E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

View Poll Results: Which mode do you use the most?
Steptronic 31 44.93%
Sport Mode 18 26.09%
Normal Automatic Mode 20 28.99%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2002, 12:09 PM   #21
jaytee0401
Thread Hijacker!!!

My Ride: ur girl!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by VinceTopazBlau325i
Steptronic most the time! Especially after I retrofitted the Switchtronic system...

hey vince,

how did you retrofitted that???you have a DIY? Parts#? looks really cool and interesting...
jaytee0401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 12:37 PM   #22
basically

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
M Steering wheel with -/+ pads

Quote:
Steptronic most the time! Especially after I retrofitted the Switchtronic system...

Hi VinnyTopaz,

I am very interested in M3 steering wheel with -/+ pads you have done. Could you provide me with more information? For example, did you need to route extra wires and connections so that the -/+ pads can work?

Thanks!
basically is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 12:47 PM   #23
pfloyd57
Dale Earnhardt's Double

My Ride: 2001 330 Cic
I use Sport Mode except on the twisties, then I shift.

I've had manuals for like 20 years. I'm tired of clutching. Wish I had Vince's setup. SWEET!
:smile:
Old 05-07-2002, 01:16 PM   #24
lilfame

My Ride: 323ci
How do you switch between steptronic and normal automatic mode? I got sports mode figured out but I though steptronic was normal mode?
lilfame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 01:17 PM   #25
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Basically there are gear ratio profiles.

With normal mode you get well normal gear ratio's. With sport, more aggressive and manual falls somewhere in between. Also gear management differs. Like manual mode allows you to change the gear and if you don't change within a specified RPM range, the computer will change is for you. Basically, yes there is a difference. That's why Dinan sells a transmission chip upgrade. It doesn't give you HP or Torque but gives back more of the aggressive gear ratio's that the drive by wire takes away allowing you car to always perform at its best and not when the car decides based on driving habit. I want power when I want it not after I needed it. I've found that pressing the gas in and out of kickdown raises the gear ratio faster. Try it, floor the car to kickdown, let off just enough till it notches out of kick down and floor it again. I found that three times is sufficient. no don't wait one second in between pressing in and out of kick-down, do this very fast and hold peddle to the floor until the speed you want is reached. The difference is about .3 seconds in 0-60. Basically when you accelerate into kick down, it goes at a normal gear ratio as the RPM climbs, by pressing in and out of kick down, you tell the car's computer that tells the transmission control that you need more power which means more aggressive gear ratios.

Quote:
Originally posted by PCDawg
Is there a difference between Sport mode and fully auto mode??

I thought it was one and the same....is there faster shifts with the sport mode......sorry for being stupid
KevinJ_2k1_325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 01:21 PM   #26
KevinJ_2k1_325ci

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Nope its a GM tranny in the 3 series

Here's the link. I recall that its for the 323/328 and a modified version was used for the 325/330. Unless they did a switcheroo, but my last infor for the 325/330 is that the tranny didnt change just the control module.

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpower...m#applications

here's specs on the current tranny:

Maximum Engine Torque:
280 lb (380 Nm)

Maximum Gearbox Torque:
494 lb (670 Nm)

The new valvetronic apparently will use a new tranny that is lighter weight but 70 lbs! I think thats what they have in the new 3 series compact.

Quote:
Originally posted by Amir
Gm tranny web?? Isn't the steptronic transmission in the 330, the 5 speed auto gearbox from ZF?
ZF transmission

I'm pretty sure the URL points to the right transmission.
KevinJ_2k1_325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 01:24 PM   #27
Full Time Hit Man
Banned

My Ride: E46
Send a message via AIM to Full Time Hit Man
When I get a chance to drive a step tranny, I use it all the times.
Full Time Hit Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 01:27 PM   #28
edwars2

My Ride: '01 330 CI
Send a message via AIM to edwars2
Quote:

Vince,

Not to call you out or anything but do you really have this conversion in your car? I noticed that your car is tobaz where as the pic showing the Step with M3 steering wheels and paddles is in a silver maybe white car and the interiors are different. If you did get this done could you please provide how it was done? If not direct myself and others to whom has it done, the car that you have a picture of it with it.

