheaper if I bought them from him. I guess tire places now are catching on to tirerack and charging more to install tires you bring in. Regarding those wheels, Just be careful of heavy wheels. they kill performance and gas mileage. But if these things are not an issue then get what ever looks best to you.