E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Classifieds > For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy > Complete Cars

Complete Cars
List your BMW or other cars, trucks or vehicles for sale.

Don't forget to search for deals on craigslist and eBay Motors

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2005, 03:32 AM   #1
fbones

My Ride: '04 Jet Black M3
FS: 2002 Blue M3 6SPD NAVI PDC XENON 35K Mile Salvage. CALIFORNIA CAR(Testing Water)

Year 2002 //M3
Exterior Blue
Interior Black

It has:
OEM Navigation (tape player)
OEM 6-Disc CD Changer
Parking Distance Control
Xenon Lights
Memory Seats

Has 35,000 original miles. The exterior and interior are all very clean.
The registration is good until 04/2006. I have the title in hand. No lien.

The bad:
It has a salvage title due to mechanical problem.
I took off the guard/tray underneath the car and found
two small holes in the block near the oil pan. It seems to me that
either the piston or rod caused this. It looks like it needs a shortblock.

I tested all the electrical (CD/Tape/Navi/PDC All powered options and lights) and they all work fine. The only problem is the engine block.

It maybe a recall issue but with salvage title cars, I'm not sure
if dealer will cover this. I doubt it though.

A shortblock replacement is going to run you couple thousand dollars.
(Or you can do a tear down and rebuild this existing engine)
If you know where to find a M3 shortblock for cheap, then you can save $$ !
and if you can do the labor yourself, then you can even save $$ a lot more!!

At this moment, I'm considering selling the car as-is. I might just fix it if I don't get a buyer. I don't know what price I want yet but please throw me your best offer. Please, no lowballers, no making payments, no trades.

my email is f12ank622@sbcglobal.net or you can PM me on this forum.

Thanks..
fbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:34 AM   #2
fbones

Here's a pic of the car

Old 08-07-2005, 03:36 AM   #3
fbones

A pic of the engine bay:

Old 08-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #4
Amir

My Ride: shoes
throw out a ballpark price.....
Amir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
fbones

KBB blue book (private party) is still very close to $40K with the options this car have.

I guess I can ask for $20K. Remember it would only cost you a few thousand to fix this car if you have the resources.

I see many 02s salvage still going for high 20s to low 30s. So let say you fix this car for 5. $25K for a 02 M3 isn't bad
Old 08-07-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
bmw3series
Banned

My Ride: ///M trizzle
dude your crazy if u want 20k for this car. First things first engine needs 2 be replaced, i dont know whoi would want to fix the engine with two holes on it. You can find out for about 7k plus 2k installation equals 9k. besides u can find clean title 02 m3s these days for 32-33k. Give me a good price im local and youve have a nice cashiers check with u within the hour.
bmw3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
fbones

If you think 20K is crazy, then you don't have to buy. I'm not forcing people to buy the car. I might just fix it and keep the car.

$7K for an engine is a little bit over estimated. I called up a few BMW yards locally and one has a 2005 engine with less than 5000 miles for $6200 with 2-year unlimited mileage warranty. The other one wants $6500. Both are longblocks. You can just change the shortblock.

A friend of mine works for BMW of San Francicsco and she told me she can get employee discount. A longblock might just only cost $8000 BRAND NEW from dealer. Remember you can get a brand new engine with 0 mile. The cylinder head might be still good. M3 cylinder head can be easily sold for $1000+. To change out the engine would only cost around $1400 (I already checked 20 hours of labor at $70 per hr.) Like I said, if you know how to work on the M3, you can save even more. If you have the resouces, you can fix this car for $5K like I said. $9K is overestimated.
Old 08-07-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
bmw3series
Banned

My Ride: ///M trizzle
good luck 25k for a salvage m3 is still 2 much, especially if the car had the most important part changed its engine. Whatever good luck dude, btw is this flood?
bmw3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
fbones

NOT a flood.

The car was running and the engine went. Like I said, it maybe a recall issue. But I think dealer will not fix because of the salvage title.

Thanks for your interest.

PS- There are many (esp. 01 - 02 models) M3s out there that don't have the original engines under the hood due to the recall (engine failure) issue. I don't see this as a big deal as long as the car doens't have anymore mechancial problem. It is not like the car was involved in a flood, or major wreck.

Last edited by fbones; 08-07-2005 at 11:13 PM.