Thanks!!!!
edwars2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 01:49 PM   #29
biggiestuff

My Ride: E46 POS
Send a message via AIM to biggiestuff
I use step all the time except when I'm on the phone. Step allows me to shift a bit higher in the RPM than S mode or Auto mode. I don't have to worry about the computer shifiting for me in step except when I'm decreasing speed, but even then I'm controlling the downshifts. It's more refined than a manul stick but it does lack that feel and the performance. That's why I'd love SMG. That is truly the best of both worlds. equal performance with the convenience and efficiency of steptronic.
biggiestuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 04:25 PM   #30
XeetBMW330ci
www.xeetstreetband.com

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to XeetBMW330ci
Quote:
Vince,

Not to call you out or anything but do you really have this conversion in your car? I noticed that your car is tobaz where as the pic showing the Step with M3 steering wheels and paddles is in a silver maybe white car and the interiors are different. If you did get this done could you please provide how it was done? If not direct myself and others to whom has it done, the car that you have a picture of it with it.

Thanks!!!!
Plus, the shadows cast on the padels don't look realistic. ...and you haven't responded to anyones inquiries yet. I suspect a fake!
Old 05-07-2002, 09:45 PM   #31
e46craze
Euro.Techniks

My Ride: ESS TS2 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to e46craze
wheel

yeah what's up vince...Is that for real or what...And if it isn't you better stop playin' around....

But if its for real, that **** is CRAZY!!!!!

C'mon let the board know the deal......

I mean I could of done that in photoshop or something....

hey whats up edwars...I see your post
e46craze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 10:18 PM   #32
SteveAceVA

My Ride: 03' CB M3
After 6 months of having Steptronic (in manual mode), I have gotten use to the timing. I went from manual to Step because of traffic, cell phone, clients in my car, etc. There certainly is a delay with auto/step when shifting, but if you time shifting properly, it is not all that bad. I have the ECIS intake and UUC TSE and I just love the slight hiss/whistle when shifting gears! You can never replace a manual gear box/tranny, but step is definetly a good alternative...but not as good as SMG.

SteveAceVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 10:54 PM   #33
JL

My Ride: 2002 325i
Haha, Vince does exist

Quote:
Originally posted by basically

Hi VinnyTopaz,

I am very interested in M3 steering wheel with -/+ pads you have done. Could you provide me with more information? For example, did you need to route extra wires and connections so that the -/+ pads can work?

Thanks!
Vince does exist, and he did do the retrofit on his steering wheel. He normally posts over at bimmerfest.com, but when I last spoke with him (last week), he was out of the country, and didn't get to check the boards as often as he'd like.

He did do the retrofit on his car (topaz blue 325i), as well as someone else's car (hence the silver color). Look for him over at bimmerfest, and he'll probably respond to you.
JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2002, 10:56 PM   #34
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross

My Ride: 2001 Jet Black 330Ci
Its For Real

Quote:
Originally posted by e46craze
yeah what's up vince...Is that for real or what...And if it isn't you better stop playin' around....

But if its for real, that **** is CRAZY!!!!!

C'mon let the board know the deal......

I mean I could of done that in photoshop or something....

hey whats up edwars...I see your post
I know Vince. He's an honest guy (not to mention a serious Alpina-Nut) and he really did do this. I saw his Alpina wheel myself at Bimmerfest. He tested the M3 wheel first before putting on the Alpina wheel. Vince drives a Topaz Blue 325 and to my knowledge, he has done this retrofit to 2 other Bimmers. I personally don't know what is involved, but I think its really cool how he had the ingenuity to do this. As for the details, I think he decided against posting the specific details, but you might want to try sending him a private message or email.

Oh, and on the subject of Steptronic. I use it 99% of the time. I am however re-learning how to drive a manual and will upgrade to a 6-speed ///M3 (manual, not SMG) sometime in the future.

Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote